SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Mal is severely injured so I called the John Wick 3 breeder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Mal is severely injured so I called the John Wick 3 breeder Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
My rescue Mal is severely injured. All wounds from the original owner who severely abused her. I got her from a K9 officer in South TX who rescued her from a farmer who had got the dog off the streets. At that time she was near death due to malnutrition showing hips and ribs. She still has bad nightmares from the abuse, still hates me throwing a dirty shirt into the hamper (original owner definitely threw objects at her as a pup) but otherwise she is a worker, an extremely athlete. Prior to these debilitating conditions she sprinted 30 mph and had a 48 inch vert with no assistance.

A week ago I was working her, and she was favoring the left leg. Not uncommon for a sprain. A few days in water training (life vest and paddling) she was back to normal. Last Thursday night I was working her mildly on some tall soft grass (no hard surfaces just in case) and her right leg gave out completely, she fell to her back and screamed in pain. She could not walk so I had to carry her inside, carry her outside to use the bathroom and hold her up while doing so. Took her to the vet on Friday. Mother fucker man. Bullet above the left knee or bullet fragment, hip dysplasia in right hip. And a neurological disorder, my vet (masters and doctorate, and almost 40 years of experience) thinks bad disc. So that's 3 surgeries necessary and the Mal won't deal with any of it. She got cut in the inside of her paw once a few years ago requiring stitches. It took a total of 7 trips to the vet because she'd rip off the bandage (they hate change of any kind) then rip out the stitches. Even with a cone, and wedged into a crate when I'm not home she'd manage to get the dressing off and ultimately stitches. It was quite the ordeal. Took 7 trips and many weeks for it to take and she was a real PITA the entire time because they get depressed and angry when they cannot work and burn the energy off.

She is on cortisone and rest and I'm praying for her to heal. Mals don't do well when they cannot work. She is already in a state of depression being forced to lay around all day and stay off the leg sans bathroom trips. She can now go on her own but she's dragging the right rear paw, they call it knuckling and it's painful for me to watch and took quite the toll this past weekend. She's hurt, I'm hurt. Surgery would entail one to remove the bullet fragment, back surgery, and hip replacement and it's too much for the dog. Dogs don't deal with surgery and rehab like we do. So i can only pray she heals, can walk again and she'll retire from working duties and stay with me.

I went through this 4 years ago when I had to put down my imported GSD. She got Leukemia, and I had to make the humane choice. I rescued the Mal 7 days later as I think it does no good to wallow in pain, emotional and mental. To me you get right back on the horse and it was the best thing for me and the new to me dog at the time, finding a home with someone who can deal with the breed. As a handler and dog lover they are my closest companion and it's just a way of life. I've had a number of dogs and my current Mal and I have the tightest bond I have ever had with a K9. I went through a lot of bad shit as a child so we connect that way and she knows it. Vet techs always tell me night and day from when I first brought her in to get fixed and get shots.

So I talked to my GSD breeder I know and made some calls today. Got a hold of the K9 officer I rescued my current Mal from, etc. While doing routine research on a solid Mal breeder I found one in state that does quality Mals. Talked to them, and they have a breeding taking place now that I could put a deposit on. Rest of their breedings are booked for 12-18 months and I found out why on the phone. They provided one of Halle Berry's Mals for John Wick 3 and that's the Dam that has a long deposit list on. I put a deposit down on a female today for another Dam with a smaller Sire which is what I want. Also got a colleague in on it and he's getting the last female in the litter.

So my current Mal is about to have a daughter which I hope will lift her spirits or I'll have a replacement K9 in case the worst happens. Prepping for both and trying to not be a crying baby about the whole affair is difficult as she is only 5. My colleague was pretty stoked to be able to say he is getting a Mal from a John Wick 3 breeder. He has working dog experience and the whole family is really excited.

Here is Tai that was in the film.

https://www.lonestarelitek9kennels.com/tai-chien

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I pray that your pup will get better. Having just this past week put down one of my cats, I know how difficult it is.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope your Mal is able to recover. I feel your pain. I have a GSD due to turn 12 next month that has hip and back issues and it is killing me watching him decline. I know the time is coming soon. My GSD had some training when younger and I miss watching him in action. My other dog is a GSD/Great Dane mix. Beautiful dog but has more of a Dane disposition. Once I put my GSD down I will be getting another. Again, my prayers that your girl recovers.

Posts: 334 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Thank you. It is tough but I try to remind myself that it’s not life but how you deal with it. I just wish I could find the abuser. I’d love to have a locked room and this clown at my disposal. I’d pay handsomely for the privilege. Hope Karma gets them.

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope things work out for the best.

I had a Shepard Husky mix that was my best bud from grade high High School. After I went off to the military, my folks said he aged more in that year than he had in the previous 5. He used to be able to grab my pants leg and trip me up from a full sprint.. God he loved to run me down. Got to the point he'd wimper and cry at the 3 steps in/out of the house.
My folks let me take him on his last ride when I got leave for the holidays... it was the first time my wife ever saw me cry from pain.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Damn

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Thank you. It is tough but I try to remind myself that it’s not life but how you deal with it. I just wish I could find the abuser. I’d love to have a locked room and this clown at my disposal. I’d pay handsomely for the privilege. Hope Karma gets them.
I've said many times, hurt or kill my dog and you and I are going to spend 10 minutes in a locked room...and I'm bringing my three foot wrecking bar with me.

I'm hoping and praying for the absolute best for your friend.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Pre - The tale of the abuse that your girl suffered and the residual effects really moved me. I have a Black and Tan Coonhound that my daughter rescued from the pound a few Summer's back. She was heartworm positive (since treated) and from the notes the pound took upon intake, they nearly put her down due to a lung infection (but she responded to treatment). She still frequently yelps in her sleep, a heartbreaking sound that can only be from nightmares.

I have found at least two pellet gun pellets or BBs under her skin in various places, and she growls very low when I get my head near hers. Cant imagine what she went through.

You are a good soul and your efforts to help out your Mal and not give up on her go above and beyond the call of dog owner duty. Kudos to you Pre.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
There must be a special spot it hell for those whose abuse dogs. I hope things work out for your pup.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Praying for your Mal.

I lost my 12 year old male Bouvier to a heart attack about two years ago, and in my search for a replacement was given a female who didn't whelp well on the condition I got her spayed.

This breeder's neighbor was abusive to the dogs by yelling at them, and she thinks shooting them with BBs (she couldn't prove who, but the dog was shot).

Freya was three when we got her (she was imported at five months from Poland), and she loved my wife and boys, but wanted nothing to do with me. I just talked to her softly, and gave her my plate with egg yolk on it in the mornings, and now she is my best friend. She goes with me to the mail box, loves car rides and walks, and makes sure she is only a few feet away from me.

She is a chicken dog, and if I raise my voice she cowers, but she is always up for positive attention paid to her. She is five now.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I commend you on a captivating title that made me read your whole story.

Sorry about your dog.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I very much appreciate the support from the forum, I'm very thankful this forum is here. Watching my k9 lay down all day and barely move is literally killing my soul. I'm trying to do as my vet says, and give her time to heal.

This is pretty much all day outside of food and bathroom.

Up until 2 weeks ago.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Let her rest and recover, a buddy had a top black lab hunting dog, born and bred in TX by one of the top breeders, after several years of working hard she began to have hip problems, loss of weight and wasn't able to run and do all the things she used to do. It took quite a bit of time for her to heal up because when ever she worked it was full on, full speed no brakes...

Good luck to your furry partner...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Let her rest and recover, a buddy had a top black lab hunting dog, born and bred in TX by one of the top breeders, after several years of working hard she began to have hip problems, loss of weight and wasn't able to run and do all the things she used to do. It took quite a bit of time for her to heal up because when ever she worked it was full on, full speed no brakes...

Good luck to your furry partner...

Yes, that describes my Mal and the exact instructions my Vet gave me. I'm hopeful of the same outcome. The only issue is I have the x-rays with all the damage. I'm definitely going to give her time.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear.

I dropped in to offer a little help. I've used Cissus Quadrangularis on my Presas in the past and myself. It's a hell of a thing for dogs. There's a study on the books showing dogs with broken legs healing in less time. (very general summarization there.)

I've seen my Presas look like new dogs again, and they aged very well. I've used it myself to heal up torn muscles and strains from lifting. It's legit. Worth a try I'd say. I was back benching 315 a month after a grade 1 pec tear and I credit the Cissus. I healed fast.

Not sure of the dog's diet and don't wanna be a know it all here, but an egg yolk or whole egg 2-3 times a week does wonders for dogs. And red meat after that.

In any event best of luck and a speedy recovery for your Mal.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
God Bless....

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post