SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honda Accord or ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda Accord or ? Login/Join 
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I’m leaning towards the Accord is because of their longevity. I just don’t want a $400+ payment. I plan to put about 5k down on it. I’ve seen a few cars, 2014-2015, priced under 20k that I need to look at. The local dealer even has a 2015 Civic with only 3000 miles, not a typo, for $16,900 on the window. I would prefer the roomier Accord but need to look at all options.

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Living, as you do, in the snow belt AWD is an important consideration.
My wife had two Subaru Foresters and was very well satisfied with them.
We live in a lake effect snow area.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
My last three cars have been Accords. Currently have a 2016 Accord EX, purchased new in March, 2016. Has 24K miles on it. I've changed the oil a few times, & took it to the dealer for a transmission software update. Not a single problem to report.
My oldest child is driving my previous 2013 Accord Sport (has close to 60K miles). She's put a battery & a starter (starter sort of surprised me) in it, along with a new set of tires.
Three other children drive CR-V's ('07 with 105K, '11 with 65K, & '13 with 40K). Oldest son has an '07 Pilot with 90K.
Just basic maintenance for all.

When youngest gets her license after 1st of year, she'll get the '07 CR-V, second oldest will get my Accord, and I'll get a new car.

I am a believer in purchasing a vehicle, instead of leasing. Leasing can be viewed as renting, with no real equity to show for one's payments.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:

Living, as you do, in the snow belt AWD is an important consideration...

AFAIK, the only Hondas with AWD are (in ascending order of price and size) the HRV, CRV (which I have), and Pilot.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
I recently was looking at low mileage Accords. These cars are in high demand. For around $16,500 you can buy a 2014 LX with around 30,000 miles and some stains on the upholstery. Same story with Camry. Because it is believed you can get up to 200,000 miles they really don't drop in price significantly til you get to around 60,000 miles. If you want gently used then low mileage Accords aren't a good value. I think the value factor is better for the Hyundai Sonata and Nissan Altima.

Maybe where you are.

I paid $15,500 for a 2013 Sport with 22k miles in cherry pristine condition.

Mid size sedans are no longer in demand anywhere and used prices have been falling across the board all year. People who need a vehicle bigger than a compact turn to crossovers now.

Nissans are junk these days. They have really lost their way. Hyundai is fine and are super aggressive in their pricing. They aren't exactly lauded for their build/material quality and driving dynamics though.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the money of a slightly used one (1-2 years old), I'd just go brand new. Unless you are looking at fully loaded, then the pricing starts to make more sense. Realistically, newer cars are so nice that fully loaded doesn't have the cache it once had in my experience.

If you go Accord, go 4 cylinder. Better gas mileage and I believe longevity is better. Better fuel economy too.

Have you looked at the new Civics? They have recently gotten bigger, and are now the size of what Accords were a few years ago. Might be just what you need. They aren't really a compact car anymore.

Posts: 796 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:

Accords just last forever and people know it so it is tough to make the math better on a slightly used one.

I kept eye an eye on low mileage 2016 and 2017 Accord Touring models for a few months. The best deals I found were 2016 models with under 10k miles. They were priced about $1000 under 2017 new prices for the same mdodel. It was a "no-brainer" for me.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:

Accords just last forever and people know it so it is tough to make the math better on a slightly used one.

I kept eye an eye on low mileage 2016 and 2017 Accord Touring models for a few months. The best deals I found were 2016 models with under 10k miles. They were priced about $1000 under 2017 new prices for the same mdodel. It was a "no-brainer" for me.

Here's a 2016 Touring with under 10k mile and it's $7000 cheaper than a new one...

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/...ue#listing=182687285

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's a 2016 Touring with under 10k mile and it's $7000 cheaper than a new one...

It's not really fair to compare full retail for a new car to PPBV on a used car. I paid $30,400, before TTL, for my new 2017 Accord Touring in February of this year. Dealer was 20 miles from where I live. I am sure there are better deals to be had on the 2017's that are still out there. Now if you could find that 2016 touring with 10,000 miles and it was priced around $24,000 that would be an unbelievable deal, and I might actually travel to Maryland to buy it.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 accord lx 6cyl. Extremely solid. Still running strong when i killed it after 10 years and 240k miles (accident). I figured what the hey, got a 2014 accord. Well quality and materials went down hill fast. Car feels cheap. And i doubt i will get anywhere near 200k on this one.
AVOID THE CVT LIKE THE PLAQUE.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Just saw a video by Consumer Reports car guys (yes there is such a thing). They were talking about the 2018 Accord, which is lower, sportier, very substantial feeling--BUT they mentioned that there are a lot of 2017 Accords on the lots right now, and it would be a great time to get a good deal on a '17 model--maybe a couple thousand off MSRP. I haven't seen the '18 yet, I'm seriously considering it along with a couple of other sedans and some crossovers. Big Honda/Acura fan.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Honda all the way. We have 3 Accords and they keep getting better. Our 2014 V6 is as quick as my late 60s muscle cars and a blast to drive with a nice subtle exhaust growl when given some throttle. On trip we got 37 MPG on the highway!

The brand new 2018 Accord is getting great reviews. The new 2.0 turbo is as quick as the V6 with the new 10 speed automatic. Honda resale values are excellent largely because of their reputation for long term reliability.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars...a-accord-first-test/

"Might it be possible to design a midsize sedan so attractive, so dynamic, and so generally compelling that it at least slows the sales exodus from sedans to crossovers? Probably not, but wow, Honda sure is giving it the old college try with its 10th-gen Accord. The design is cleaner and more upscale inside and out, the mainstream engines are both turbocharged, and each can be had with your choice of a sporty six-speed manual transmission or a paddle-shifted automatic. And get this—not only is the bigger engine adapted from the hot-hatch boy-racer Civic Type R, but when paired with a spanking new ten-speed automatic the sedan’s also quicker to 60 mph than the Type R!"

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2016 Accord last year and it has been a terrific, trouble-free car.

I also really liked the Camry. I would have gone with the Camry except I didn’t care for the new grille design Toyota has been using.

Just an aesthetic preference of mine though, I don’t think you can go wrong with either the Accord or the Camry.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Another chime-in for Honda here. I have a 2010 Accord Crosstour and love it. At some point, Honda dropped "Accord" from this model name and actually discontinued the Crosstour altogether with the 2015 model year.

These were offered in AWD. My 2010 has, I believe, every feature available for that model year other than AWD. I don't live somwhere that AWD is a critical factor.

I will look seriously at another Honda when the time comes, though I admit I'm eyeing some Mazda and Subaru models, as well.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd never buy a Honda ever again I currently drive a 08 CIvic and while it hasn't shit the bed yet since I bought it used with low miles in 09. Even though I'm at 60K miles wise and have taken care of the car the has had all sorts of little problems a new car shouldn't have.

Parking brake broke because it's a cheap 2 piece design made on flimsy plastic.

I had to replace the sun visors twice once under recall and they are still falling apart since they didn't change the crappy design. After a class action lawsuit for peeling paint and having the car repainted it's happening again with in a few years and it's still happening on newer cars.

The starter went out with in 5 years while my friends POS 98 Malibu is still working.

Have been always been a Toyota family and even though Honda's have more re-sell value if you plan on keeping it then the get the Toyota. To add insult to injury my neighbor owns a Corolla same year as my Civic and his paint still looks new.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dfens,

Posts: 966 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Mazda is made by ford

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1302 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We sold 2010 Accord and bought a 2016 Subaru Legacy. Both are really good cars but the Subaru is much better in the winter.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
If you go Accord, be aware the cloth seat upholstery stains easily and is very difficult to clean. If you are shopping used, you will see the issue for yourself. Best to get black cloth or leather. It is a well known issue.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
Mazda is made by ford

Not quite correct. Ford started acquiring shares of Mazda in 1979 and in 2002 they gained control of Mazda with a 33% stake in the company until late 2008, when they announced they would sell a 20% stake. Ford then continued to divest their shares over the next 7 years, and were completely out in 2015.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Camry and Accord always via for #1 in reliability. I judge a car by how often it breaks and with these two that is almost never.

I think the Accord looks better but I'd get a Camry.

I'm hear to tell you there is a reason places like CarMax exist. A 5 year old car is NEW. My first car from them was a 1996 Acura Integra and I put 200k miles on it over a decade and it already had 100k on it when I bought it. Then bought an 06 Toyota Avalon drove it to the 200k mark (7 1/2 years) and now the wife drives it (because her Chevy Cobalt was falling apart around her). Now I have an Acura RSX that had 85k on it and now has 115k cause I drive the piss out of it and it drives like NEW.

I liked the Avalon so much I might get another one. Super comfortable mile muncher. Super safe and the engine in that car kicks ass! Tons of torque everywhere in the power band.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post