SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    National Reciprocity: GOP Reps. Must Adopt ‘America First’ Not ‘Congress First’
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

National Reciprocity: GOP Reps. Must Adopt ‘America First’ Not ‘Congress First’ Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Once again, showing their true colors Roll Eyes

National reciprocity legislation has been sitting in Congress since January 3, 2017, and we have heard of a growing roster of co-sponsors but little else. Then suddenly, following the June 14 attack in Alexandria, numerous Republican Congressional members were consumed with national reciprocity.
But the problem is that many House members now focused on national reciprocity are consumed with special carry privileges for Congress; carry privileges the common man will never enjoy.

For example, Breitbart News reported that Rep. Brian Babin (R-TX) put forward post-Alexandria legislation that will give congressmen “the ability to attempt to qualify for a concealed carry permit – either through their home state or a training program created by the United States Capitol Police (USCP).” And for those who acquire a permit, the bill will:

Direct the USCP to grant Members of Congress the ability to concealed carry in nearly every conceivable scenario – including federal parks and buildings, the national mall, to and from their offices, at schools and military bases – with only a few limited restrictions. These would include National Special Security Events, other areas under the direct jurisdiction of the Secret Service and commercial airliners.

To be clear, Babin also supports the national reciprocity legislation introduced in Congress on January 3. But that reciprocity bill has not been passed and, even when it does, it will not give the common man the carry privileges Babin wants to secure for the ruling class.

The chasm between the common man and the ruling class was well illustrated by Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL), during a June 21 interview on Breitbart News Daily. Like Babin, Brooks supports two separate approaches to national reciprocity, one for the common man and one for the ruling class.

After assuring listeners that he supports reciprocity legislation for average Americans, Brooks said that people have “to recognize that congressmen are different from the regular citizens of the United States.” He described the difference:

[Congressmen] are high-profile targets of lone wolf shooters, as we saw [June 14]. We are also high-profile targets of Muslim and other terrorists, and that distinguishes us from the general public. The general public needs to have the right to bear arms to defend themselves from criminal activity. We not only have to be able to defend ourselves from criminal activity, but also from the high-profile target status that we are burdened with as members of the United States Congress.

Missing from Brooks’ illustration is the fact that “regular citizens” face terror threats as well; such threats are not specific to the ruling class. For example, 49 “regular citizens” were killed in the June 12, 2016, Orlando terrorist attack and 14 “regular citizens” were killed in the December 2, 2015, San Bernardino terrorist attack.

Ought not these attacks–and others than could be listed–justify calls to give “regular citizens” the same carry privileges being sought by Babin, Brooks, and the rest of the ruling class?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...lace-congress-first/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Last time I checked, terrorists have killed a lot more regular folks than Congresscritters.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
If Brooks is 'burdened' then maybe he should leave Congress. I told my family and coworkers that the shooting at the baseball field would only further separate Congress from the hoi polloi. Betcha the number of town halls back home go down. Webcasts.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
1. Fuck them
2. How long until some whackjob democrat uses their concealed carry piece to take a shot at the President or someone who isn't "tolerant" of their views?

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see some decent qualification scores before turning a congresscritter loose in a commercial aircraft with a firearm.

Doubt they could do a "triple nickel" Federal Air Marshal, but I'd say under 8 seconds would be ok...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
We need to use this. If they want nationa carry, fine. But pressure needs to be applied (by the NRA maybe) that if they want expanded carry privileges, those privileges need to be made available to all law abiding citizens.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
How 'bout we start with national reciprocity and let congressweasels get permits in their home states? If someone's from a Constitutional Carry state then all they ought to need under federal legislation would be a state-issued driver's license or ID card. That should solve the problem for everyone, shouldn't it?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
If I was a GOP Rep. I don't think I would relish the thought of Maxine Waters with a gun. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
If I was a GOP Rep. I don't think I would relish the thought of Maxine Waters with a gun. Roll Eyes

+1

Along with several others I can think of.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then again...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
quote:

+1

Which is what they say about you/us.

Don't be that guy.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
quote:

+1

Which is what they say about you/us.

Don't be that guy.

Yeah, I think you're right about this.

I don't mind at all that Maxine Waters has/might have a gun, so long as I can have one, too.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
RE: Congressmen as high profile targets.
I would agree with Congressman Babin that legislators are high profile targets. I would disagree that they are the ONLY high profile targets.
Congress is the equivalent of the state government for DC. As such, they can and should establish a concealed carry law for all DC residents and visitors.

RE: Maxine, et. al.
I don't want any of the opposition's elected officials dead or injured. I want them healthy, and working in productive jobs in the private sector (for what would probably be the first time in their lives, for most of them.)

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Then again...

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post