SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Accu-gage not accurate
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accu-gage not accurate Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
https://www.amazon.com/Accu-Ga..._product_top?ie=UTF8

I bought an Accu-gage for the suv. It seems consistent. But it's off by about 6 psi compared to both my USA Meiser and the TPMS sensor (the latter two match).

So, I'm going to guess that this gauge is off rather than assume the other gauges are off.

I could accept as is and just affix a sticker that it's high by 6 psi.

Or should I return it and get something that's actually correct? If so, what?

I like the straight hose and chuck. I like the hold pressure and bleeder valve. Basically, I don't want to give up the features on this as it makes it very easy to use. It's just off by 6psi.

What would you do? Keep? Or return and buy XXX?

Woodman -- any updates on good gauges?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
https://www.amazon.com/Accu-Ga..._product_top?ie=UTF8

I bought an Accu-gage for the suv. It seems consistent. But it's off by about 6 psi compared to both my USA Meiser and the TPMS sensor (the latter two match).

So, I'm going to guess that this gauge is off rather than assume the other gauges are off.

I could accept as is and just affix a sticker that it's high by 6 psi.

Or should I return it and get something that's actually correct? If so, what?

I like the straight hose and chuck. I like the hold pressure and bleeder valve. Basically, I don't want to give up the features on this as it makes it very easy to use. It's just off by 6psi.

Woodman -- any updates on good gauges?

Intercomp makes some great gauges. I use this model in my garage, and carry a Milton stick gauge in the truck. The Milton is within a pound of the Intercomp.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
You could have just gotten a bad gage.

If you bought it from Amazon they should take it back and refund your money at their cost or return it for a new one.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's just off by 6psi.

"Just" 6psi? That's 15% at 38 psi. Not Acceptable, in my view.

Besides: That's 6psi at the pressures you're measuring. What about at other pressures?

quote:

If it were me it'd be outta there.

Measurement devices are either correct or they're not. If they're not they're of little use to me.

Sorry: Don't have a suggestion for a replacement.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of the Accu-Gage and both have issues!
The one in my Jeep has fallen apart and the one in my Vette the bleeder stopped working.

I'll send them in for warranty and buy just one other for the Jeep. The pressure readings seem accurate.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
No gauge updates. I'd either return it for exchange or send it in w/ $3 for repair/replacement. And include a note that the replacement be checked.

The ones assembled here, every last one, is tested before being shipped. The Asian production, I'm sure is not.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Longacre makes excellent products, I started using them back in my track days. I have this one as well as another made in the USA one that is about 15 years old. They are both very accurate and read within 1/2 psi of each other.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Yep. Return them with a note about poor accuracy. This. The gage may have a bad component or something. I don't think they intend to send out bad equipment.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Heneryaz – Which Milton model do you have? The S-921 looks like a good choice for me:

Single head chuck
Pressure range of 5-50 PSI
Includes deflator valve
Made in USA

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ok. Sending back....

I was looking at the Intercomp on Amazon. Given sometimes Amazon has fakes, maybe I'll order direct from the manufacturer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.intercompracing.co...-en.html?cPath=36_38

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hey henryaz (or anyone with the Intercomp 360070 gauge):

The pic in Amazon does match the one of the Intercomp website:
1) Cover color seems different (darker on Amazon)
2) hose color seems different (darker on Amazon)
3) hose on Amazon seems printed with Goodyear (made in USA); can't see printing on Intercomp site
4) crimping seems different at gauge end of hose
5) more thread is exposed on the gauge end of bleeder valve on Amazon

Maybe it's the same just different mfg year or something? Anyway, for those who purchased from Intercomp, any of them match the Amazon pic?

I concerned that that Amazon one may be fraudulent. (but it's more convenient to order through Prime).

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I bought an Intercomp direct from their site about a decade ago. 3.5" glow in the dark 60psi job now replaced by their 4" line up. Damn thing is accurate and bullet proof. Agree with henryaz, great product!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought an Intercomp direct from their site about a decade ago. 3.5" glow in the dark 60psi job now replaced by their 4" line up. Damn thing is accurate and bullet proof. Agree with henryaz, great product!

Ok, I'll just play it safe and buy direct from their site. Wish Amazon would do something about fraudulent products on their site.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Heneryaz – Which Milton model do you have? The S-921 looks like a good choice for me:

That's what I carry in my truck. In the garage I prefer to use the Intercomp gauge, but some tires want more than 60 PSI, so for that I use a Milton "service" gauge, that is a much stouter pencil gauge. It reads up to 150 PSI, for small tires that require higher pressures.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gauge and instrument accuracy:
Here's the problem: You never really know unless you get it calibrated regularly, like on a 6 month or a year schedule.
But nobody can afford that, right ?
What I did was go buy a variety of pressure gauges, from "expensive" dial gages for about $40, hat at least come "calibrated" from the factory; down to the cheapest "stick" gages I could find for about $1, and compared the readings.
I was actually surprised to note that they all read just about exactly the same thing to within my ability to read the gage.
So just buy some cheap stick gages and compare readings. It is unlikely that they would ALL go inaccurate at the same time, the same amount. As long a couple of the read the same it is most likely "accurate", and 5 $1 gages is still a lot less than a $40 gage.

Of course I would return any new gage that was inaccurate.

I still need multiple gage types because I also have high-pressure bike tires.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

That's what I carry in my truck. In the garage I prefer to use the Intercomp gauge, but some tires want more than 60 PSI, so for that I use a Milton "service" gauge, that is a much stouter pencil gauge. It reads up to 150 PSI, for small tires that require higher pressures.

Thanks for the reply. I just ordered an S-921 pencil gauge – its 50 PSI range is sufficiently for my needs. Generally speaking, the smaller the range, the more accurate it is within that range, and easier to read.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Waiting for my 4" Intercomp to arrive. Shipping and handling was pricey!

4" sounds like it'll be big but I was having to take my glasses off to read the Meiser. Hopefully I can read the Intercomp okay.

Hope the lug is okay too - I'm used to the straight on lug. Maybe I can change the hose and lug if desired....

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
This is the only approved gauge where I work:

Milton truck tire gauge. Very accurate. Double ended for checking dual rear tires.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Finally got the Intercomp 4" gauge.

Seems to be spot on with my Meiser and the TPMS readings. Made in USA - what a difference.

It's expensive but it works. Really sad Meiser no longer around. But at least someone is still on the block.

This thing is much larger than I imagined. But at least I can read it without removing my glasses.

https://www.intercompracing.co...-en.html?cPath=36_38

Thanks again!!

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Hey, that is a sharp-looking unit. Glow In The Dark Cool Rubber hose or fabric covered? Price is right, too.

Yep, that time of year, it seems. My "new" tires, mounted in May at 37#, finally and evenly were reading 33/34 (I like the "evenly" part for a change). The one Meiser I kept, no hose, straight chuck, is a snappy unit.

Meiser, I do not think, is done. One of the owners, it is his career. It takes time dealing with suppliers. The last USA-made product would have cost $90-$100, was rather large, but did read like a dream. The needle jumped, stopped short, then snuggled up a little more to final reading. Meiser said that was correct. I sent my sample back because I perceived dial/movement positioning issues ... still waiting on another copy, plus one of the "Assembled USA w/ US, Swiss, Polish" parts.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post