SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quality dress shoes?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality dress shoes? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
I know we've had a thread on this once in the past. I'm in need of a good quality pair of oxfords. Actually two (brown and black). Johnson & Murphy don't seem to be it... Bought a pair and the (paint?) of the soles are peeling off and showing a much lighter color underneath which looks, terrible. I wore them only once. I'll be trying to return them.

I've heard Allen Edmonds is good. Anyone else?

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Allen Edmunds

Research which 'last' is right for you.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/di...shoes-101/lasts.html

Shop their seconds through the shoe bank. You have to call the store that has the shoes but they will ship to you.

https://www.shoebank.com

I have three pairs, aged 9, 7, 5 years old. They get recrafted every couple years.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have had 2 pair of Bostonians the higher end with leather soles and special insoles (custom flex or something like that). They were closer to $200.
That have been great. I need a new pair and it appears they have been bought by Clarks and have been crapped down so I'll be following here.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allen Edmond's
or
Church's

idem ea dixit

Posts: 1390 | Location: Daphne, AL | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have odd shaped feet and wear perscription orthotics so finding dress shoes is a pain. I just spent several hours in an Allen Edmonds store trying on everything they make. AE is expensive, but they are 100% recreftable with more sole options than you really need.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I second AE. Expensive, but worth it.

J&M used to be a great budget dress shoe, but their quality has gone to hell over the last few years.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
AE for sure. I've also heard that Church's are great, but haven't tried them. Check out the outlet section http://www.allenedmonds.com/outlet/ Prior to AE I had tried a number of men's shoe brands because the German company I had been buying for had begun obviously outsourcing. I went to a local men's store and got a pair that fit from them. This confirmed my fit from an emergency pair I had bought in New Orleans a couple years before. Since then I've ordered from the online store/outlet.

Absolutely also look at Shoe Bank which lets you find shoes that are out of their production and discounted. It lets you see which stores have a particular shoe. You can then email or call the store and arrange delivery. I picked up a number of their shoes inexpensively this way. Email shoebank@allenedmonds.com or one of their outlet stores and ask if there will be an upcoming sale and for a list of shoes that will be available in your size and width. If there’s something there that catches your eye, and they have it in your size, that’s when you order by phone. Yes… the phone. Commerce via the telephone, very 20th century. When you use the WI store they are super nice, with that great Wisconsin accent and everything.

They also offer recrafting, so your shoes don't have to be disposable any more.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
After my "favorite" pair of $100 department store dress shoes fell apart and could not be recrafted, I finally went into a stand-alone mens shoe store. Worked with the owner to find the right style which fit my foot. The "last" you hear people talking about.

Wore AE for a while but went over to Aldens. I still have the same Aldens, some going on seven years old, getting regular wear.

Regardless, for a really good-fitting shoe, you want to talk with a shoe shop owner-operator. Someone with skin in the game. Someone with a passion with shoes, who does not want to see you leave his shop with bad-fitting shoes.

Premium shoes feel better on your feet, and, with care, will last for decades. Run the numbers and you’ll see, it is less expensive to buy quality.

The next step, which I may never take, is to become acquainted with a good cordwainer.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
AE, Church’s or Alden.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I've been a big fan of Johnston & Murphy since I got my first pair in law school. Wore J&Ms every day for years when I was practicing. Don't dress up very often these days but still have a couple pairs of J&Ms in the closet (probably about 10 years old and looking great). Just resole them as needed and recondition the uppers every few years and you will be good to go.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually like dress shoes that wear well and are comfortable. I like Eccos. Best sole on any dress shoe I have ever worn.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have been out of the dress-up work force for quite a while, so it has been a long, long, time since I have bought dressy shoes, but back when I wore them every day, my first choice was Florsheim.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Allen Edmonds or Alden.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Johnston & Murphy

J&M fan here as well.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
allen edmonds

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
After suffering plantar fasciitis in one foot after the other and having to go with orthodics, I found Rockport shoes. They offered a very dignified shoe in both black and brown, not expensive. I had been wearing Florsheims, AE, etc, expensive shoes. The Rockports have been terrific.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alden shell cordovan; Goodyear welt, Horween Shell Horsehide. Yes, are very expensive, but properly cared for and they will last a lifetime.

Posts: 172 | Registered: August 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I had the last thread on this and ended up with allen edmonds. Definitely find a store and try them on because the shoes I thought I wanted were way too narrow and did not fit right even in E width. The shoes I ended up with fit great and I wear them every day.

I have since bought three other pairs now in the same last, different style/colors. Once you find the last that fits you best you can buy online and they run great deals. My last pair were on clearance and only $200.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I actually like dress shoes that wear well and are comfortable. I like Eccos. Best sole on any dress shoe I have ever worn.

Another vote for Ecco from me. Very comfortable shoes that can be resoled by NuShoe.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Cole Haan for me.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post