SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sautéed mushrooms
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sautéed mushrooms Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I just made, and ate, the best sautéed mushrooms that I've ever had in my whole life. It was an experiment – a very successful one.

I put 4 ounces of whole cremini mushrooms into a one-quart Corelle bowl. Then I put water and the canning rack into my pressure cooker, and set the bowl of mushroom on the rack. I steamed the mushrooms for 3-1/2 minutes at 15 PSI. That did most of the cooking.

Then I poured the mushrooms into a warm sauté pan which contained melted herbed butter, freshly ground black pepper, and a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Then I set the pan onto my cooktop, medium high heat, and stirred the mushrooms about until the liquid was mostly gone. Then I stirred a bit longer, with the heat turned down to medium low. Those 'rooms were sooo good!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
That sounds delicious.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I boil mine in red wine and french onion soup.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
That sounds delicious!

One of my favorite ways to prepare fresh mushrooms is to put them in a pan and cover with Try Me Wine & Pepper Worcestershire sauce. Cook until sauce reduces and thickens. Add a pat of butter. The sauce becomes spicy sweet. Love it!

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
White wine & butter...lots of butter and little garlic Razz

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Red wine and butter. I also throw in some pearl onions with the shrooms. Serve with king cut prime rib.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Sounds good, but it seems like a whole lot of trouble to go to when you can just toss 'em into a pan with butter, onions, and garlic.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That sounds delicious.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
red wine vinegar and white ground pepper

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I sometimes add a little sherry and beef stock to mushrooms as I sautee them, and then make a nice reduction. Marsala is good, too. Those are nice over a steak.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Sounds good, but it seems like a whole lot of trouble to go to when you can just toss 'em into a pan with butter, onions, and garlic.

That method works well for me too – if I’m cooking sliced mushrooms. It doesn’t work well for me if I’m cooking the largish whole cremini mushrooms – there just isn’t enough of the mushroom in contact with the pan to cook them to the degree of doneness that I like in a reasonable amount of time.

In any case, the pressure cooker part isn’t “a whole lot of trouble” for me. The pressure cooker in my mother’s kitchen got a lot of use. And the pressure cooker in my kitchen gets a lot of use. They are wonderful cooking implements, but not many folks know how to use them nowadays. They're kind of like guns – folks that grew up with them are comfortable around them. Folks that didn't, aren't.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
STOP IT!!!!! Wink

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have been meaning to try this recipie from the Pioneer Woman for Burgundy Mushrooms .
It takes nine hours Eek but is supposed to be amazing. Smile

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post