SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's a good website for background checks?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's a good website for background checks? Login/Join 
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted
What's a good website for background checks? I have an elderly relative (85) who's ask me to check into a person she's recently met and has started dating. I see plenty of them advertising online...just looking for a known good one.

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used BeenVerified.com. Their basic package doesn't tell you jack, and upgrade to their premium data is needed. When you sign up you get a month of "unlimited" checks. Pretty much not needed when your only checking out one person. It will tell you if they have had a bankruptcy but nothing on their current credit.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Whitepages.com has one. In fact I used it yesterday to track down a person that ghosted me after a gun deal went bad on a forum (Not here)

The 10.00 report had a great deal of info that was helpful to me. As soon as I said I was going to have the law show up to their address I magically got a tracking number today. Now I don’t know if I’m gonna get what’s owed me but we will see.

This report showed all the small claims judgements, arrests, foreclosures, etc in this dude’s past. Well worth the 10.00 gamble to me.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I would contact a PI. Online background services have very limited access to some records. Send me an email with your phone nr and I can provide further

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Another option (free) if you know the county where the person lives and has lived.
Go online to the clerk of the courts website at those counties and you can look up criminal records and civil records.
Not perfect but better than those scammy sites that don't do much more than a google search and want to charge money.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many states and counties have online public records, both civil and criminal. No need to pay someone for what you can get yourself.

Posts: 76 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Husker:
Many states and counties have online public records, both civil and criminal. No need to pay someone for what you can get yourself.

We have that in Alaska as well. Every traffic ticket all the way up to felonies is tracked and available to the public for review.

I did a quick google search and found this site for searching cases in Virginia.

Perhaps start here, and look at the free stuff before paying for a site somewhere.

Link to Virginia Judiciary Online Case Information System Search Site

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Dating at 85—awesome! I'm glad she has her radar out for someone who could be trying to take advantage of her.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
How does the family feel about her dating?
Is asking about a background check an indication of thoughts of marriage?

I would be very worried with what this could do to the family relationships.

At 85 she should just consider it friendship and enjoy her life and his companionship.
With the word “dating” my red flag goes up.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P229 357SIG Man:
What's a good website for background checks? I have an elderly relative (85) who's ask me to check into a person she's recently met and has started dating. I see plenty of them advertising online...just looking for a known good one.

I am a licensed PI and am willing to run a full check on the person for you for free. My email is in my profile. Just send me his info and I will send you a report.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Husker:

That was my point. The paysites use the info from those clerk of the court records that are available for free to anyone. They don't have access to any restricted law enforcement records.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
You can find a shit ton of info about a person just by googling their name, knowing their location. You may have to wade through a ton of crap though. You can generally find out if they have some arrest, bankruptcies etc.

In my experience, older people have very little record online...people below 40 tend to have the most. Google may not be the best in this case because of his age, unless he was caught murdering someone in his past.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
How does the family feel about her dating?
Is asking about a background check an indication of thoughts of marriage?

I would be very worried with what this could do to the family relationships.

At 85 she should just consider it friendship and enjoy her life and his companionship.
With the word “dating” my red flag goes up.

I do not understand this post. Are you suggesting that 85 year old people should ask their families if they can date? That 85 year olds shouldn't be allowed to marry? Perhaps 85 year olds should be celibate?

If they are of sound mind and able body, let them do what they like. Smile

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
The family dynamics will change.
From the simple things such as where holidays are spent to the more complex areas of finances and personal property.

Yes, I think that her children should be consulted.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
And I was hesitant about my post being a thread-drift. Roll Eyes

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I have seen this story played out.
A background check will not reveal everything you may need to know.
Be cautious and look for financial needs of not only the gentleman, but the gentleman’s children as well.
Yes, even the elderly can take advantage of the elderly.

I will now step away, sorry for the thread drift.

Pres. Select, Joe Biden

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
With the word “dating” my red flag goes up.[/QUOTE]

I do not understand this post. Are you suggesting that 85 year old people should ask their families if they can date? That 85 year olds shouldn't be allowed to marry? Perhaps 85 year olds should be celibate?

If they are of sound mind and able body, let them do what they like. Smile[/QUOTE]

In the OP he mentions this is a request by the 85 year old to have him check the guy out.
Sounds like she has her own concerns and that would set off alarm bells for me too.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they met on tinder?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post