SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about selling the collection
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about selling the collection Login/Join 
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
These threads come up occasionally, and I must admit, in the last couple years, I have been thinking about my accumulation.

I'll be 66 this year, and both my parents died when they were around 72, so I'm guessing the possibility of me living to 100 is pretty slim. I have 2 younger brothers, and neither one of them have any interest in guns. I have a couple close friends that have guns, but 1 or 2 seem to make them happy. I have no children, grand children, nieces, nephews, cousins, no one, to leave my guns to, and my wife has absolutely no interest in them. If I go first, I really don't want her to have to worry about getting rid of them.

I have enjoyed having them. I'm glad I was able to afford them. Even the ones I don't shoot very often have given me pleasure. I used to go shooting every weekend, now I go 4 or 5 times a year. I do have my favorites though, and I think I could be perfectly happy with 8 or 10 pistols, and a couple rifles.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of us have come to this cross-road once or twice. I know I have. Many times I open the safe and ask myself the same. I see quite a few guns i just pickup and wipe down every so often. I seem to take the same few guns out shooting all the time.

I have done some selling in the past and down sized the collection. However for no other reason than "I just love guns", I end up buying one here and there and the next thing I know I have just As many guns in the safe as before.

I don't need the majority of my guns. I just love having them. I keep telling myself that one day I am going to have a house with 10 or 15 acres and then I will shoot "all" the guns in the safe!!

Best of luck to you!

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
These threads come up occasionally, and I must admit, in the last couple years, I have been thinking about my accumulation.

I'll be 66 this year, and ...

Muddflap, your situation describes mine to a "T" - age and all, except one thing: My firearm count has never risen to, much less above, what you're talking about skinnying-down to Smile

But, still: Same concerns. I think I'll want to keep them as long as I can still shoot. I'm thinking that, if my wife goes before I, I'll will them to the NRA.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Alright-y. Lemmee scratch "the humorous approach" off the list of ways to address this.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
Well, at 76, this thread is interesting to me. For whatever reason, I've loved guns since forever. Until recently, I've always used most of them for hunting. But simply having them brings great joy, whether used or not. Seeing them, and thinking about them is a pleasure.

As I now think, no reason to consider trimming the herd. I have a son and a daughter that will enjoy them after I'm gone. While neither simply enjoys guns as I do, they both hunt and shoot. And they both seem to love free Smile stuff.

I have one I bought in 78 that is still unfired. For some strange reason, it means as much to me as any of the others. I figure on keeping all of my guns until I die, or become incapacitated. They will then go to my children. This has been in my will for the last 14 years, so no worries...... Smile

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One question would be where is the best place to keep some of your wealth? Is it better off in guns, dollars, stocks or something else? I'm not sure there is an answer to this that is certain to be right. I think diversification is a good idea.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I crossed that bridge some years back and I gave away to friends and also some to two kids with their parents approval.
The ones for the kids gave me so much joy,I have taught the boys shooting for several years while their dad was deployed to A-stan multi times.
Did it also a few times previous years to friends.
My children and grandchildren have not been slighted as they have received at least six each.
I just want certain people to be taken care of.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have made it a practice since I was able to purchase a gun that I would never ever sell any of them as long as I am alive.

Posts: 26 | Location: Way Up North, Maine | Registered: April 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
^^^^I just keep a list, easy to find, so when I go;
1. My kids get to pick all they want
2. The NFA trust passes to the kids
3. SWMBO will sell the rest (if any) close to their value.

Being a minimalist is a choice, so is being a collector. I just like guns.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I don't normally advocate selling, but based off recent events - you can go ahead and sell anything from Springfield Armory and Rock River. Right now you get a free pass for selling them.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you can't take them with you ,

if you have not touched them in 16 months, they are just taking up space

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Alright-y. Lemmee scratch "the humorous approach" off the list of ways to address this.

I knew it! Big Grin

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

That is what I have been thinking. I go to the range at least once a week, often two times. I shoot my Legion 226 so often-- I love this gun-- that I'm thinking about buying another one. I also shoot my Sig 220, and my Wilson Pro.

But there are other guns that just... sit. Every six months or so I oil and grease them, and put them away again.

I'm in the process of selling my 226 in .40-- which will be replaced by a Legion 226 in 9mm. But I'm thinking about selling my H&K VP9. And another couple of guns that just... take up space. Good guns, but I don't use them. So why am I keeping them?

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So umm in conclusion, everything's fine. No one's getting nuked, no reason to jump out the window or anything like that.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
I'm in a similar position. I used to live at a home with a backyard range that I well used. After my divorce, it's been moving like a Gypsy, and it's getting real old moving anything, let alone a large gun collection 5 times in 4 years.

I have sold some pieces, and I think more are on the way. My only child daughter has no interest, or anyone in my family. I hate to think of what a burden this could be for someone, and I like the feeling of a new collector getting a shot at the good stuff. *IF* I ever settle down, I think having someone/some firm buying up the whole collection, might be a reality.

Most of my gear is C&R military, and it is very pleasurable to simply admire them, work the action, see what went for real quality, and wonder what they have seen. I also respect, and consider them historic relics, and want anyone who receives any of them, to keep it that way; no Bubba hack jobs to history please.

It really is hard to think this way, being how it used to be; shooting since I was 8 or so, taught myself reloading at 13, hunted nearly everyday in HS, used to shoot at least 500 rounds of ammo nearly every weekend, shot trap. Funny thing getting older.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Wow!
I have 16 year old guns still unfired.
My hope is that someday I will retire and possibly have more time to play.
As for those that consider guns as a financial investment, you probably need a new financial adviser.
I consider my guns as an investment in my children and future grandchildrens enjoyment.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So umm in conclusion, everything's fine. No one's getting nuked, no reason to jump out the window or anything like that.

Wow! I love this place! It comes with happy endings!

I sold a 226 X5 because of my eye sight. Wanted to get something I could shoot better. Man I regret that!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
So umm in conclusion, everything's fine... no reason to jump out the window or anything like that.

OP has not been back. Eek

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
It's your collection...

I've regretted selling a few that were hard to get back once I realized I should have kept them.

I got rid of a bunch at one time to help pay for a wedding All the money went to something that mattered more.

Now only owning a few has been just fine..

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I consider my guns as an investment in my children and future grandchildren's enjoyment.

It's an activity I enjoy with my children as well. And someday, they will have most of my guns.
Still, I see no problem with thinning the herd from time to time. We all have our reasons.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post