SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AT&T is a horrible company
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AT&T is a horrible company Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

I've been with VZW since AT&T consumed Cingular Wireless 10+ years ago and my Cingular service went to hell, and I've never looked back because it's been excellent!

Yes, I remember that. I had a great (for that time) plan with Cingular. Then, AT&T came along, gobbled up Cingular, and tried to get me onto an AT&T plan. No way, I told them. Then, one of my phones died and AT&T refused to sell me a new phone unless I dropped my plan and went onto one of their crappy plans.

That's when I left for Verizon.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
They are awful. I stuck it out with Time Warner until Google Fiber moved in. I've been up 100% up since the initial week of installation. It was shaky the first week but they were still installing in the neighborhood.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been with AT&T since the old Bell South days, never had/have any problems. My extended family (except for 2 all use AT&T) All are here in Florida. Maybe it is a regional thing. Worked well when we were all in Hawaii last year.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by festus haggen:
Which carrier does everyone like? Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or something else?

For wireless I like T-Mobile. If I had to switch I guess I'd move to Verizon. Won't do business with the thing that calls itself "at&t," these days, unless I absolutely have no other choice, and Sprint has become an also-ran.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Heck, I believe Southwestern Bell was substantially better than AT&T is now.

Southwestern Bell = SBC = "at&t" now.

AT&T begat SW Bell Tele in 1984 then everything changed. Another example of the federal government needs to stay out of somethings.

I gather most of you are complaining about the wireless part of AT&T which has never been good. SBC couldn’t change it. It was a stupid move to acquire it, but SBC just had to get into wireless and it was available for little to nothing. Then turned around and bought the mothership to compound the error. All this done by folks who were old enough to know better, but remembered the glory days when AT&T was king. Of course they spent all of SBC’s money to get a wireless company that had problems and a long distance company that wasn’t nearly what it was in the past. So they’ve spent the last couple of decades trying to make gold out of soiled straw.

In all honesty both AT&T and SBC were great companies. I worked for and retired from SBC while uncle Ed Whitacre was still the boss. It was on it’s way down then, they just didn’t know it yet.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
AT&T begat SW Bell Tele in 1984 then everything changed.

Nope. Soutwestern Bell is a lot older than that: Southwestern Bell

What became SBC was indeed a Regional Bell Operating Company (RBOC) that was split from AT&T following...

quote:
Another example of the federal government needs to stay out of somethings.

Uh huh. Because Back In The Day, where the only thing you could have on "your" phone line was rented equipment from Western Electric, were the good old days, right?

I can just imagine where we'd be, today, if AT&T hadn't been broken up.

quote:
I gather most of you are complaining about the wireless part of AT&T which has never been good.

Re-read the thread: The problems are with "at&t"s network. Not just the wireless bit, but all of it.

And my experiences with the thing that renamed itself "at&t" were all land-line-based. (POTS, COTS and Hi-Cap.)

quote:
SBC couldn’t change it.

Ah, but SBC did change it. Before Armstrong, et al, managed to drive AT&T (the real AT&T) into the ground, it was a pretty good TelCom provider. SBC? Ha! When SBC borged Ameritech we all hoped and prayed things would get better in what had been Ameritech territory. Those hopes were short-lived. (Tho I concede they did address some of the most egregious maintenance neglect with the outside plant. Some, not all.)

AT&T was still pretty good, or at least a lot better than SBC. Then SBC acquired AT&T. I feared the worst, and my worst fears were realized. Like I wrote, earlier: The horror sagas I could relate about dealing with the thing that now calls itself "at&t" are almost legendary at my old employer.

quote:
It was a stupid move to acquire it, but SBC just had to get into wireless and it was available for little to nothing.

Very little of SBC's wireless network, which had been named Cingular, was part of AT&T's wireless network. In fact: Much of AT&T's wireless network was rented/leased space on others' wireless networks. Cingular was mostly SBC/BellSouth-created or other wireless networks they bought-up before they acquired AT&T's wireless network.

quote:
Then turned around and bought the mothership to compound the error.

SBC bought AT&T for the name. By the time AT&T's management was done with it, there was little else remaining.

quote:
In all honesty both AT&T and SBC were great companies.

AT&T was once a great company. I can't speak to SBC while it was still regional, but, by the time it borged Ameritech it certainly was not "great." (Nor was Ameritech.) Michigan Bell Telephone used to be a great company, so I guess it's quite possible Southwestern Bell Telephone once was, too.

quote:
I worked for and retired from SBC while uncle Ed Whitacre was still the boss.

I was in the telecommunications field, in one way or another, from somewhere roughly around the mid-1970s until my retirement, in mid-2017. Call it ±40 years.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well if it matters, AT&T is a Texas company and it does lean conservative as well as its CEO Randall Stephenson.

"AT&T has a long history of giving to political campaigns. Since the Center for Responsive Politics started tracking contributions in 1990, the telecommunications company has donated about $48.5 million, mostly to the Republican Party and its candidates."

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
AT&T, bad enough to make you prefer Verizon.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have had AT&T cell phone service for years and no complaints. Must vary by state but my service has always been good.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I've had Verizon Wireless since 2000 and have never had a problem with their service or customer service. Coverage has only rarely been an issue, and that only out in strange places in the country. It would take a lot to make me switch.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
The tactics they use sure are reminiscent of a certain fictional olive oil importing firm featured in one of the best movies ever produced. Razz

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I've been with AT&T since 2000 when they were called Cingular and have never ever had an issue with them.

My wife had T-Mobile when I first met her and her service and reception SUCKED. I got her on my plan right away and she's happy.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in the Tx Hill Country, service is spotty. They assured me that their service covered my neighborhood with a strong signal. It seems strong, but calls are dropped all the time. They assured me that the prob can be corrected by my purchase and installation of a repeater on top of the house for 300 dollars. I’m looking for alternative providers now. Like most large corps in Tx, the own the legislature and any regulatory help is out of the question.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:

They assured me that the prob can be corrected by my purchase and installation of a repeater on top of the house for 300 dollars.

My Dad was complaining about missing calls/dropped calls/spotty service in his basement man cave that has thick concrete walls. I got an AT&T MicroCell from eBay for around 80 bucks and set it up for him and problem was solved. Needs to sit near a window where it can get a somewhat decent cellular signal, but connects to the internet (in his case, FIOS) and basically becomes a mini cell tower in your house. Works pretty well.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive been with ATT (cingular, back in the day..) for just about 20 years. There was a time when the cell service was iffy in my town, but it was the best service available where my son was going to college, so we suffered through it. The past 7 years, or so? Excellent, problem free service. I have no complaints, at all. Ok, a price reduction wouldn't hurt, but honestly, I wouldn't do that much better anywhere else.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3479 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
After building networks nationwide for all the carriers I would say Verizon is best, second is T-Mobile. I have been with TMo since they were VoiceStream.

Att is a joke (imagine .gov running a carried) and Sprint won't spent money to improve their network, that will change soon but I would give it 2 solid years before Sprint cleans their act up

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by festus haggen:
Which carrier does everyone like? Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or something else?
Ex AT&T (Bell Labs) employee here. Wife and I had AT&T cell service for more than 20 years, through all the various name changes: BellSouth Mobility, Cingular, AT&T... I might have forgotten a "name of the week" for that company.

I spend a lot of my working time in the office in the back of my hangar. There are a couple of AT&T dead spots on the airport, my hangar office being one of them. I would have to walk out onto the taxiway to get a useable AT&T cellular signal.

Everybody I knew, who had Verizon service, had absolutely rock solid coverage. I looked into Verizon, found their rates to be pretty high, and I was not impressed with their customer NO-service.

Then I ran across Total Wireless. This is one of the several MVNOs owned by TracFone. It seems that each of the TracFone companies has a different model. Total Wireless meets our needs very well. They run on the Verizon network, so they have great coverage in the areas where I go. No contract, strictly month-to-month, if you want to drop them you just stop paying, no need to "terminate" with them. The have plans for single phones, two phone plans, three phone plans, and four phone plans.

We (wife and I) are on a two phone plan. Using our already owned (Bring Your Own) Verizon-compatible iPhones, the startup cost was ten bucks per phone to purchase a nano-SIM. No activation fee. Monthly charge is sixty bucks for the two phones, unlimited text and talk, and a 15 GB pool of shared data. 5% discount if I were to go on "auto pay," but I haven't done that yet. Taxes and junk fees with an MVNO (cell service re-seller) are WAY lower than they are if you buy your service directly from one of the Big Guys. Total add-ons for us are regular sales tax, 6.5% if I buy the service card in Orange County, 7% if I buy it in Seminole, plus twenty cents per month for each line, for some sort of 911 fee. So my total monthly cost for two iPhones, talk, text, 15 GB data, is $64.30. AT&T, when we had it, was at least 50% higher with much less data.

Speaking of data, if we were to run out of the 15 GB data, highly unlikely since we have never used much more than 1 GB, Total Wireless offers a fairly inexpensive add-on for more data. Unused data from the add-on rolls over from month to month, as long as the basic service plan is continued.

I have not found a better deal than this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post