SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AT&T is a horrible company
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AT&T is a horrible company Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted
Their system has been on the fritz throughout the greater Jerkwater region again today. This seems to be a monthly deal. No internet, cell service, or landlines. Businesses unable to process credit card transactions. Some that can't even process a check. I don't know how these jokers at AT&T stay in business. They obviously don't have any redundancy to handle problems when they occur and they don't seem to give a shit.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Their system has been on the fritz throughout the greater Jerkwater region again today. This seems to be a monthly deal. No internet, cell service, or landlines. Businesses unable to process credit card transactions. Some that can't even process a check. I don't know how these jokers at AT&T stay in business. They obviously don't have any redundancy to handle problems when they occur and they don't seem to give a shit.
That's not the AT&T that I used to work for.

In the old days, electromechanical Central Office systems had a design spec of total cumulative downtime not to exceed two hours in a forty year useful life. It took first class equipment with a lot of redundancy to achieve that.

It all went to crap after the consent decree in 1984.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

In the old days, electromechanical Central Office systems had a design spec of total cumulative downtime not to exceed two hours in a forty year useful life. It took first class equipment with a lot of redundancy to achieve that.

It all went to crap after the consent decree in 1984.

It wasn’t just the gear that went to crap.

Since about the mid-90’s, I’ve come to regard AT&T as what passes for organized crime in America now that the Italian mafia has been largely gelded.

On one occasion, I became so mad arguing with one of their crooks, I hollered, “you people are worse than the phone company!!” The little voice on the other end said sheepishly, “but we are the phone company.”

My employees laughed at me for a long time. I of course meant the post office!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

It's not really AT&T at all.

What remained of AT&T was acquired by SBC back in 2005. AT&T's TelCom operations were actually still among the best in the world up until then. After acquiring AT&T, SBC simply renamed itself.

But a rose by any other name... The thing that calls itself "at&t" these days is really just SBC under a once respectable name.

The stories I could tell about dealing with "at&t" after it's acquisition by SBC... *shudder*. To this day my ex-employer will have nothing to do with them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AT&T certainly has no shortage of money to send me advertisements by mail every week, actually more than once a week, and to send people to my door several times once a year.

Why? To try to sell me U-Verse. If the system was any good, people would be telling their friends how great it is and word of mouth would do the selling. Put the marketing dollars in the quality of service instead, and stop bothering me...

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
My Uverse went down overnight for a short period. But I'll take AT&T any day over the complete assholes at comcrap.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I remember when they were professional and seemed to care. It appears that they don't even maintain their land line infrastructure anymore. Heck, I believe Southwestern Bell was substantially better than AT&T is now.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The grass is always greener with the other Internet Provider.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heck, I believe Southwestern Bell was substantially better than AT&T is now.

Southwestern Bell = SBC = "at&t" now.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
They can all piss off as far as I’m concerned, but I agree...AT&T is the worst. I dropped them after months of screwed up billing.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought AT&T was purchased by South Western Bell for the name. Then AT&T (South Western Bell) purchased Bell South.

Posts: 219 | Location: Loganville, Ga. | Registered: May 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was 1989 when they pissed me off for the last time. Haven't been a customer since and won't willingly ever give them another penny.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 225fan:
I thought AT&T was purchased by South Western Bell for the name. Then AT&T (South Western Bell) purchased Bell South.

There's much more to it than that, but those are the high points.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Nationwide outages today:
Customers report thousands of AT&T outages across the United States

Same thing happened one day last week as well.

I'm forced to deal with AT&T at work and it is a major pain - every time.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I was using the MyAT&T app today, chatting with their support about my inability to make or receive calls. I explained how I was talking to other AT&T customers in my city that were experiencing the same issue. They claimed there were no known issues near me. Total waste of my time.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Fortunately I have AT&T Cell and Home phone and have not had any issues.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
Which carrier does everyone like? Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or something else?

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I went with AT&T cell service a few years ago.

Man, what a mistake!!!

It started with "we will pay off your existing provider. When payment came it was 200 bucks shy of the total. They said "the phone you traded in was worth too much so this is what you get." WTF?

This was on he "buy one get one offer". Fine

I went in one day and asked "if I pay off the balance of these phones do I own them outright?"
"Yes sir you will own them both" So I went ahead and paid the balance.
Lo and behold, the bill comes in and I am still paying for the phones.????
Their answer was "the payment you made goes towards the free phone, you still owe for the original one !!!

So, all in all I got screwed for about 750. bucks.
The customer service trip was something to behold as well.

I should say "customer NO service"

Screw them, they will never get another dime from me,
Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Since about the mid-90’s, I’ve come to regard AT&T as what passes for organized crime in America

That is what our business is experiencing.

We have a young buck in our Finance Dept who has been trying to drill into our AT&T bills because he believes were are being over-charged. However, AT&T at first refused to provide any detail to support their charges.

At first, AT&T refused to provide any detail to support their charges. But, this young man is smart and persistent and keeps asking and digging. Now AT&T shares some information, but selectively so that he can't get the full picture.

The tactics they use sure are reminiscent of a certain fictional olive oil importing firm featured in one of the best movies ever produced. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6400 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by festus haggen:
Which carrier does everyone like? Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or something else?

For me personally, I've had awesome service and customer support from Verizon Wireless. I understand folks in other parts of the country have not been so lucky, so maybe it's a regional thing.

I've been with VZW since AT&T consumed Cingular Wireless 10+ years ago and my Cingular service went to hell, and I've never looked back because it's been excellent!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post