SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cinco De Mayo Celebrations Cancelled because of Trump.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cinco De Mayo Celebrations Cancelled because of Trump. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
At least that is the way that the radio just put it. After years of being coddled by Barry the Red, the illegal invaders are now apparently scared.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Big Grin

And now for the good news from CNN.

CNN)Amid heightened paranoia in the country's immigrant communities, South Philadelphia can bid this year's Cinco de Mayo celebration, "Hasta luego."

El Carnaval de Puebla, which for a decade has drawn thousands of revelers to South Philly, won't move ahead as planned this year for fear that attendees -- many of whom travel from other American cities and Mexico -- could be targeted by federal immigration agents, event organizer Edgar Ramirez said.
"We don't want any incidents. There's a little bit of fear in the community," he said. "It's sad to cancel the event, but we don't want difficulties for anyone."
US Immigrations and Customs Enforcement was quick to say the community had nothing to worry about.
"ICE's enforcement actions are targeted and lead driven. ICE does not conduct sweeps or raids that target aliens indiscriminately," ICE spokesman Khaalid Walls said in an email. "US Immigration and Customs Enforcement fully respects the rights of all people to voice their opinion peacefully without interference."

That said, the administration of President Donald Trump has done little to assuage the concerns of America's immigrant communities. Within a week of taking office, Trump signed executive orders facilitating the construction of a wall on the Mexican border, fast-tracking and expanding deportations and stripping sanctuary cities of federal grant money.
After a raid last month that netted almost 700 arrests -- most of them criminals, according to ICE -- there were widespread reports of undocumented immigrants keeping their children out of schools and forgoing family nights out. Some abandoned social media. Others refused to answer their doors. Nervous parents and children constantly texted and called each other to make sure everyone was OK.
Meanwhile, public school systems released statements explaining they intended to protect any immigrants among their student bodies.
It appears that, in addition to ensuring attendees aren't targeted, El Carnaval de Puebla wanted to make a political statement about this state of affairs.

Ramirez said he "wants to see the community treated with respect," while one of the event's founders, David Piña, told Philadelphia-based Al Día that a secondary message behind the cancellation is "to raise a voice of protest" opposing the White House stance on immigration.
Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney said he was disappointed to hear the fear gripping immigrants had manifested itself in the cancellation of a city event. His administration will do what it can to make sure El Carnaval de Puebla goes ahead as planned in 2018.
"I'm devastated to hear that ICE has had such a chilling effect that Philadelphians no longer feel comfortable engaging in this public celebration," he said in a statement.
"While we can't stop ICE from conducting these raids, I want our immigrant community to know that we want them here, we remain committed to being a Fourth Amendment city and protecting these values, and we will do whatever we can to help them feel comfortable bringing this celebration back in the future."

Past celebrations have drawn as many as 15,000 people. Roughly half the attendees travel from outside Philadelphia, organizers say. In the city itself, about one in eight residents is Latino.
The event features a parade of dancers, in ornate masks and costumes that cost as much as $1,500 apiece, honoring the 1862 Battle of Pueblo that took place during the second Franco-Mexican war.
"We know that everything is uncertain, but we do not want them to take the risk," said a post on the event's Facebook page. "Carnaval is so important because it is the representation of our community in this city, and it represents a mixture of cultures. For the past 10 years we have been proud to share with our neighbors our tradition.
"But under these sad circumstances, it does not seem fair to us, nor is it now an environment conducive to a joyful celebration. Much of our community has other priorities. We do not want to increase one more risk."

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, "Fourth Amendment City"? Is that new code for sanctuary?

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
My my things are changing,new Sheriff is working on some minds.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm confused Confused

Why did they cancel? I'm pretty sure it's illegal for ICE to randomly stop people with brown skin and ask them for their papers. Having a few drinks and wearing festive clothes is not illegal. Just don't have such a good time that you end up in jail and you can have your little party.

Canceling this event is nothing but a jab at Trump. They are all saying he's so racist we had to cancel our party. Bullshit. They were in zero danger of being sent HOME.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Must be more illegals in the mix than we imagine.

Otherwise, this makes no sense at all.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
They are victims.

There is nothing more important than that.

Victims of fear and oppression in this once happy carefree land.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
They are victims.

Yeah, but in this case, they are oppressing themselves, out of ignorance.

Like a self-inflicted wound. I don't think they issue Purple Hearts for those.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't expect a fake new organization to publish something honest and unslanted.

To ask a larger question, why celebrate Cinco de Mayo? May 5th is not Mexico's independence day, but instead is the day of a minor, inconsequential victory in Puebla. It is minor and inconsequential since a few months later the French seized Mexico City and placed an emperor over Mexico.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Cinco de quatro...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
They are victims.

Victimhood is the most important status in our political publicity culture. They do stories, tear jerking segments, about victims, interviews on TV, internet glory. Nobody pays attention of the ordinary bruises and sprains of routine life. Congressmen rush to provide help, church groups hold bake sales, bingo games, fish fries, civic groups sponor booths at fairs, to gather aid to victims, of disease, famine, oppression, sociologists get grants to do studies, a perpetual edition of Queen for A Day. It's the American Way!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
But Meester Trump we peoples just wan to celebrate de Cinco de Mayo...Joo cannot deport the millions of the peoples for thees!!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Quitters...

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
They are victims.

Victimhood is the most important status in our political publicity culture. They do stories, tear jerking segments, about victims, interviews on TV, internet glory. Nobody pays attention of the ordinary bruises and sprains of routine life. Congressmen rush to provide help, church groups hold bake sales, bingo games, fish fries, civic groups sponor booths at fairs, to gather aid to victims, of disease, famine, oppression, sociologists get grants to do studies, a perpetual edition of Queen for A Day. It's the American Way!

I blame social media for a lot of it. And an ignorant population.

I saw a post on the face space this morning calling for justice for a boy's dog that had been shot by a mean old neighbor. The mean old police were refusing to "serve justice" for the killing. They had a hashtag calling for justice. They had 60 or so shares. They had posters calling for lawsuits, calling the state attorney general's office, calling the media, etc.

Now, the neighbor may be Norman Bates, I don't know. But, based upon the "victims" details in her post, the neighbor followed the state law, and was entirely within his legal ability when he dispatched Bucky to the sweet by and by. It sucks losing a pet, especially having someone kill it. But, they probably shouldn't have let it run free if that was the case. Or at the very least, understand what the state law actually says about dogs running free after the hours of darkness.

But, the internet was ablaze with wanting vengeance and "justice". With no regard to the actual law or pesky details. People were setting up a gofundme for the legal battle.

Everyone wants a cause these days.

www.opspectraining.com

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Putas!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Social media in the hands of an ignorant population spells the end of the culture as we have known it.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
And next year, we'll cancel St. Patrick's Day and run off the Irish. Razz

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Ya ever notice how swear words in other languages don't seem so bad? Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They are posturing, pure and simple.

Philly is a sanctuary city right now and the Feds aren't going to swoop in there to do jack shit.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
"America's immigrant communities"

Do you suppose that was a typo, Didn't he mean 'America's illegal alien communities'?

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Probably just putting it on ICE.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post