SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about selling the collection
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about selling the collection Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
So umm in conclusion, everything's fine... no reason to jump out the window or anything like that.

OP has not been back. Eek

OP definitely has back and has shown it.

Oh, wait, my mistake..... Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Where did the OP go? I honestly feel sorry for zhe. Life without sigforum is a sad thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been wondering much the same thing. At what age is enough enough. I still find myself looking for good deals on guns I won't ever need or shoot.

At what age should one think of beginning divestiture of a lifetime of purchasing guns?

I have a more than a few, but nothing like some here on the forum have admitted to or alluded to having. Thankfully my wife does not make specific inquiries but I am sure she would have a shock if I should pass on suddenly.

I suppose the answer to my question is.... when I feel like it is time. I was just wondering what other "senior" members thought was the correct stage in life for divestiture.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I had such fun building up my collection. The research, ogling the pictures, stalking the stores and internet. Now it is not the same. Having isn't the same as acquiring.

So easy to grow a collection , and such a royal pain in the ass to sell it.
My descendants are going to be flabbergasted.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Is anyone feeling emotionally fragile this morning? Here, try this:

BOO!!!

Still here? Ok, you pass.

My, my

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
So umm in conclusion, everything's fine... no reason to jump out the window or anything like that.

OP has not been back. Eek

OP's loss. *shrug*

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I guess if I'd actually admonished the guy, he'd have gotten suicidal.

BOO!!

OK, just checking

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess if I'd actually admonished the guy, he'd have gotten suicidal.

BOO!!

OK, just checking

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You think he is sad now. Wait till this thread has the misfortune of falling to page 2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Q

Posts: 26385 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The OP retains his posting rights. If he wishes to be a member here and can stop acting so incredibly timid and melodramatic, he's welcome in the forum.

If he can't get past this thread, that's his problem alone.

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I sold plenty of my own - just stuff which accumulated and LOTs of my father's. Kept what he really cared about/used but he was at an income level where normal guns were something he would buy to divert himself for an afternoon.

I get "obsessive" about things and go through lots of products until I find what I like, then I sell off what I don't like as much

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
If we're gonna start throwing out scares and BOO's Willy nilly. I'm going to my safe space to color. Eek

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That ain't the half of it. I'm 'bout to send in the clowns.

Oh, wait. Shit, they're already here.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gambit123:
I have no reason to do it other then no use for them. What is everyone else's thoughts on this?

Sell them all, they're just guns

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I'm seemingly constantly buying and selling guns in order to find that perfect minimum gun battery that fills all of my needs and makes me content. I think I could do it with just 5 or 6 guns. Life is better when it is kept simple and uncluttered. After a while too much stuff begins to feel like a weight dragging you down.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Isn't it rich? Isn't it queer?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:
Maybe sell off the one or two you feel the least about. See how that goes and then decide whether to go ahead with more
Brilliant answer and good approach!

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
One of my most favorite topics ---

I'll take perhaps a less common view. I completely understand. I always sell things I don't use. Once in a blue moon I actually need that item again, but very very rarely. More often, it is a passing nostalgia or feeling that I wish I still had it, but in reality, even then I don't need it, and if I had it again, would likely soon sell it again.

I very much enjoy the faux-wealth of re-liquified cash. I often joke that I've been spending the same money for 20 years. In truth, there's very often a loss on the sale, but gathered over time, those losses to me are the cost of the enjoyment. Like a ski trip, or a golf vacation. My main passion now is watches, but I once greatly enjoyed collecting guns of various types. I've had some wonderful stuff. I now have a Glock 19. and a Ruger 10/22 youth that I may upgrade to a CZ452 very soon.

The Disciplined Pursuit of Less (see signature line) isn't about minimalism for the sake of self-denial. In business or translated to "personal" application in one's life, it's about freeing resources -- time, brain cycles, people, dollars -- to do higher-value and/or more interesting things.

Collecting things is fun. I like to buy watches. But it's as fun for me to trip and tune down as it is to add. A casual chronograph trimmed for a casual diver watch that seems more fitting for the places I might go that suppose casual watches. Trim a Grand Seiko that I wear to work to add a Jaeger LeCoultre that I think I like more, which would also only be useful in the work mode. etc...

Two last quick thoughts. A friend's father once said (and it stuck with me), "The more you own, the more own's you". ...and finally, consider that if you owe money on a car, that could be paid by selling something you don't need/use/want, you are essentially financing that item at the rate of your highest % rate debt.

Hope that helps.
Very thoughtful, well written post. I feel pretty much in same place. You might make a good "Estate Attorney" Smile

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I have downsized my collection by half or better and don't regret it one bit. I enjoy owning fewer guns. I get to spend more time with my favorites without feeling bad that others just sit there unused. I'd rather sell it and let someone else actually enjoy it.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post