SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about selling the collection
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about selling the collection Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gambit123:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Please post a price. All WTS ads must have a price.

Hope this a joke I am not looking to sell, just asking for opinions Eek

Roll Eyes

I was sitting here thinking how the hell could a member who has been here since 2009 think Para (who do know who he is, yes?) could think he was joking?

But then I looked...that's what happens when most of your posts are in the classifieds.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I am sorry if I offended you. Yes I know who he is but I don't need your judgment. Para just kill my account as well.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I am sorry if I offended you. Yes I know who he is but I don't need your judgment. Para just kill my account as well.

Ooh, boy...

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will miss you guys. Just cause most of my posts were in the classifieds I still had a good time reading your posts. Goodnight fellows

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I'm in the same boat - out of my entire collection, there are only 2 or 3 handguns I regularly shoot. But, I just can't see myself ever selling anything - I know I would forever regret it. My taste in guns kind of goes in cycles, sometimes I like to admire my 1911, sometimes my Ruger Blackhawk, sometimes it's my HK or Sigs. Even though I don't shoot them, I still take pleasure in owning them. Plus, a couple of my kids have expressed interest in a few of my guns, and I'd like to be able to pass them on to them.

Same here. Sometimes I think about how much money is tied up in guns and what else I could do with it. But then I look at their sweet little faces staring up at me from the safe... Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I think I understand the OP. You have several firearms that you don't shoot anymore and wanted opinions on whether to sell or hang on to them.

I look at firearms as an investment. Values often do not change much so if they are in very good condition, hanging on to them until a time in need is probably wise. If you need money now, or rolling them over together will allow you to buy something else that you want and will shoot, then have at it!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have a ton of guns and magazines for each. There is a part of me who is getting to the point of wanting to sell off a large portion of it but then I always think that at this time I don't have to and the stroke of a pen could make it so I couldn't replace if I wanted or said pen stroke or market change could change the values exponentially.

At the end of the day I like the variety and until I NEED to I will probably sit on them.

Besides there is a tiny perverse part of me that wants my daughter or potential grandkids to have to clean out my house after I pass and have that moment of WTF. "What the hell did grandad need with all this crap". Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think for me, the reduced resale value can't compare with leaving them to the kids when I kick. I enjoy shooting my dad's 22 Diamondback or cleaning his Garands. It would have been a shame if he had to liquidate his collection even though he could have used to extra money near the end.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I try to buy guns I have a use for.

Maybe the guns you are thinking of selling still have a use, You just need to remind yourself and practice the use you originally had for them.

Posts: 4627 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
I think for me, the reduced resale value can't compare with leaving them to the kids when I kick. I enjoy shooting my dad's 22 Diamondback or cleaning his Garands. It would have been a shame if he had to liquidate his collection even though he could have used to extra money near the end.

+1

This is what I was talking about in my post.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
One of my most favorite topics ---

I'll take perhaps a less common view. I completely understand. I always sell things I don't use. Once in a blue moon I actually need that item again, but very very rarely. More often, it is a passing nostalgia or feeling that I wish I still had it, but in reality, even then I don't need it, and if I had it again, would likely soon sell it again.

I very much enjoy the faux-wealth of re-liquified cash. I often joke that I've been spending the same money for 20 years. In truth, there's very often a loss on the sale, but gathered over time, those losses to me are the cost of the enjoyment. Like a ski trip, or a golf vacation. My main passion now is watches, but I once greatly enjoyed collecting guns of various types. I've had some wonderful stuff. I now have a Glock 19. and a Ruger 10/22 youth that I may upgrade to a CZ452 very soon.

The Disciplined Pursuit of Less (see signature line) isn't about minimalism for the sake of self-denial. In business or translated to "personal" application in one's life, it's about freeing resources -- time, brain cycles, people, dollars -- to do higher-value and/or more interesting things.

Collecting things is fun. I like to buy watches. But it's as fun for me to trip and tune down as it is to add. A casual chronograph trimmed for a casual diver watch that seems more fitting for the places I might go that suppose casual watches. Trim a Grand Seiko that I wear to work to add a Jaeger LeCoultre that I think I like more, which would also only be useful in the work mode. etc...

Two last quick thoughts. A friend's father once said (and it stuck with me), "The more you own, the more own's you". ...and finally, consider that if you owe money on a car, that could be paid by selling something you don't need/use/want, you are essentially financing that item at the rate of your highest % rate debt.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wait, what?

That was like watching Richard Hammond in a jet car! And why?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will miss you guys. Just cause most of my posts were in the classifieds I still had a good time reading your posts. Goodnight fellows

I may be wrong, but I really think there was some kidding going on. I hadn't read in this deep until now and see your member status on fire. Sorry to see it go this way... Hope it can be salvaged.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Confused
Confused

Posts: 1602 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Well that escalated quickly.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done this 3 or four times. I usually do end up buying more guns. Almost never do i buy the same guns over again. It is a good way to revamp a collection into a new group. I am hovering at about the same number of rifles vs pistols. Yet i dont use rifles nearly, 10 to 1, as much as pistols.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Geez, dude, chill.

I can't speak for him, but, I'm fairly certain that was merely a caution from the boss. You're approaching dangerously close to a line with your question. One step further and it'll look a lot like trying to use The Lounge for selling, and circumventing several selling rules.

If you go over the line: Trust me: You'll know, in no uncertain terms, real fast.

As to your question: Dunno. Have only ever sold one firearm: The T/C with which I competed in handgun metal silhouette. Sometimes I regret it, sometimes not. Right now I have two handguns I'll probably never use again, and they don't have any particularly special meaning to me, so I'll probably eventually put them up for sale here.

And that brings me to my last point: If you screw up, just man up, admit it, apologize, then go forth and sin no more. Sigforum's rules really aren't onerous, the boss and membership are quite forgiving, and this really is the absolute best firearms forum on the Internet. Maybe the best forum of any kind, for those like us. One of the things that makes it great is it's a great place to buy and sell stuff. (And, I'll guarantee you: Riding herd on that aspect is no fun for the owner and his staff. So say "Thank you, Para.")

Don't shoot yourself in the foot over your ego.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
I know a guy (late 50s) who auctioned a large collection and kept just a few guns. He felt like he was a slave to his possessions, and it was very freeing.

I try to keep the ones I actually use.

But there are a few that I have that I don't shoot. So, I am inconsistent.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

Damn, doesn't take much for you to take your ball and go home.

Take a deep breath.

+++

Back to the original question. I have a rule, if I haven't used it in six months, then I sell/trade/gift/donate it. I only own one gun I don't use regularly, a P228. It's not a safe queen or anything, I just have others that fill the same roll 229/M11-A1 so I prefer to put the wear on those instead.

I can tell you this I've never, not regretted selling a gun (other than a POS 10-22 I could never make work). Thin the heard of what you know you don't want or haven't shot in years, then reevaluate.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a rule, I don't sell a gun unless I'm replacing it with another gun.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3534 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post