SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quality dress shoes?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality dress shoes? Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I had a pair of black Nunnbush shoes that was the most comfortable things ever . I don't wear a suit very often and my wife has strict instructions to bury me in a pair of jeans . Anyway , I lost the shoes when my our home flooded last year and I will try to find another pair like them . I think I got them at JC Penney .

I've got a pair of Nunn Bush tassel slip ons that I've had for better than 25 years. I only wear them a couple of times a year but they look good with dress slacks or a suite and are very comfortable although I'd hate to run a mile in them. I've got a pair of AE wing tips as well but I seem to gravitate to the NB most times I need a dress shoe.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
Allen Edmonds. They have sales quite often with 125 off sales. Wait for one of those and don’t look back.

I think I'm going to give this a try. Thanks all!

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allen Edmunds. They have like 12 different shaped lasts so the odd of finding the right fit is much better than a brand like Cole Haan that has only one last. ALso they do like AAAA to EEE in width where as Cole Haan does one width. Ideally find an Allen Edmonds store. If not, you can order ans many different ones as you want to try from Zapos and the shipping each way is free.

Posts: 550 | Location: Gun Friendly Arizona | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
So -- a little backstory. A few weeks ago I was in Chicago. A really nice guy helped measure my feet. Even though,... I "knew" I wear an 8.5. He said I wear an 8 wide (E?). But they didn't have any for me to try on.

So I guess I could buy an 8E in a model I like and have them ship it to me to try on. If I can hit them when they've got that $125 off sale.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
That's a good start. The shoes are made on different patterns or molds. Some higher here or flatter there or differently rounded everywhere. Eventually you find one "last", one particular shoe mold that most closely mimics your foot. Once you know the "last" your feet prefer, then any style in 8E made on that "last" should feel good.

A good shop looking at the long term would be happy to ship you three-four pairs in your size, different lasts, assuming you'll probably return most of them.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
A good shop looking at the long term would be happy to ship you three-four pairs in your size, different lasts, assuming you'll probably return most of them.

I emailed that guy and asked to know when he'd be in. I'll ask him for that when I reach him. For sure, I'd be loyal as hell after that.

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Rogue

Where are you in PA? AE has a shop in King of Prussia...maybe Pitt also. Go if you can and get fitted

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Had to come back and ask, since this thread was already going. Had a client come in yesterday with his dog, and noticed his really nice low quarter boots. Inquired about them and he took one off to look for the brand: Thursday Boot Co.

Any of y'all ever owned/worn these? The quality looked great, and I like the pattern. With pants worn "normally," they almost look like casualish dress shoes.

https://thursdayboots.com/products/mens-brown-captain

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Had to come back and ask, since this thread was already going. Had a client come in yesterday with his dog, and noticed his really nice low quarter boots. Inquired about them and he took one off to look for the brand: Thursday Boot Co.

Any of y'all ever owned/worn these? The quality looked great, and I like the pattern. With pants worn "normally," they almost look like casualish dress shoes.

Nice look but only in D-width.....need a EEE here.

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
So -- a little backstory. A few weeks ago I was in Chicago. A really nice guy helped measure my feet. Even though,... I "knew" I wear an 8.5. He said I wear an 8 wide (E?). But they didn't have any for me to try on.

So I guess I could buy an 8E in a model I like and have them ship it to me to try on. If I can hit them when they've got that $125 off sale.

They have a flash sale for 3 days with really good prices on some nice styles. More than 125 off in some cases.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/ou...hoes/?sz=18&start=18

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Almost 200 off on the exchange place which is a beautiful formal shoe. Other options as well.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/ou...shoes/?sz=18&start=0

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Rogue this flash sale would be a good opportunity

posted Hide Post
I have noticed recently that the price of Johnson and Murphy shoes is much lower than I remember, leading me to believe the quality has also dropped. Perhaps someone bought the company and name. That's what happened years ago with Frye boots, when their quality went to crap.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
one possibility is to order a couple of sizes that straddle a range.

One can measure your foot size but there's nothing like feeling how your feet feels inside the actual shoe.

Just be careful to try the shoes indoors and on carpet so that you can return them.

Another option is to go to Nordstrom and they carry a variety of sizes. I did that. I bought the pair. But afterwards, I bought 3 other pairs of the same kind from online at a lower price.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

Nice look but only in D-width.....need a EEE here.

Guess they listened.....Wides (EE...EEE) now available.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Allen Edmonds for sure are fantastic shoes that last.

I now have two pair of their boat shoes, and they are awesome casual boaters.

The leather is so nice on these and all AE shoes.

Get on their email list and you will get frequent sales that really help to get into a pair.
Long ago I got a couple of cap toe Fifth avenues for my suits.

So comfortable after the cork filler molds to your feet.

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post