SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    University apologizes for using Nazi general's quote to motivate students
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

University apologizes for using Nazi general's quote to motivate students Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
A university in England apologized after a quote from a Nazi war general was used to inspire students.

Careers services at the University of Exeter quoted Erwin Rommel, a World War II Nazi general known as “Desert Fox,” in an email blast to staff and students with a scenic sunset background, Sky News reported.

The controversial email quoted the senior member of Adolf Hitler’s Nazi war machine as saying: “One cannot permit unique opportunities to slip by for the sake of trifles.”

The National Union of Students said in a statement that Jewish students have been feeling “increasingly unsafe” at universities, and often avoid applying to certain campuses due to “fears of anti-Semitism.”

“Exeter must take appropriate action to rectify the damage caused and provide sufficient reassurances that something like this will never happen again,” the group added in a statement.

The University of Exeter had to apologize after a careers services staff member accidentally sent out a quote from a Nazi war general to inspire students. (Google maps)

A university spokesman said the staff member who picked the quote did not know who Rommel was, and the information was taken from a random quote generator.

“This was a genuine error and in no way intentional, however we apologise unreservedly for any offence it may have caused, and have put additional processes in place to ensure this doesn’t happen again,” the statement said.

BBC reported that Rommel’s quote was from a campaign against British troops in North Africa, when he was commanding the German Afrika Korps.

While historians debate how closely Rommel supported the Nazi regime, the student newspaper, “The Falmouth Anchor,” reported that he served as commander of Hitler’s personal bodyguard, however, he died after being accused of involvement in a plot to assassinate Hitler when it was clear the war had been lost.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rommel had some other good quotes Exeter might use:
"It will be the longest day".
"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, brains save both".
All in all, a pretty savvy dude, German or not.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Ironically, Rommel tried to kill hitler and was at best lukewarm about the nazi party.

He WAS however a very intelligent general officer.

Sure, he fought with the nazi army there's no getting around that, but he wasn't philosophically a nazi, like many others of rank in the German Army at the time.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:

Sure, he fought with the nazi army there's no getting around that, but he wasn't philosophically a nazi, like many others of rank in the German Army at the time.

It might be more accurate to say that he fought for Germany, his country.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not all Germans were Nazis and not all Nazis were German. Rommel was not a member of the Nazi Party, and to refer to him as a “Nazi general” because he served in the Wehrmacht is like calling Stanley McChrystal a “Democrat general” because he served in the US Army under the Obamanation.

That doesn’t excuse whatever Rommel may have done, including serving a murderous regime, but Nazi is not an accurate term to describe all Germans in World War II.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
And none of that distracts from a good quote, or justifies revulsion of positive idea just because it came from Rommel.

What is anti semetic about the Quote?

Good grief!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Good grief!

Indeed.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Only an institute of higher learning could make such a stupid mistake of subject identification.

Yes, you can quote me on that one.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
And none of that distracts from a good quote, or justifies revulsion of positive idea just because it came from Rommel.

The Brits could have benefited greatly from emulating Rommel's thoughts and ideas during the war.

I've read Rommel's book going over his battles as a junior officer in WWI, "Infantry Attacks", and there is a lot of good, solid military thinking in it. If they don't study that in our (and Brit) military academies, they are missing out.

If Jewish students in the UK are indeed
quote:
feeling “increasingly unsafe” at universities
I would be very surprised if imperfectly-sourced aphorisms was found to be the cause.

I wonder what might be higher on the list of possible causes of Jewish folks in the UK feeling a bit insecure. Could it be anti-Semitism in the UK's immigrant groups' reinforced by ineffectual (but politically-correct) policing?

Nah, what was I thinking. They can't point fingers at immigrants without reinforcing the correctness of the UK regaining controls of their borders via Brexit, and it goes without saying that the students will not be allowed to arm themselves....so 'virtue signaling' is about all that's left.

So, rejoice, Jewish students in the UK. You may have to go to school in an increasingly hostile environment, defenseless, but at least you won't have to listen to Erwin Rommel.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
During the height of Rommel’s success in North Africa, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill sang his praises before the House of Commons. “We have a very daring and skillful opponent against us,” Churchill declared, “and, may I say across the havoc of war, a great general.” George Patton, Bernard Montgomery and other top Allied generals likewise expressed their respect for him, and Rommel responded in kind, saying of Patton that “we saw the most astonishing achievement in mobile warfare,” and that “Montgomery never made a serious strategic mistake.” Rommel was no Nazi and is in fact, still celebrated in Germany today...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

Gesichtpalme

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I am sure they would be more comfortable with quotes from Marx. Or perhaps even Stalin...

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Truth is truth regardless of the source.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
This is stupid. Rommel was one of the greatest generals in history. As someone said truth is truth...and, yeah not material to the issue but he tried to kill Hitler and paid with his life.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
" You magnificent bastard! I read your book!"

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Truth is truth regardless of the source.
Right on. Beat me to it.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
" You magnificent bastard! I read your book!"

Razz Exactly what I was going to post, haha.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Hitler liked Wagner, so anyone who listens to Wagner is a Nazi, right? Roll Eyes

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Yet werner von braun a known SS officer took pictures besides walt disney and all is fine....

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
Hitler liked Wagner, so anyone who listens to Wagner is a Nazi, right? Roll Eyes

Hey, don’t be knockng Wagner’s music.

It’s not as bad as it sounds, you know.