SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jeep Insurance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jeep Insurance Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Speaking of insurance, why is MI so high? Can anything be done about it? I have relatives there that get hammered by auto insurance rates.

I'm sure special interests guide them, knowing the tricks to work the State legislature.

Generally I sorta under unsure. Not that I'm recommending doing so. I don't hang in high crime areas and keep things almost ultra defensive.

Yes, anything could happen today or going foreword.

No-Fault Insurance and unlimited medical coverage limits. MCCA assesses each vehicle an additional fee to cover high amount payouts for personal injury, assessments change on a yearly basis up or down. Two wheel motorcycles are not covered under No-Fault but three wheel motorcycles are. Cars registered as antiques get the MCCA assessment cut by 50% but those cars are limited in usage by the Historic or Year of Manufacture license plate agreement we make when applying for those plates.

I won't get into all the different levels of collision coverage, this was covered a couple of weeks back in another discussion.

Oh yeah, don't forget Uninsured Motorist Coverage here either. Even though you must have proof of insurance or a PIN supplied to the Secretary of State to get plates there are a lot of ways around this, fake proof of insurance, make one payment and get cancelled, jump plates from one car to another, you get the idea. It has been estimated that in the city of Detroit over half of the cars are uninsured. In theory we should not have to carry uninsured coverage, obviously in fact......

At least in the old (pre 1973) days an uninsured motorist could get plates by paying a small amount, $35 later raised to $45
at the time into the MVACF (Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund). If you were the owner of the car and it was involved in a at fault collision, the other driver could make a claim against the state for the damages to the car and injury over the amount of $200.00. The at fault driver then had to make restitution to the state either a lump sum or a payment plan. As long as you paid the state you kept your license and plates. If you defaulted, your plates and license were suspended.

And if you were struck by a motorist that let their insurance lapse, you would still claim against the MVACF, you would still collect the amount over $200, the uninsured would still get the payment plan plus a ticket and fine for not either having coverage or paying into the fund.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post