SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shaving Mug Soap - Ideas
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shaving Mug Soap - Ideas Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted
For my 75th birthday my life partner turned a very nice mug, brush and razor handle for me. It has been many, many years since I have use mug and brush and much has changed.

For those that do still use a mug can you recommend a good soap cake? Price is not really an issue, I simply want one that has a good lather and may even have a fragrance?

BTW - I love the wood she selected, Black and White Ebony from Southeast Asia.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I switched to Truefitt & Hill creams a few years ago and enjoy it much more than soaps:

https://www.truefittandhill.com/collections/shaving

That is their page for creams and soaps. I have used their soaps as well, and enjoyed them. I would expect one of their shaving soap refills would achieve what you are looking for. They usually also send some samples. If one is of their creams and you like it, you may consider getting a tube of cream, which you can apply to the brush and whip up in the mug in the same manner of a soap.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I prefer shaving sticks that I apply directly to the face and then lather up w/ a brush.

But, two of my favorite soaps come in puck/bowl form too. D.R. Harris and Tabac.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using scrap Dove soap bars in my mug and it makes a nice creamy lather that actually works extremely well. So, instead of throwing away the small bit of soap that's too small to wash with, my wife and I just throw it into the shaving mug.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wood is great!

I use this one and like it a lot.

Posts: 29 | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brminpin:
I've been using scrap Dove soap bars in my mug and it makes a nice creamy lather that actually works extremely well. So, instead of throwing away the small bit of soap that's too small to wash with, my wife and I just throw it into the shaving mug.

This is what I did when I shaved twenty years back.
Now days I be grisly adams Cool

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frog in boiling water
posted Hide Post
I use Col. Conk world famous bay rum in a puck or
Mr. Taylor’s shaving cream.

Posts: 429 | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve been shaving with a mug and a brush for most of my adult life. Over the years I’ve tried many different shaving soaps, some rather expensive. I long ago settled on Williams. It’s been made since 1840 (Martin Van Buren was President). It costs about a buck, and it just works.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.iowanaturals.com/product/mens-shave/

This shave soap is amazing and you can't beat the price of $5.75 for an 3.5 oz puck. And it is made in the USA.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I use the unscented soap from Art of Shaving but I am sure they have scented as well.

https://www.theartofshaving.com

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I use this too, it's my favorite.

quote:
Originally posted by sharfer:
The wood is great!

I use this one and like it a lot.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have shaving this way for about a year and I use Williams.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Crema Sapone stuff too. Several years ago I got it off Amazon, I think, and it had a nice little cup with a tight snap lid that works great when I travel. I only use about 1 bar a year, though.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful shaving set. I'm also 75 years old and have been using a mug and brush for about 50 years. I've tried many cake soaps and creams and have settled on Williams. In fact, I bought a cake today at a local supermarket for $1.29. I occasionally use one of the expensive creams, but I don't think they're 20 times better. On the other hand my German SIG X5 is easily three times better than a standard P226!

Posts: 121 | Location: Ohio | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've used numerous shaving soap cakes over the years but always return to this one. I prefer the unscented to scented.

https://www.amazon.com/Van-Hag...-Ounce/dp/B004L48O36

As an aside my favorite creams are from Taylor of Old Bond Street (avacado, rose, etc.) and George F. Trumper (coconut).

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
https://www.truefittandhill.com/collections/shaving

I liked what I was looking at on that website, until I realized the razors use Gillette blades, the quality of which have taken a real nosedive the last few years. I still use them, only because I haven't been able to find anything better, and haven't had a decent shave since they moved production to Mexico.

As to the soap, I'll have to check out some of them next time I'm at a drug store. The last one I bought was many years ago, made by Colgate and nothing special.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I started shaving with a double edge last year, here are a few of my favorites...

Perfectly Natural Soap Citrus Menthol

Found it on Amazon, but they have their own website I have bought from as well. https://perfectlynaturalsoap.com I also have their Bay Rum and Lavender Tea Tree Eucalyptus, but I tend to prefer Citrus scents most of the time.

Also a fan of Maggard’s they offer trial sizes, good for about 3-4 shaves, that let you try a variety without committing to an entire container. Can sample their house brand or the other big brands as they package the samples themselves. Their Maggard’s Lime and Bergamot is my current favorite.

A few others I use:

Chiseled Face Santa Paula
Wet Shaving Products Citrus Blast
Captain’s Choice Lime
Stirling Soap Co. Margaritas in the Arctic

I also will supercharge my soaps and creams with a little Cremo, either regular or menthol.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suggest looking at the Badger and Blade web site for much information on everything wet shaving. Cella (Italian)and Tabac (German)soaps both are easy to work into lather and are good and relatively inexpensive. Mitchell’s Wool Fat (English) is a little more work to lather but contains lanolin and is good for my skin. As for blades, I’ve gone almost exclusively to Feathers (Japanese’s.). They are very sharp and shave very well once your technique is good.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government

Posts: 129 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Also, it’s that time of year to enjoy a scuttle to whip up a nice thick lather and keep it warm.

Love my Georgetown Pottery G20 second. I have yet to figure out the flaw that makes it a second, but saved cash over the “Flawless”.

http://www.georgetownpottery.c...duct/SHAV0002-2.html

Or the smaller G12...

http://www.georgetownpottery.c...duct/SHAV0003-2.html

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood

They are on amazon.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post