SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First seaplane ride
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First seaplane ride Login/Join 
posted
Got to take my first seaplane ride, a hop from Kenmore, WA to Lake Union in a Turbo Otter, got to sit in the copilot's seat. Then from Lake Union to Roche Harbor in the San Juans. Can't wait to head back tomorrow. The flights are making it worth going to my wife's friend's wedding.

Actual planes I flew on but not my pics.

Definitely something on my bucket list and something I'll do again. My wife even asked how much a Beaver was and if I could commute to Seattle in one.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
No bueno with the pics. Bueno.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: craigcpa,

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
No bueno with the pics.

I know, having a hard time linking them with my phone

posted Hide Post
I flew on Kenmore air out of Lake Union to Victoria,BC about 5 years ago on a turbo otter. It was the best thing I did when I visited Seattle, it was a lot of fun and the view was stellar. The Boeing air museum was the 2nd best thing.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Neat airplane. They are used around here by some of the skydiving outfits (not the float version).

Type rating NOT required (10,500 lbs gross). Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I flew on Kenmore air out of Lake Union to Victoria,BC about 5 years ago on a turbo otter. It was the best thing I did when I visited Seattle, it was a lot of fun and the view was stellar. The Boeing air museum was the 2nd best thing.

Museum of Flight is awesome, had an all day work meeting there a month ago, kept trying to sneak out of the conference room.

posted Hide Post
The San Juans are Paradise.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

Yeah I regret not scheduling a fishing charter while I'm here.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
They buzz my home constantly ... but they’re so neat to watch. I’ve been in a DH Beaver ... those engines are really very loud!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Most fun ride in a plane I have ever had was in a Beaver on floats.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Most fun ride in a plane I have ever had was in a Beaver on floats.

Pretty cool when they break free of the water/friction. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
once, on a fly-in fishing trip to the English River flowage in Western Ontario, while sitting in the copilot's seat with a ten gallon can of gas between my knees, I noticed that the Airframe of the DeHaviland Beaver I was riding in said 1954. No worries, those things are indestructable.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
We took a sea plane from Key West to fort jefferson. Great trip, snorkeling was awesome, the fort is really cool to walk around.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
Got to take my first seaplane ride, a hop from Kenmore, WA to Lake Union in a Turbo Otter, got to sit in the copilot's seat. Then from Lake Union to Roche Harbor in the San Juans. Can't wait to head back tomorrow. The flights are making it worth going to my wife's friend's wedding.

Actual planes I flew on but not my pics.

Definitely something on my bucket list and something I'll do again. My wife even asked how much a Beaver was and if I could commute to Seattle in one.

Hopefully the weather was good for you (or will be tomorrow). Crappy and rainy (but I love it!) in Tacoma today.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

They were also "Ground Zero" in the Pig War of 1859:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...onal_Historical_Park

A must see during a visit to the San Juan's

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flying floats is some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

I took my commercial checkride in a seaplane a long time ago, and have found flying off the water to be the most enjoyable flying I've done.

Beavers and Otters are great aircraft, albeit expensive to operate. They're among the most nostalgic of aircraft on floats, too.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Float planes are a blast. You should go take a lesson and get a hold of those controls yourself!

I flew this for a few hours this summer up north of Anchorage. Always fun to add some float time. Kinda spendy though!!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Invisible SF friends, If you want to see something cool with seaplanes, they have an annual Fly-In here in the Yoop every summer at Grand Marais. Which has a number of competitions, including a bomb (water balloon) competition. The whole thing is a propeller powered hoot and has aircraft from all the country.
And the seaplane ride from KW to Fort Jefferson is on my bucket list

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
If you go down to Brown Seaplane base, you can do it on the weekend. Know guys who go to the sun-fun fly in, and go over just to get the rating.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
If I had a secret lair you'd definitely need a float plane to get there.

That or an Osprey.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post