SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Things to do in the DC area?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things to do in the DC area? Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
I'm going to be in the DC area for the next 10 weeks. I'm looking for things to do around the area. I'll me in class during the week but will have nights and weekends free, so short trips and day long excursion ideas are welcome.

I'm big into history and would like to see all the Civil War sights. Tomorrow we are going to visit Fredericksburg and a trip to Gettysburg is in the works. Any ideas or tips for getting around the area are appreciated.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Check closing times for Smithsonian museums, National Gallery. You could spend 11 weeks there (or at least I could and probably have). Don't forget the Udvar-Hazy Annex to the Air and Space Mueeum. Virginia is full of Civil War battlefields, you can get a map to all of them.
Also Maryland has Antietam, you'll need a day there, and Harpers Ferry close by is definitely worth a visit.
Mount Vernon is a must.
Monticello is a day trip out of DC.
Annapolis is one of my favorite local places to visit.

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The Memorials in the National Mall. You need to go once during the day, and once after dark. Due to the lighting, the Korea War Memorial is particularly moving at night.

I recommend a tour of the National Cathedral. It's the most ornate building I've seen in the US, and I can see how it took 80ish years to build. I was shocked to learn it was all private donations.

Arlington National Cemetary is also recommended.

The Smithsonian is actual 19 museums and galleries so there is something for everybody (e.g. American History, Natural History, Air & Space, etc).

If you travel out to Manassas, Virginia, the 1st Battle of Bull Run was fought there. It's now Manassas National Battlefield Park and cared for by the National Park Service. It's the only Civil War place I've visited in my trips to DC so I can't say how it compares to others.

If you travel out to Fairfax, VA, the NRA HQ is there and visiting their museum is on my "to do list."

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Smithsonians and the art gallery is amazing even for a non art lover.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
GO TO Arlington! Walk the grounds if you are a history buff you will not be disappointed. Just seeing g Graves of military personnel who gave there lives in all our wars was humbling. From recent wars to civil war.

RIP Sailor

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
(e.g. American History, Natural History, Air & Space, etc).

To see all the Smithsonian museums it would take 5-6 weekends. He's accidentally or purposely listed the best three there are. Make sure you see those three.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
It may be too far for a day trip, but the Luray Caverns are nice. Jefferson's and Madison's mansions are both down in Charlottesville.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jefferson's and Madison's mansions are both down in Charlottesville.

In my personal opinion, April is the best time to visit Monticello. Everything's in bloom and the place looks amazing.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
See the USMC Silent Drill team either at the Iwo Jima memorial or 8th&I.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
It may be too far for a day trip, but the Luray Caverns are nice. Jefferson's and Madison's mansions are both down in Charlottesville.

flashguy

..and also James Monroe's home is in Charlottesville.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
The Marine Corps Museum near Quantico is very well done.

If you like beer/wine/booze Northern VA has plenty of craft breweries, vineyards, and distilleries. Depending on the area, a lot are clustered so you can make a day of it.

You should probably catch a Nats game too. Not a "classic ballpark", but it's a nice park that is easy to get to on a week night via metro, and generally a good time.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:

If you like beer/wine/booze Northern VA has plenty of craft breweries, vineyards, and distilleries. Depending on the area, a lot are clustered so you can make a day of it.

You should probably catch a Nats game too. Not yet a "classic ballpark", but it's a nice park that is easy to get to on a week night via metro, and generally a good time.

I'll catch a game with any of the VA/DC/MD members that want to see a game.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
We plan to visit the Spy Museum.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Day trip to Annapolis- good walking tours available, Naval Acad - crypt of JP Jones
St. Michaels, MD, nice old seaport
Harper's Ferry WV, site of John Brown's raid
Solomon's Island MD - the Tiki Bar

Posts: 185 | Location: Deep Creek Lake, MD, Stuart, FL.  | Registered: December 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
President & Colonial Sites

Monticello, The Home of Thomas Jefferson, Charlottesville, VA <<<<<Great place to be in April, lots going on!
http://www.monticello.org/

Michie Tavern, 18th-century tavern experience, Charlottesville, VA
http://www.michietavern.com/

Highland, The Home of James Monroe, Charlottesville, VA
http://www.ashlawnhighland.org/

Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest, Jefferson's personal retreat , Forest, VA
http://www.poplarforest.org/

Montpelier, The Home of James Madison, Orange, VA
https://www.montpelier.org/

The Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library and Museum, Explore the life of our 28th president, Staunton, VA
http://woodrowwilson.org/

Shenandoah National Park , Drive the spectacular Skyline Drive
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyo...ng-skyline-drive.htm

Virginia's Civil War History <<<<<also more little (skirmishes) like the Battle of Cedar Mountain. For information on these go to Civil War Trails

Manassas National Battlefield Park, Battle of Bull Run, Manassas, VA
http://www.nps.gov/mana/index.htm

Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania Military Park, Commemorates the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wilderness and Spotsylvania, Famouth, VA
http://www.nps.gov/frsp/index.htm

Appomattox Courthouse National Historic Park , Site of the End of the Civil War, Appomattox, VA
http://www.nps.gov/apco/index.htm

If you are a hiker, Old Rag Mountain is just south of Sperryville, VA. 9 mile hike round trip. <<<White Oak Canyon is further up the road and much easier and a lot shorter
http://www.hikingupward.com/SNP/OldRag/

Shoot me an email if you have questions about any of these places or others. There is lots to do in the area, I haven't done nearly enough but a few of them. Also, don't pass over Williamsburg or Jamestown. It'll take a little longer to get there, but the history is amazing. There are a few places around Richmond that are quite historical as well.

Trees and flowers are starting to look beautiful, so if nothing else, you will have some great scenery if you just get out and drive around.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
John Mosby still rides around in Loudoun County at night if the moon is out. Wink

If you are still around in June, there is Mosby Week with the tours, etc.

http://mosbyheritagearea.org/events/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:

You should probably catch a Nats game too. Not yet a "classic ballpark", but it's a nice park that is easy to get to on a week night via metro, and generally a good time.

I'll catch a game with any of the VA/DC/MD members that want to see a game.

I'll holler at you if I hit up a game. I've been looking at their schedule.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If you like fine stone architecture, the George Washington Masonic National Memorial, in Alexandria, is worth a visit. They also have quite a bit of Washington memorabilia (more than Mt. Vernon, I seem to recall), including his wooden teeth. Smile

Along the same line of stone architecture examples is the Washington National Cathedral, at almost the highest point in the city.

Also, the National Zoo is a nice day. It is situated on a steep hill, though, and you enter at the top, so taking in the whole zoo involves a downhill then back uphill hike. To save further uphill hiking, arrive at the Cleveland Park Metro station, walk downhill on Connecticut Ave. to the zoo entrance, and then when leaving the zoo walk downhill again on Connecticut Ave. to the Woodley Park/Zoo station.

All three are accessible by Metro, but the Cathedral is about 1.5 miles from the Tenleytown stop, a downhill walk or short bus ride. Other stops also get you there, but with a bus connection or short walk.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post