SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bizarre cold war-era educational film for kids
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bizarre cold war-era educational film for kids Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that, TMats, but now I’m curious about “Country Czechia.” Does that mean it was originally a Czech production? If so, it would support my thought that it was a Communist bloc propaganda piece: The US was the wicked magician who developed the bad atom and used it for destruction, but the good atom, being used by the USSR would change all that.

Speculation to a degree, but it could fit.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Funny thing about “Czechia” is that some favor that rather than Czech Republic. I don’t find evidence (beyond the film) that the word was used when the country of Czechoslovakia still existed. Don’t know what to say about sigfreund’s speculation that this was Eastern Bloc propaganda.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I don’t find evidence (beyond the film) that the word was used when the country of Czechoslovakia still existed.

I noticed that as well, but thought perhaps the archive was put together after the collapse of the Evil Empire and the decision was made to use a modern term for the country of origin rather than what it was called at the time.

Again, speculation, and admittedly possibly colored by my opinions about that part of the world as it existed in 1950. The more I think about it, the more likely it seems to me that it was an East Bloc propaganda piece intended for western consumption. In addition to the idea that the destructive capability of the atom was developed by the US and UK, that “all the peoples of the world marching together toward peace” was a very common Communist theme of the time.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
You can see where people looked for some hope in the face of that chilling new reality.

International Geophysical Year

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ueivjr3f8xg" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Great music.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Was that a lobster or a crawdad? I need to know, don't ask why.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I was in elementary school in the early 1960's (think Cuban missile crisis), and being led to the inner hallways and sat down on the floor with your back against the lockers, with your head between your knees (to kiss your ass goodbye). Fun times indeed!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness. It looks like although it was dubbed into English, the origin is Czechoslovakia, so if 1950, then this is Commie propaganda in full; and incredibly stupid and poorly done at that.

In the 60's, the Czechs put out some wonderful art and literature subversive to their Soviet overlords; I was in Prague briefly in 1966, and was able to enjoy some of it. What a sad, gray, dreary place the public streets of that beautiful city was then.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never seen this one, but I do remember „Duck and cover“, I started school in the early 80s.

Can anybody confirm „Duck and cover“ being shown and drills performed into the 1980s or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Posts: 739 | Location: Germany | Registered: August 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I started school in 1955 and I can state categorically that I never did a "duck and cover" and I don't remember any Nuclear Armageddon scare stuff. Only thing I recall was the adults being a little apprehensive during what I later learned was the Cuban Missile Crisis.

I don't know if I was particularly clueless (probable...) or if it's failing memory (also possible), or that sort of thing just didn't happen in rural Michigan.

PHPaul, I started school in late '57 in western Oakland County (west of Detroit, still considered metropolitan Detroit) and I don't remember anything like that either. Even during the Cuban Missile Crisis there were no unusual preparations in school. I do remember the TV and radio though, I was ten at the time.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I grew up a few miles from the Livermore Lawrence Radiation Laboratory.

We called it the Rad Lab.

We did duck and cover drills all the time.

We were told that if the bombs started flying that the Lab was a target for sure.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up about 5 miles from Wright-Patterson AFB, which in the 50s and 60s had a SAC Alert area.
It was definitely a duck and cover area.
I think the drill were conducted in areas that were likely Soviet targets.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
We did the duck and cover drills under the desk in the class room as well as the sitting down in the hallways with backs against wall- heads between knees. Located just east of all of the chemical plants along the Mississippi River/ Baton rouge, Louisiana which was considered a stratigical target for our enemies. Having large public area bomb shelters as well as personal bomb shelters installed in back yard and underground for the family after TSHTF event. Cold War preperations that did not come to pass. ....................................... drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Fast forward 43 years and Tommy is on his way home from his job at the weapons factory near LA and its hot and his car's AC just bit the dust. Maybe if he hadn't sprung for those vanity plates "D-FENS" he would have been able to afford getting the coolant recharged. Anyway, its LA traffic as usual and he just wants to get home, but people keep getting in his way. Maybe he should just walk...nothing could possibly go wrong.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I liked that movie!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post