SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smoke Alarm Replacement Recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoke Alarm Replacement Recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
I was going to replace the battery in all my smoke detectors today when lo and behold, one went off with a shrill screech that sent the cats scrambling. Got all the batteries replaced and all is working well...decent planning on my part, I guess.

At any rate, 4 out of 5 of detectors are the original equipment Firex 120-1072c; installed when this house was built in 2003. I replaced a faulty detector in the master b/r several years ago with a Firex i4618a. For those in the biz or who certainly know more than I in this area, what would you recommend to replace the remaining 4 original 120-1072c detectors, keeping in mind I really don't want to rewire.

Amazon sells a Firex/Kidde adapter, but I'm not sure if it will work on all detectors I might consider...

http://a.co/ebqMqo7

Firex became Kidde at some point, so I'd like to stay with their product unless someone has a really compelling reason to go to something else.

Thanks for any and all suggestions/assistance!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just replaced 4 kidde detectors with first alert- the pigtails are just wire-nutted to standard 14-3 house wire - white to white, black to black, orange to red. Probably easier to 'rewire' it than deal with the adapters, especially at $4 per.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do cheap smoke detectors and then one Nest (smoke + CO) for each floor.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
I do cheap smoke detectors and then one Nest (smoke + CO) for each floor.

This

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm planning on doing dual-sensor Kidde models in the house we are moving to. I keep reading that photoelectric models are much quicker to detect a fire than ionization, and dual models are the way to go to be able to catch both quick and smoldering type fires.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I went through this recently:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...730058034#5730058034

I bought a packs of these from HD (cheaper than Prime and also easier to exchange if issues). Basically, Kidde version of the same FireX model I replaced. R&R takes about 5 minutes per unit (rewiring using the twist on wire connectors).

http://www.kidde.com/home-safe.../smoke-alarms/i4618/

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks konata. I thought there had been a smoke detector thread at some point, but wasn't sure.

Thanks for the other suggestions so far as well!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Don't be scared of the "rewire".

Its literally three wires with wire nuts. Forrest Gump could do it.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LMAO!! But could a CAVEMAN do it?? Big Grin Now that I think about it, I might have done the re-wire on the detector that I replaced in the master b/r. You're correct...if memory serves, it was pretty easy with the proper tools and wire nuts.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I just replaced mine with a different brand, but more importantly, the back up batteries are two AA instead of a single 9 volt.

Less expensive, and I almost always have those around for when the stupid things start chirping.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post