SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honda Accord or ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda Accord or ? Login/Join 
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted
Looking for a used car, leaning towards an Accord It will be my wife’s car. She leans toward leasing new, I’m thinking low mileage used may 2-3 years old. I’ve always been a Ford truck guy but not a fan of the Ford Fusion. Accords seem to have good dependability as far as I can tell. A coworker of mine used to work at a local dealership and has given me a guy he trusts to deal with, I do trust the coworkers judgement as well. The dealership has Honda, Subaru, Ford, Kia and Hyundai. Also have a Nissan dealer close by. Not going to go Hyundai (had one and did not like). Daughter has Kia Optima, not a fan of that either.

So what do the SigForum brain trust recommend as far as a good sedan or wagon or whatever. I’m also torn on the buy vs. lease. I do have money to put down.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
My last two cars have been used Toyota Camrys. I couldn't be more pleased.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Honda makes good cars.

A good female friend bought a used 2 years old Mazda6 a year ago. It's a really nice car in the same size class. She was able to get a great price on it also.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Mazda6

You won't be disappointed.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I bought an 08 Honda Accord EXL V6 in 2010 with 30,000 miles on it. Had it 7 years and put 110,000 mile on it. Great car, probably the best I have ever owned. I put a timing belt in it when it turned 100,000 miles, other that nothing out of the ordinary for repairs. I traded it in on a new 17 Honda Accord Touring back in late February. Very happy with it so far!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2017 accord coupe ex-l v6. After almost 25 years of years of driving and 15 or so vehicles, I can say without a doubt that this is my favorite. Very comfortable, quiet, good gas mileage, faster than I will ever need, and absolutely reliable.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
Mazda6

I agree completely.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
Mazda6

I agree completely.

I haven’t considered that, will be giving that a look. I did have a Camry as a company car in the past, need to consider that too. Good advice so far, keep it coming

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Mazda 6 if you like sporty.
Accord if you like well rounded.
Camry if a smooth, quiet transportation capsule fits your needs.
Legacy if you want/need awd.

While the Hyundai Sonata/Kia Optima are quality vehicles I don't think the drive is as nice as those above.

Not a fan of any Nissan except Godzilla.

I love my 15 Accord Sport, especially with the 6 speed manual. It's a family sedan you can heel-and-toe. Smile

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm on my third Odyssey (grandpa-mobile). My next one will be a Honda.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Bought a 2003 Accord in 06 that just came off a 3yr lease. Had 23K miles on it. It now has 158K miles and the only reason I am getting rid of it is after 2 hip replacements my wife has a little trouble getting in & out because it's low. She also takes her mom different places and wanted something a little higher off the ground to ease entry and exit.
Bought her a Toyota Rav 4
Accord has good resale and retains value better than other cars of the same yr and mileage.
That being said, sometimes it's not easy getting a "deal" at a dealer.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
While the Hyundai Sonata/Kia Optima are quality vehicles I don't think the drive is as nice as those above.

Agree with you there. While the Hyundai/Kia lines have made great strides in the past year and have definitely shortened or maybe even closed the gaps between their Japanese competitors in many ways, I do not feel the Korean brands are as refined as the Japanese brands.

However, you do seem to get more creature comforts as standard at a lower price point in the Korean lines.

We have about 150,000 miles between 3 Hyundai/Kia vehicles. Only issue that has come up has been a catalytic converter failure on a Kia Sportage last year. It was well within the warranty so parts and labor were taken care of by Kia.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
I would say go with the wife on this, the new 2018 Accord is a huge step forward, and will last forever.

Me, I would get the 18 Accord Touring and keep it for 10 years.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Low mileage Toyota Avalons are pretty easy to find, large, fairly luxurious, and will last a long time.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Low mileage Toyota Avalons are pretty easy to find, large, fairly luxurious, and will last a long time.

The newer avalons are great and very quick and fun to drive. They updated the styling in 2013. My parents had one and loved it.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Honda or Toyota. Stay away from Nissan. Every Honda I've had has gone over 200k miles with no issues. Currently have a 2014 Civic Coupe for my long distance driver. My other vehicle is a Toyota FJ that I absolutely love. I have put 125k miles on it and still going strong. I am going to hold onto it until they come out with the FJ replacement. I have had Nissan Altima and Xterra. Would not buy another Nissan after that.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I highly doubt you will save a lot of money buying a 2-3 year old Accord. If she is not picky, you might be able to find a 2017 on a lot that the dealer is willing to sell at a discount.

Accords just last forever and people know it so it is tough to make the math better on a slightly used one.

If you are going to drive it until it dies, buy new and take care of it. It will last you 200k miles or more.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Accord and Mazda6 are the leaders in the category when it comes to driving dynamics which, honestly, is the only reason people buy these cars anymore versus a crossover.

Mazda6 longevity is an unknown, Honda has the better reputation there.

I would buy one gently used unless you want the new Accord just released.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I purchased a new 2013 Accord EX-L V6 in Sept 2013. My first Honda. Excellent vehicle, very reliable, quiet, fast, and lots of good tech. Everything works perfectly, couldn't be happier I made the choice. The only thing I've replaced is the factory battery this last month. I suspect it will outlast me as my last car. Still looks and drives like new. I'll give my 2-thumbs up for a car priced in this range Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently was looking at low mileage Accords. These cars are in high demand. For around $16,500 you can buy a 2014 LX with around 30,000 miles and some stains on the upholstery. Same story with Camry. Because it is believed you can get up to 200,000 miles they really don't drop in price significantly til you get to around 60,000 miles. If you want gently used then low mileage Accords aren't a good value. I think the value factor is better for the Hyundai Sonata and Nissan Altima.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post