SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Steele dossier // p169 Durham Report: FBI Should Never Have Begun ‘Russia Collusion’ Investigation
Page 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... 170
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Steele dossier // p169 Durham Report: FBI Should Never Have Begun ‘Russia Collusion’ Investigation Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
here is part of the executive summary...from Page iii of the Executive Summary

As part of our review, we also sought to determine whether there was evidence that political bias or other improper considerations affected decision making in Crossfire Hurricane, including the decision to open the investigation. We discussed the issue of political bias in a prior OIG report, Review of Various Actions in Advance of the 2016 Election, where we described text and instant messages bet ween t hen Special Counsel to the Deputy Director Lisa Page and then Section Chief Peter Strzok, among others, that included statements of hostility toward then candidate Trump and statements of support for then candidate Hillary Clint on. I n this review, we found that, while Lisa Page attended some of the discussions regarding the opening of the investigations, she did not play a role in the decision to open Crossfire Hurricane or the four individual cases. We further found that while Strzok was directly involved in the decisions to open Crossfire Hurricane and the four individual cases, he was not the sole, or even the highest-level, decision maker as to any of those matters. As noted above, then CD AD Priestap, Strzok's supervisor, was the official who ultimately made the decision to open the investigation, and evidence reflected that this decision by Priestap was reached by consensus after multiple days of discussions and meetings that included Strzok and other leadership in CD, the FBI Deputy Director, the FBI General Counsel, and a FBI Deputy General Counsel. We concluded that Priestap's exercise of discretion in opening the investigation was in compliance with Department and FBI policies, and we did not find documentary or testimonial evidence that political bias or improper motivation influenced his decision. We similarly found that, while the formal documentation opening each of the four individual investigations was approved by Strzok (as required by the DIOG), the decisions to do so were reached by a consensus among t he Crossfire "Hurricane agents and analysts who identified individuals associated with the Trump campaign who had recently traveled to Russia or had other alleged ties to Russia. Priestap was involved in these decisions. We did not find documentary or testimonial evidence that political bias or improper motivation influenced the decisions to open the four individual investigations.

so if I'm reading this right, Strozk and Page colluded to try to interfere with the election of the President, were party to the decisions and investigations, had a trail of emails including reference to an insurance policy to ensure that he wasn't elected, and yet none of that is considered bias?

I can't wait to get to Page v

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
AG Barr released an official statement.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, December 9, 2019
Statement by Attorney General William P. Barr on the Inspector General's Report of the Review of Four FISA Applications and Other Aspects of the FBI’s Crossfire Hurricane Investigation
Attorney General William P. Barr issued the following statement:

"Nothing is more important than the credibility and integrity of the FBI and the Department of Justice. That is why we must hold our investigators and prosecutors to the highest ethical and professional standards. The Inspector General’s investigation has provided critical transparency and accountability, and his work is a credit to the Department of Justice. I would like to thank the Inspector General and his team.

The Inspector General’s report now makes clear that the FBI launched an intrusive investigation of a U.S. presidential campaign on the thinnest of suspicions that, in my view, were insufficient to justify the steps taken. It is also clear that, from its inception, the evidence produced by the investigation was consistently exculpatory. Nevertheless, the investigation and surveillance was pushed forward for the duration of the campaign and deep into President Trump’s administration. In the rush to obtain and maintain FISA surveillance of Trump campaign associates, FBI officials misled the FISA court, omitted critical exculpatory facts from their filings, and suppressed or ignored information negating the reliability of their principal source. The Inspector General found the explanations given for these actions unsatisfactory. While most of the misconduct identified by the Inspector General was committed in 2016 and 2017 by a small group of now-former FBI officials, the malfeasance and misfeasance detailed in the Inspector General’s report reflects a clear abuse of the FISA process.

FISA is an essential tool for the protection of the safety of the American people. The Department of Justice and the FBI are committed to taking whatever steps are necessary to rectify the abuses that occurred and to ensure the integrity of the FISA process going forward.

No one is more dismayed about the handling of these FISA applications than Director Wray. I have full confidence in Director Wray and his team at the FBI, as well as the thousands of dedicated line agents who work tirelessly to protect our country. I thank the Director for the comprehensive set of proposed reforms he is announcing today, and I look forward to working with him to implement these and any other appropriate measures.

With respect to DOJ personnel discussed in the report, the Department will follow all appropriate processes and procedures, including as to any potential disciplinary action."

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr...ort-review-four-fisa

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
first scan thru the summary is very disappointing

I can't help but wonder if this is a long report crippled by its methodology.

The IG wrote: "Our role in this review was not to second-guess discretionary judgments by Department personnel about whether to open an investigation, or specific judgment calls made during the course of an investigation, where those decisions complied with or were authorized by Department rules, policies, or procedures." (LINK page i of Report)

So, if it was politically biased and motivated but within the realm of discretion in the FBI policies, it was ok?

Where political campaigns, candidates or parties are concerned, it appears that the rules and IG methodology need to go deeper because it looks like the methodology just leans towards giving a pass.

"If the explanations we were given for a particular decision were consistent with legal requirements, policies, procedures, and not unreasonable, we did not conclude that the decision was based on improper considerations in the absence of documentary or testimonial evidence to the contrary." (LINK page ii of Report)

If the explanations were facially justified then that does away with the need to look into the "insurance policy," for instance?

This reminds me of discrimination litigation. You rarely find someone saying, "I won't hire you because your black" or whatever protected class; you must examine the motives through the totality of the circumstances.

The IG report looks like it failed to do so by choosing a lesser methodology. The IG said it limited itself to policy discretion as the standard.

As in discrimination case investigation, the IG should look to the question of whether stated reasons or justifications are mere pretext.

Well, that's the way it seems to me anyway.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I downloaded the report and am reading it now

the executive summary is a joke - it dances around everything and exonerates the seditionists

I still have faith in Durham. And today, Durham uncharacteristically released a statement that he materially disagrees with some of the Horowitz report.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
The fact that Durham and Barr immediately release statements that they disagree with the IG report is heartening. They did not let the Democrat propaganda machines any time to take control of the message and spin it their way. I think Durham and Barr understand the gravity of what the FBI, etc. did.

Agreed.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
well, its obvious we aren't going to get any justice from the DoJ

perhaps its time for the people to take justice into their own hands and do it right

the hired help isn't working

I suspect it is more accurate to say that America is still at that awkward stage...

IMHO, it would not be prudent (let alone right or proper) to “take justice into their own hands”. Time will tell, my cautious optimism with respect to the Honorable Mr. Barr may be misplaced, but I am struggling mightily to wait patiently.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
whenever I read or hear about the .gov investigating the .gov this scene in shooter comes to mind...

The truth is what I say it is...

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Abso-freakin-LUTELY, HRK!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...usive-investigation/

Attorney General William Barr released a statement on Monday following the release of the Justice Department’s inspector general (IG) report, asserting that it “ makes clear that the FBI launched an intrusive investigation of a U.S. presidential campaign on the thinnest of suspicions that, in my view, were insufficient to justify the steps taken .”

the guy that counts knows the truth

The FBI launched a counterintelligence operation against Donald Trump and the Trump campaign

Supposedly based on Papadopoulos telling Alexander Downer that he heard the Russians had negative material on Hillary Clinton

Are you kidding me ? that triggered a counterintelligence operation ?

Then Mifsud told Mueller that he never said the Russians had material on Clinton

Papadopoulos doesn't remember telling Downer about it

But hey lets go on an intel op. Oh, and since the dossier "didn't really" trigger anything, lets not just investigate Papadopoulos, let's go after Manafort, Carter Page, and Michael Flynn also.

This is such an obvious coup attempt. The FBI should be torn to shreds

FBI Dir Wray : Calling the FBI "deep state" is an insult to our work force. Wray should be fired. I mean right now.

Posts: 19504 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
FBI Dir Wray : Calling the FBI "deep state" is an insult to our work force. Wray should be fired. I mean right now.

He never should have been put in that position in the 1st place!!! IMO, he is one of the deep swamp critters.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
No one is more dismayed about the handling of these FISA applications than Director Wray.

I suspect that Wray is more dismayed that any of this is seeing the light of day, but he's doing his best to keep it swept under the rug. What a coward!

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
and from John Durham

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...-general-conclusion/

U.S. Attorney John Durham said Monday that the Department of Justice did not agree with the Inspector General report into the investigation of President Donald Trump’s political campaign.

“Based on the evidence collected to date, and while our investigation is ongoing, last month we advised the Inspector General that we do not agree with some of the report’s conclusions as to predication and how the FBI case was opened ,” Durham said in a statement sent to reporters after the release of Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz’s report.

The Horowitz report found that there were “serious performance failures by the supervisory and non-supervisory agents” including 17 significant errors in the FISA applications to surveil Carter Page, but said there was no evidence of “intentional misconduct.”

Durham, who continues to investigate the origins of the Russia investigation, said that his investigation would be more robust, including details of actions of people outside the Justice Department.

“Our investigation has included developing information from other persons and entities, both in the U.S. and outside of the U.S.,” he wrote.

Posts: 19504 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Boston:
I would try different search parameters. Comey does not show up, but corney does.

It does seem pretty bad. we did not investigate the campaign. we investigated 4 people around it though. but not the campaign. the summary is almost contradictory from the little I have read.

Thanks. I tried that too. Maybe I just haven't read the right part yet. One can hope.

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
The Inspector General

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:
No one is more dismayed about the handling of these FISA applications than Director Wray.

I suspect that Wray is more dismayed that any of this is seeing the light of day, but he's doing his best to keep it swept under the rug. What a coward!

The problem with having no counter representation is a matter needing our attention.

Horowitz wrote: "Although some of the factual misstatements and omissions we found in this review were arguably more significant than others, we believe that all of them taken together resulted in FISA applications that made it appear that the information supporting probable cause was stronger than was actually the case. " (pg. 14 of Report) [emphasis added]

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
and from John Durham

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...-general-conclusion/

U.S. Attorney John Durham said Monday that the Department of Justice did not agree with the Inspector General report into the investigation of President Donald Trump’s political campaign.

“Based on the evidence collected to date, and while our investigation is ongoing, last month we advised the Inspector General that we do not agree with some of the report’s conclusions as to predication and how the FBI case was opened ,” Durham said in a statement sent to reporters after the release of Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz’s report.
<snip>

An extraordinary statement. Good on Durham. The MSM seems to have missed this.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This report is a fraud - Comey’s name spelled Corney but the font makes it look like Comey. So the IG only has findings that relate to Corney.

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
This report is a fraud - Comey’s name spelled Corney but the font makes it look like Comey. So the IG only has findings that relate to Corney.

It looks good on him and describes him to a T

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1492 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
So now that Barr et al disagree with the findings, best guess what are they going to do about it?

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
So now that Barr et al disagree with the findings, best guess what are they going to do about it?

They’ve already done it – Mr. Durham’s investigation continues onwards.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post