SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NC seems close to getting constitutional carry
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NC seems close to getting constitutional carry Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I haven't been keeping up with the overall odds, but it has passed one side of the NC congress critters and is headed to the other. Does this have a chance in passing?

As a citizen in NC, I like the thought of the right to keep and bear arms.

As a police officer in NC, I predict some monumental stupidity until the gene pool achieves homeostasis if this is passed. And a learning curve for us officers.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Looks like stores and shopping malls will still be able to post a sign to deny you of your 2nd Amendment right. Having a concealed permit now, I am not sure there is much benefit in North Carolina House Bill 476 for me. Pass a law that tells retailers that they can't discriminate against me when I am exercising my 2nd Amendment right, and then I will get behind it.

Strike this from the law, or don't bother.

"(c) Prohibition on Carrying Handgun on Posted Private Property. – A person shall not
carry a handgun on another person's private property if notice is given that carrying a handgun on the premises is prohibited by either the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. This subsection does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is discharging the officer's official duties."

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Im not sure this is the best solution. A LOT OF YAHOOS will be carrying guns because they are not legally prohibited from doing so. And the majority of these folks are an anti gunners dream.

Like it or not - AND IT DOES HAVE ITS FAULTS - the NC Shall Issue policies filter out those too lazy or too stupid to pass a minimal gun safety and gun laws class.

I predict there will be quite a few incidents that will provide fodder for the antis.

And I am left wondering about gun purchases. Do all of us need to buy purchase permits now? Can you still use your CCW permit to purchase guns, until it expires? Or does everyone get a NICS check now? Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I have my doubts and concerns. I don't think the minimum age should be lowered to 18. I'm concerned about the other states we have reciprocity with it. Will they stop recognizing NC?

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
People who shouldn't carry are going to regardless of the law. Personally I hate haveing to get a permission slip to protect myself. It is already legal to open carry in NC, what difference would making it legal to do so concealed? You would still need a purchase permit or a carry permit from the sheriff to buy. Many states have passed constitutional carry and the streets are not running red with blood. Fearing constitutional carry is the same as fearing any type of carry. It's nonsense. The only people that are prevented from carrying are the law abiding. As for the age, an 18 year old can vote and join the military, but they can't carry for protection? Silly.

Although I think this will pass both houses, I see the govenor vetoing it.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Im not sure this is the best solution. A LOT OF YAHOOS will be carrying guns because they are not legally prohibited from doing so. And the majority of these folks are an anti gunners dream.

Like it or not - AND IT DOES HAVE ITS FAULTS - the NC Shall Issue policies filter out those too lazy or too stupid to pass a minimal gun safety and gun laws class.

Roll Eyes

I can't tell you how tired I am of this way of thinking, that one must pass a class deemed appropriate by the government before he or she can carry a gun for self-defense. Just tired of it. Right down to my bones, sick of it.

quote:
I predict there will be quite a few incidents that will provide fodder for the antis.

I predict there will be zero such incidents. As there have been zero such incidents from every other State that has gone the Constitutional carry route.

quote:

And I am left wondering about gun purchases. Do all of us need to buy purchase permits now? Can you still use your CCW permit to purchase guns, until it expires? Or does everyone get a NICS check now?

I'm sure there would still be a CCW permit available for those who wish to have one. I don't think this law changes anything in that regard.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
From what I have read of the law, the PPP and CCW rules for purchasing stay in effect. I would also assume that reciprocity would stay the same, that other states would recognize the permit. Many states that have constitutional carry still issue permits for this reason.

A friend of mine open carries everywhere he goes. Why? He never felt like going through the permit process. He certainly can, just never has. So guess what the law would mean to him? Instead of carrying his pistol visibly, he would be able to cover it with his t-shirt. Wow. Watch out! Murder in the streets!

ETA:
Here is the proposed law.

http://ncleg.net/Sessions/2017...House/PDF/H746v2.pdf

Besides basically saying you can carry concealed without a permit (just like you can carry openly) it clarifies a few items for the issuance of a permit, specifically pertaining to the mental health records. Pruchasing rules stay the same, and the law specifically states permits are still issued to ensure reciprocity and to make purchasing "efficient".

I would ask any NC residents to call and write their representatives and tell them to support this. Remind them who put them in office. I have.

Any law that allows a law abiding citizen the ability to more easily exercise their rights is a good law.

Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
My concern is with reciprocity and how this could negatively affect a NC CCW holder.
We need to make changes at the Federal level, while we have both chambers of Congress and the Presidency.

Changes at state level should be focused on freeing up where we can carry.
Drop this allowing businesses to post no guns allowed signs.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Hope it passes.

If you can pass the NICS background check and sheriff approves you pistol permit, then you can buy a handgun and open carry without any additional training requirements. Doesn't make sense that you need to pay additional $ for CC training and additional $ for another background check from same sheriff just to put a shirt over it.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Couldn't agree more
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
My concern is with reciprocity and how this could negatively affect a NC CCW holder.
We need to make changes at the Federal level, while we have both chambers of Congress and the Presidency.

Changes at state level should be focused on freeing up where we can carry.
Drop this allowing businesses to post no guns allowed signs.

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
So you in NC need a pistol permit to purchase a handgun? Bummer.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Its a good thing IMO, I will keep my CCW for the times I am in other states.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I too like how many states recognize the NC permit. But how would this law change that? Those states recognize the permit, the process for which does not change. If states use this to end reciprocity then it is just an excuse, and they can use anything, at any time if they want.

I personally want to see an abolishment of both the PPP and the CCW. The state mandated firearms course is a joke; it wouldn't weed out a dandelion. All they do is put money in the state coffers. When I first moved back here a few years ago I was surprised at how repressive and antiquated the firearms laws were. When I finally retire to my "forever place" I am moving back to a free state. Until then though, I write, and call, and donate to try to make this state better.

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Yes, but once you have a CCW that serves as the pistol purchase permit.

So, if CCW permit goes away, then everyone would need a PPP for each purchase?

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The CCW permit is not going away for the purpose of reciprocity or purchase. The proposed law specifically states this.

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
My thought process on this is, if you know everyone might be carrying, you will be a lot less likely to pull one out.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Trooperdan
posted Hide Post
I don't think the governor will ever sign it

Posts: 946 | Location: Raeford NC | Registered: April 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Well that would be good considering CCW's are taking 6 months in Mecklenburg county.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Yup it's an old Jim Crow law passed to keep blacks from buying guns legally as it gives the sherrif discretion on who he issued permits too. There's a provision for "good character" that is ambiguous and can be applied for any reason. The motivation for keeping it on the books now is that the county sheriffs make $5 a pop. There have been proposals to get rid of the purchase permitting system but the county sheriffs constantly fight it.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Well that would be good considering CCW's are taking 6 months in Mecklenburg county.

And while people focus on the permitless carry aspect of this, the more important parts of the law to me are the ones dealing with CCW permit issue. As you are aware some sheriff's are delaying permits due to certain "mental health" checks. This tries to clear them up a bit. Overall a great law, but as stated I am afraid the governor will just veto it.