SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Six Horrible Problems with Social Media That Most People Haven’t Grasped Yet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Six Horrible Problems with Social Media That Most People Haven’t Grasped Yet Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
To me, I think its the individual's own doings that can be swayed by all discussed on social media. How many of you spend more than an hour each day on Sig Forum?

Reality is something many try to escape, isn't it.

To me, a big downside is most youth of today have lost art of conversation. Years of animated speech has destroyed any means of coherent talk.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Please help TOG. What is NPD?

NPD = Narcissistic Personality Disorder. One of the B clusters of PD (the others are Borderline, Psychopath/Antisocial and Histrionic).

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet people said that about the telephone when it first came into being. How people didn't sit out on the front stoop and talk anymore etc.

The problem is with people and how they use social media.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I bet people said that about the telephone when it first came into being. How people didn't sit out on the front stoop and talk anymore etc.

The problem is with people and how they use social media.

Not even apples and oranges. More like apples and go carts.

The telephone is a verbal transaction between 2 people. Social media basically gives the user their own little TV studio and newspaper all rolled up in one.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
As to the article. It is hard to argue.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I hate to be the party pooper, but half of these ideas were stolen from the 1970's book Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television

What is old again, or plagiarism. Not sure which.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
They sell all your data and information. And it pushes people into NPD. It’s all trash and I have never used it and never will.

NPD? Is SIGforum not a form of social media? I’d argue with much higher standards of behavior, but nonetheless...

Are we using our real names on here? No.
Is Para harvesting our data? No.
Are we connected on here with millions of idiots? No.

If you don’t understand the difference I can’t help you. This subject come up and people vehemently defend their social media apps. I think those fucking apps are a plague on society. The phone is gas, and social media is the lighter. Boom boom. Likes, twats, it’s all bullshit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
2. It’s destroying attention spans and making us shallow

Yet, I have always viewed myself as shallow, despite the wife of 33+ years and those six kids (at least down to two teenagers, and only one still in high school).
Does this mean I have my own form of NPD?? I only have a minor in psychology, so I'm not totally certain of my self-diagnosis.......

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
7. It's making me withdraw from a decaying culture.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I've never used any of the surveillance media, and I never will. I also will never have an Alexa or any other 'digital assistant" in my house.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Please help TOG. What is NPD?

NPD = Narcissistic Personality Disorder. One of the B clusters of PD (the others are Borderline, Psychopath/Antisocial and Histrionic).

Thank you.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THIEF/banned
posted Hide Post
Its create this always happy and everything is bright and shiny life that isn't real. people don't post their challenges, they post their good times and viewers think life looks that wat 24/7.

Posts: 71 | Location: PA | Registered: July 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post