SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bizarre cold war-era educational film for kids
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bizarre cold war-era educational film for kids Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
This film is undated but I'll wager this was made post-1949, after the Soviet Union detonated their first atomic bomb.

The "magician" represents- at first- Nazi Germany. The magician couldn't develop the bomb but the Allies did, releasing "the good atom" and everything was cool until the magician was back at it again. This time the magician (now representing the Soviet Union) succeeded in creating "the bad atom". "Tommy" represents the Western powers.

The really bizarre part is that the film shows "the bad atom" being unleashed (an inevitabiity according to the film; "the time control was set. The evil atom had to be dropped!"), laying waste to the world- nuclear war, but hey, no big deal, because we'll just wake up "the good atom" and with the help of "good men everywhere" (the United Nations), the world will be rebuilt and everything will be cool, just like it had never happened.

Hayzoos Kristo! How bizarre! Imagine being eight years old and having this little cartoon injected into your head in class. I imagine this effort to soothe children's fears made for some sleepless nights for more than one kid.

Give it a look. Less than 8 minutes long.

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Ok, now I’m hiding under my desk...

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
Ok, now I’m hiding under my desk...

We did those drills (hiding under the desk) when I started grade school in 1959.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16508 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Kids had a lot to worry about back then.
Bad Atoms, and Booby Traps.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I started 1st grade in 1964, I remember shit like this in school. And plenty of "duck and cover" movies too.

Posts: 4010 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I found out that my wife used to wear her shoes to bed as a child, because she wanted to he ready to run when the bombs started falling. Poor little kid. I think she watched too many episodes of 12 O’Clock High.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to learn the "duck and cover" drill in Elementary School.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Have you ever wondered what would have happened to Austin, Texas if the commies dropped a nuke in 1960? Now you can know...

https://texasarchive.org/2013_02699

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of Joe Biden's earliest training films?

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Oh I remember this well and not so fondly. In 1953 I was in first grade. Duck 'n cover. Backyard bomb shelters. And all the rest during my formative years culminating with the Cuban Missile Crisis....

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
In 1960 Austin, a guy could drive home from work quickly enough to get in his boonker with his wife and child.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Have you ever wondered what would have happened to Austin, Texas if the commies dropped a nuke in 1960? Now you can know...

https://texasarchive.org/2013_02699

With that narrator it sounds like an episode from the Twilight Zone. The use of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries was a bit much.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
We had to hide when the air raid sirens were going off.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I started school in 1955 and I can state categorically that I never did a "duck and cover" and I don't remember any Nuclear Armageddon scare stuff. Only thing I recall was the adults being a little apprehensive during what I later learned was the Cuban Missile Crisis.

I don't know if I was particularly clueless (probable...) or if it's failing memory (also possible), or that sort of thing just didn't happen in rural Michigan.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah that's a crazy one

born in the 60s. definitely remember understanding the concept of nuclear Armageddon growing up.

we watched 'The Day After' during school in HS.

reading about Able Archer is sobering.

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Tampa in the 70s, MacDill Air Force base is there. We did plenty of duck and cover drills.....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I remember the duck and cover drills in first grade and a number of this sort of government produced movies. Dr. Strangelove seems to capture those times well.
The narrator had the same tone in their voice, very expressive up or down depending on the mood they tried to project.
Back then people mostly seemed to believe anything the government said was true. I guess that was from the WW2 era of patriotism that hadn't yet worn off.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
You can see where people looked for some hope in the face of that chilling new reality.

International Geophysical Year

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t recall actually participating in duck and cover drills, but I certainly remember the discussions about measures to survive a nuclear attack. One close relative who lived in Boulder (of all places!) had a shelter of sorts for a time.

And although it became fashionable over the years following the era when the fears about nuclear attacks were at their highest to ridicule the civil defense preparations and teachings such as D&C, most people today don’t realize that they weren’t all just government propaganda designed to give the masses a false sense of some security.

Will your shelter or hiding under a desk help if a nuclear weapon detonates a block away? Of course not.
Will they help if a nuclear weapon goes off two miles away? Perhaps, and a lot more people would have been two miles from an explosion than who were a block away.
People have survived the collapse of buildings in earthquakes because they were under furniture and there are other nuclear weapon effects it’s best not to be directly exposed to if we have the option. Ducking and covering to this day makes much more sense than standing by a picture window to watch the funny lights and smoke; anyone remember the Beirut explosion?

In view of how people commonly deal with natural disasters now, the civil defense efforts of the 1950s and ’60s seem naïve to me today, but they were at least trying to do something, even if it was just to reduce the fully-justified fears of the time.

None of that, BTW, is really about the film in the above post. It is truly bizarre, and it’s not anything I recall ever seeing at the time. I can only guess what its intent was other than, perhaps, a bit of pacifist propaganda produced before it was decided that all atomic energy is bad, no matter what the form or purpose. (I also suspect it was one of the earliest depictions of all the races and cultures of the world marching together to a better future, and was perhaps some sort of UN production.)

There were many people, including many scientists who helped develop and build the first atomic bombs, who decided after the fact that there was no justification for them and that their use against Japan was immoral, etc., etc., etc. Anyone viewing the film should have in fact concluded that it was the US scientists and military leaders who constituted the first mad “wicked magician.” That would also have made sense if it were something commissioned by elements of the UN or the Soviet bloc.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Good call, para, exactly 1950

Tommy and the Atom

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post