SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Non Resident FL CCW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non Resident FL CCW Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
I started a thread in the Essential Edge asking if it was legal to carry my OTF auto knife while in FL, I am a resident of MI with a CPL. The only answer I received stated that I needed a CCW to legally carry it, as opposed to a CPL, if true how do I go about applying for a non resident CCW in FL?

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
FL DOACS

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
check this page out.

FL will or they did when I applied to send you a package with everything you need.

Unless something has changed you need to provide proof of training that meets their requirement. Fingerprint card. They will send you the card and you have to have it done by law enforcement. No digital fingerprint was allowed when I renewed about a year ago.

I would look through the FL website and have them send you a package.

https://www.fdacs.gov/Consumer...ealed-Weapon-License

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Florida and Michigan has reciprocity with each other. You have to follow the laws of the state you are in. Having a FL concealed weapons license while I'm in Michigan means I have to follow Michigan law. The reverse holds true as well. I'd like to see the FL statutes that say you can't carry a knife concealed in Florida as a MI CPL holder.

As an example, the maximum speed limit in Florida is 70mph and the maximum speed limit in Michigan is 75mph. When I'm driving with my FL driver's license in Michigan, I'm not bound to obey Florida's maximum speed limit of 70mph. North of Saginaw on I-75 I can go 75mph in accordance with Michigan law.

I popped into that thread and the response was he didn't know. I strongly suspect you are fine under Florida law.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

I started a thread in the Essential Edge asking if it was legal to carry my OTF auto knife while in FL, I am a resident of MI with a CPL. The only answer I received stated that I needed a CCW to legally carry it, as opposed to a CPL, if true how do I go about applying for a non resident CCW in FL?
I believe that you are snow-birding and are here in Florida now, ¿si?

I am not sure about non-resident, but for us residents, it is way easier to go through the process at a Secretary of Agriculture (the issuing agency) office, than it is to do it by mail.

They do all the fingerprinting, photo, etc., on site, so there is no concern about whether it is done correctly, and nothing to get lost in the mail.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
a. 790.01 Unlicensed carrying of concealed weapons or concealed firearms.
b. (1) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person who is not licensed under s. 790.06 and who carries a concealed weapon or electric weapon or device on or about his or her person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
(1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s.

(13) “Weapon” means any dirk, knife, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon except a firearm or a common pocketknife, plastic knife, or blunt-bladed table knife.

In general, a “common pocketknife” is “a type of knife occurring frequently in the community, which has a blade that folds into the handle and that can be carried in one’s pocket.” The common pocketknife does not include such features as a “combat-style grip”; “large metal hilt guard” or a “notched, combat-style grip.” It also does not include a switchblade or double-edge blade. K.H. v. State of Florida, 29 So.3d 426 (2010).

All auto or switchblade are weapon in Florida and require a permit to have concealed on your person. Even though the permit covers them, they are not protected by the preemption law that covers firearms. Example Dade county has an ordinance that prohibits carrying of weapon other than firearm concealed even with a permit.

However, if the pocket knife has too many features, it might not be a “common pocket knife.” The case of F.R. vs State in 2012 found that 3-inch pocket knife with serrations, a notched grip, hilt guard, and locking mechanism does not count as a “common pocket knife.” If his knife did not have serrations, a notched grip, hilt guard, and locking mechanism, it might have been a “common pocket knife.”

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I am not sure about non-resident, but for us residents, it is way easier to go through the process at a Secretary of Agriculture (the issuing agency) office, than it is to do it by mail.

They do all the fingerprinting, photo, etc., on site, so there is no concern about whether it is done correctly, and nothing to get lost in the mail.

Yes sir I am "snow birding" here in FL this winter. I just called the local county sheriffs office and posed the question, the deputy I spoke with is forwarding via email to a detective who is the "guru" on weapons and law, he will supposedly call me back "at his convenience".

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Yes sir I am "snow birding" here in FL this winter. I just called the local county sheriffs office and posed the question, the deputy I spoke with is forwarding via email to a detective who is the "guru" on weapons and law, he will supposedly call me back "at his convenience".
Best agency to check with is Florida Department of Agriculture. These are the folks who actually issue the permits.

Not complicated, you can make an appointment with the office nearest you, show up at the appointed time, bring proper ID and your checkbook, they will process the application right on the spot, take your photo, take your fingerprints, and take your money, probably have you in and out in maybe 40 minutes or less.

For initial issue, they work by appointment. Very efficient. For renewal, you don't need an appointment, it's just a walk-in.

If you tell me where you are, either posting here or use the email address in my profile, I can get you the phone number of the closest office.

County sheriff is not really that useful, they have nothing to do with issuing the permit. Better to go right to the source, the Dept. of Agriculture.
Question: What's an OTF knife?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Thanks V-Tail I will send you an email. The county sheriff called me back already, we had quite a good conversation, he claimed you also needed to have proof of firearms training, when I told him I did not have that with me, he asked me if I was a veteran, I answered I was, he said that my DD214 was considered proof of firearms training, and that in the county court house there was a Veterans Liaison guy who could get my DD214 for me.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
OTF--Out The Front knife

As V Tail stated--Florida Dept of Agriculture.
You need proof of NRA safety class and valid ID.
They fingerprint and photograph on site. Takes about 2 weeks to receive Florida CCW for out of state residents.

Florida reciprocity is right up there with the Utah permit.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
What did the deputy say about carrying a knife in Florida using your MI CPL and Florida reciprocity?

Another thing to note is that the State of Florida has preemption for firearms, but not knives. Many local governments have their own rules about knives.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What did the deputy say about carrying a knife in Florida using your MI CPL and Florida reciprocity?

Another thing to note is that the State of Florida has preemption for firearms, but not knives. Many local governments have their own rules about knives.

He was going to do some further inquiries about it for me and get back with me in a couple of business days. He did encourage me to get a Florida CCW, said it wasn't a hard process to go through, and that once you have a FL CCW you can carry on your person pretty much what you want to, pistols, knives, automatic opening knives, Billie clubs, stun guns etc. He also said that there is no state preemption regarding knives (like MI), and that some locales forbid them.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:

You need proof of NRA safety class and valid ID.
NRA certificate will certainly do the job, but it does not have to be NRA.

Hunter safety course is good, veteran status (DD-214) is good, there are a few others, check the Florida Department of Agriculture website.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים