SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HPD officers armed with AR-15s at Houston airports
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HPD officers armed with AR-15s at Houston airports Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
The last time I saw long guns at Houston airports was when the national guard was providing security post 9/11. Are y'all seeing this in your airport? I'm not against officers armed with AR-15s at airports (quite the opposite), but my BS meter is going off that there is no specific threat.
quote:
HPD officers armed with AR-15s at Houston airports

<<Video>>

HOUSTON - Houston Police are better armed than ever at both major airports.

Officers are packing semi-automatic rifles for the first time ever.

“The weapon itself is a carbine, AR-15,” said HPD Lt. David Acres. “It’s something we’ve been in discussion about for years and just decided this Thanksgiving to start implementing.”

The decision does not follow any specific threat. But it does come after a series of mass shootings in which similar weapons have been used.

“I mean, I know they’re trained with them and know how to use them,” said traveler Jamie Devine. “So, I feel even more safe if they’ve got an AR-15 on them.”

Travelers are already accustomed to long TSA lines and other security measures at airports. AR-15s may be just another layer that even those opposed to guns support.

“I don’t like guns,” said traveler Prheima Patel. “But there’s too much going on in the world and we do need security.”

According to HPD, the number of officers armed with AR-15s will vary. But they will patrol all areas of the airports, including parking garages.

“We’re just simply doing it to increase security here at the airport,” said Lt. Acres.

Any officer who’s armed with an AR-15 must be certified. That’s in addition to being trained on their regular service weapon.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
my BS meter is going off that there is no specific threat.

I agree. Interesting development. I saw police officers with automatic weapons at European airports decades ago, and I always wondered since when we would see it here.

It took much longer than I expected.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47408 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, anyone who's flown through Europe knows that officers with long guns is a very common sight. I'm all for it frankly.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
I've seen DFW airport police standing around with MP5s. But not real recently.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
And when was the last time a specific threat was justified? In America we always wait for the casualties and then spend several years trying to blame someone. Why not an AR15 armed officer at the airport. Long hallways need to be covered by rifles not handguns. Good on them for playing good actors in the constant security theater.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Holiday traffic about to kick into high gear. Terrorism on the rise. That's why. Why such a big deal? They're not randomly stopping and frisking you.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Charlotte airport has had this for over a year. It's the new norm.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
It's the new norm.

Not everywhere by any means.
The display of heavy (heavier) weapons can still be a public relations issue in some jurisdictions. The more people see it, though, the easier it will be to implement it everywhere.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47408 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Unless they are shooting at you, who cares?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw his at Nashville Airport last week. It wasn't all the officers though.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I mean, I know they’re trained with them and know how to use them,” said traveler Jamie Devine. “So, I feel even more safe if they’ve got an AR-15 on them.”

This is what a lightbulb flickering on looks like.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
The Kid from Brooklyn had a better idea.

https://youtu.be/WCBIRcFlD-E

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Were their weapons loaded?

I flew into BWI about two weeks after 9/11. They had the Guard walking around the airport for security...with unloaded weapons. Roll Eyes

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Were their weapons loaded?

I flew into BWI about two weeks after 9/11. They had the Guard walking around the airport for security...with unloaded weapons. Roll Eyes

France was the same...soldiers walking around with no magazines in their rifles.

That is no longer the case today. Don't know about the officers in Houston though.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For now, they are called "carbine AR-15".

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
saw some security officers at the Orlando airport carring them a few years back.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
I think we were arriving or leaving LAX last year and while standing in the baggage claim area my wife tapped me and said, "Look. Those dudes are carrying ARs." She was referring to 4 LEOs of some sort, all armed with them."

(Pretty sure she used "dudes" because we were in the LA area.) Smile

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
When I flew back here from Idaho a few weeks ago, I saw NO armed security at the Spokane airport.

They had about 30 TSA "agents", none armed on the odark30 shift.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If something happened at that airport, some of you guys would be saying "Why weren't the police better armed?"

Seeing a police officer carrying a rifle in an airport these days, I wouldn't bat an eye, wouldn't feel the need to question the reason.

Perhaps we have some gun owners in this forum. They would understand better, I think.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If something happened at that airport, some of you guys would be saying "Why weren't the police better armed?"

Seeing a police officer carrying a rifle in an airport these days, I wouldn't bat an eye, wouldn't feel the need to question the reason.

Perhaps we have some gun owners in this forum. They would understand better, I think.

I prefer for some to be armed always with AR. Since it's not always the case, I would bat an eye. I'd be wondering if they have some kind of Intel that raises threat level to warrant carrying extra firepower.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post