SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    University apologizes for using Nazi general's quote to motivate students
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

University apologizes for using Nazi general's quote to motivate students Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I recall a comment made by an Army Officer in a documentary about Desert Storm. They had taken many prisoners and loaded them in the back of his Bradley. One of the prisoners noticed a picture of Rommel taped to the inside and asked "why do you have a picture of your old enemy?"

His driver responded "Shut up, and if you'd spent more time learning about him, you wouldn't be sitting in the back of my track"

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
While they're at it, shouldn't they be banning Mercedes Benzes, BMWs, Porsches, Maybachs, Volkswagons, and such since one could show how these companies supported the Reich's war machine?

EDIT: Dang it, those kids will have to stop driving Japanese cars, and oh yes, Italian sportcars because several of those companies/industries supported the Axis.

If they really want to be logically and ethically consistent.

Double edit: I guess Patton should be posthumously reprimanded for having read Rommel's book! Big Grin

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrToad:
While they're at it, shouldn't they be banning Mercedes Benzes, BMWs, Porsches, Maybachs, Volkswagons, and such since one could show how these companies supported the Reich's war machine?

EDIT: Dang it, those kids will have to stop driving Japanese cars, and oh yes, Italian sportcars because several of those companies/industries supported the Axis.

If they really want to be logically and ethically consistent.

Double edit: I guess Patton should be posthumously reprimanded for having read Rommel's book! Big Grin

Logic and ethics are not involved here, and maybe not even practiced any more in universities.

Kind of like dinosaurs, you hardly ever see them these days.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrToad:

Patton should be reprimanded for being too aggressive. Someone could have gotten hurt.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post