SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Montrose sheriffs respond to 'alligator' call (it wasn't an alligator)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montrose sheriffs respond to 'alligator' call (it wasn't an alligator) Login/Join 
posted
Whelp....it IS Colorado.
————————————————————————

Ok people ... there's a pretty big difference between a salamander and an alligator.

But apparently, it can sometimes be tricky to tell the difference. At least in the dark. On a porch.

That was the experience of one Montrose-area homeowner who called police and said there was an alligator on his porch.

Deputy Dominic Lovato, a 5 1/2-year veteran of the Montrose County Sheriff's Office, along with Sgt. Ty Cox and Deputy Michael Skelton, responded to the call at about 10:30 p.m. last Saturday.

"Of course we all looked at each other and said, 'We got to see this,'" Lovato said.

Lovato said he initially thought that someone's pet might have escaped.

"[The homeowner] came outside and he said, 'Please come inside," because it's out on the patio," Lovato said. "He said, 'It's probably safer to at least look at first from the patio.' ... 'My wife has eyes on it.'"

Lovato said he and the other deputies followed the homeowner out to the patio and looked out the window.

"I just looked over my shoulder at him, and I said, 'Well that's a water dog. It's a salamander,'" Lovato said.

Lovato said the homeowner was surprised and "really thought" it was an alligator.

"Well that night was the first kind of cool night that we've had going into fall now, and if I were to guess, [the salamander] was probably just looking for a little warm spot to hang out," Lovato said.

Lovato said the salamander was about 8 inches long, "big" for a salamander.

At the homeowner's request, Lovato picked the salamander up by the tail and, "crossed [the homeowner's] little fence, walked back, and I pitched it over into the canal. And that was that."

That's one way to handle an alligator call.

https://www.9news.com/article/...ligator/73-596978644

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Probably the most exciting thing to happen in Montrose in decades.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Well, there IS an Alligator Park not all that far from Montrose.....

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
M’y son was doing some by law enforcement near Glacier park (southern Alberta near the Montana border). He got a call about a field of neglected cattle. He responded to find.....goats. Some people don’t have a clue about anything but insist on having strong opinions about everything.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
The level of ignorance, or is it just stupidity, has ceased to surprise me anymore.

Where is that damned comet?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
My sister tells a story of her sons camping in a tent when they were young to her daughter in law. They heard branches breaking and foot steps and the youngest said are thems bears? They then heard a moo. The daughter in law asked my sister what was it, a moose? She is from California, valley girl!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I want some of what he was smoking...

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I responded to a call of a car parked in the middle of the road. Ok. Get there 5 min later to find it’s a fatality head on crash. It was never a parked car, it was two cars that crashed head on into each other, with broken glass and smashed car bits in all lanes. Our esteemed caller thought it was a “car parked in the road.” Moron.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I say and I say again...Reno911 is the most realistic police show I've ever watched. You just can't explain a normal day of patrol in a way that people will take serious.

At least before body cameras. Not as comical these days when everyone is worried about getting written up for making a joke on camera.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
I want some of what he was smoking...

Well, it is Colorado...

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I responded to a call of a car parked in the middle of the road. Ok. Get there 5 min later to find it’s a fatality head on crash. It was never a parked car, it was two cars that crashed head on into each other, with broken glass and smashed car bits in all lanes. Our esteemed caller thought it was a “car parked in the road.” Moron.

Yep. People are morons at times and see things that just aren’t there.

Had a deer hit by car call on the interstate one night. Unfortunately a male’s car broke down and was walking in the shoulder when a drunk driver swerved, driving on the shoulder killing him. The caller said a deer. The victim was a white male wearing a red/plaid shirt and jeans!

I do not recall any deer around dressing like that.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
One Toke over the line, Sweet Jesus.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
A whole 8"? Good thing they didn't see this:

I did make a call when I saw it. To my wife to have her send the kids out to watch the alligator walking down the sidewalk. Fish & Wildlife doesn't get a call from me for any less than 8'. The neighbors have a small dog and they call when they see small gators.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post