SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New range review - DFW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New range review - DFW Login/Join 
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted
So I picked up an annual membership a year a ago for a new range here in the DFW area...specifically Flower Mound. When I purchased the membership the ground hadn't even been broken yet.

Fast forward to this weekend's soft opening of Crossfire Defense Academy & Range for members only. The grand opening to the public will be held on black Friday. Anyhow, I went by Saturday to pick up my membership card and give the dynamic range a go with my M11-A1. Wow, this place is awesome. It's unlike any range I've every experienced. It has a total of 20 lanes...ten static lanes and ten dynamic. All rounds funnel into an AR500 steel slot where they spin off energy and then drop into an auger and out to a drum for recycling. Range air is turned over once every 90 seconds. The dynamic has 27 programs (including charging simulations and I believe four FBI training scenerios) right now along with just about any variation of manual setting. The carriages and shooting stations each have red, blue and white strobe if you like. The carriages also allow friend or row simulations. Although, they didn't have thier target backers in just yet so it was a bit tough to try out this feature. The max distance is 25yards and anything but .50 cal rifles can be used. After evaluation/training by staff rapid fire and holster draw is permitted. They also say that at some point they can configure walls and such for room clearing simulations. Went back today and put a few rounds through my AR.

The facility is purpose built and includes a retail store, cross fit/martial arts spaces (even has an indoor tower with climbing rope), outdoor workout areas, and gunsmith services. There are some great video links at the bottom of their website.

I highly recommend this place to DFW members for something quite different...at least that I've ever experienced. Although I could be wrong but I don't believe there's anything currently like this in the DFW area. The store is still a bit bare and there are still a few kinks to be worked out but I've no doubt it'll be fully stocked and everything else ready to go by the grand opening. The staff is great as well.

UPDATE: Price sheet

This message has been edited. Last edited by: texassierra,

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a few membership ranges in the area that allow movement and drawing from a holster but they're not nearly as nice as this place sounds. Maybe I'll check it out sometime soon.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Wow. That sounds like a range/gun shop that Sig Forum would open.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Flower Mound isn’t too terribly far, a little too far from me for a membership, unfortunately. It looks like a great place though, I’ll check it out for sure.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Is 24 miles from my house, supposed to take 30 minutes to get there. It does appear as if the route is a little tricky, though--involving the interchange of I-635 with SH-121 to get onto FM-2499.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Is 24 miles from my house, supposed to take 30 minutes to get there. It does appear as if the route is a little tricky, though--involving the interchange of I-635 with SH-121 to get onto FM-2499.

flashguy

Coming down 635 I take the Bass Pro Dr. exit and cross over to 26 which will take you directly to 2499 service road. Get on 2499 and exit Gerault Rd. to Patriot Way.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I'll give it a go once it's open and running.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
It's about 10 min. from my house, will check it out. thanks

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Do you have an image of the fee schedule you can post? I'm about 20-25 minutes south of there and would be interested.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
After looking at the map it looks like they’re just north of Grapevine (which isn’t too bad.).

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
Do you have an image of the fee schedule you can post? I'm about 20-25 minutes south of there and would be interested.

I saw one setting on the counter Sunday but I didn't think to take a pic. Next time I'm out there I'll grab one or get a pic. Once they open to the public I'm sure they'll post it again on their website and FB. All annual/monthly membership and daily fee information was pulled off their website on the day of the soft opening to those with current annual memberships only. They'll begin selling again at the grand opening.

NRA Life Patron

Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Know what's really cool? I live 2 minutes from Crossfire. I could ride my bike if I didn't think the crazy-ass DFW drivers wouldn't run my ass over.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JR78:
Know what's really cool? I live 2 minutes from Crossfire. I could ride my bike if I didn't think the crazy-ass DFW drivers wouldn't run my ass over.

Awesome! You must live in the apartments to the south?

NRA Life Patron

Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
quote:
Originally posted by JR78:

Awesome! You must live in the apartments to the south?

Nope, houses to the north.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Hmmm my office is in Lewisville, Eagle craw is close as well.....

Fridays will be more fun I think

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Annual price?

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Ok guys here is the price sheet that includes annual, monthly, and daily.

NRA Life Patron

Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Just returned from Crossfire. Nice place. Range has really good baffles and exhaust system. Distances are 3,5,10,& 25 yards. The other range has a dynamic target system. Both ranges are .50 BMG rated. Have to use their targets and I would makes reservations. It was packed by 1100. I’d give it a solid 7.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it is a first-class facility, but it's much more expensive than the indoor range that's only 3 miles from my house (TargetMaster) so I'm not likely to change.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post