SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple friends... I need some help, please.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple friends... I need some help, please. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
A friend has a piece of antivirus software she wants to put on her Macbook Pro. I went to her house last night to try to help her and her husband get things set up. I failed miserably, as I'm not an Apple person.

First, they wanted to remove Kaspersky antivirus. Seems easy, no? No. As a Windows guy, I'm used to going to the Control Panel and finding something like "uninstall." Not so on the Macbook. After a quickie Google search, I thought I had removed Kaspersky -- the article I read told me to simply drag the application to the trash can. That seemed easy. But after a reboot, the little "K" icon appeared in the title bar again. So, Question One is: how do I remove an application altogether?

After what I thought was a successful removal, I tried installing their new software and got a message saying that the software requires OS X version 10.9 or later. A quick check revealed that the machine is a mid-2012 machine and had OS X 10.8.3. A quick update got us to 10.8.5 After that, there was no obvious (to me) path to 10.9. So Questions Two and Three are: can this machine be updated to 10.9, and how do I do that?

And if that weren't enough: Mrs D wants to move a bunch of photos from her iPhone to her Macbook. Optimistically, I thought we could enable Bluetooth on both devices and get to it. I was, evidently, incorrect. The Macbook would discover the iPhone, but after that I had no idea how to get into copying photos. Question Four: how do we move photos from iPhone to Macbook efficiently? Apologies, I don't know which version of iPhone Mrs D has. (I'll text her and ask now.)

Thank you, SF -- as always -- for your help.

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
whew. You have quite a list. I'll try to help you and be thorough yet as brief as possible.

First, Kaspersky Internet Security 15 (if this is what your friend is using) does have an uninstall app.
Go here for instructions-

https://support.kaspersky.com/11531#block0

Some applications do NOT have an uninstall and you do indeed drag them to the trash. To follow up on this, (just as with a Windows machine) a restart afterwards would be necessary.

Regarding Mac OS versions- Pretty much any Mac made after 2010 will run OS Sierra. As well, all of these (with proper available storage space and sufficient memory) will also run High Sierra OS 10.13 (latest OS).
In most cases you can just go ahead and install the latest OS.

First, they should make sure that they have backed up their drive using Time Machine.

Once that is completed, open the "App Store" and you will probably see a banner at the top for "MacOS High Sierra". All you have to do is click on it and it will bring up a download window. Then follow the instructions. Any active anti-virus should be off for this procedure just as with a Windows machine.

If the High Sierra banner isn't there, just search the App Store for"High Sierra" in the search window at the top right.

Begin the download and then follow instructions.

You will use "Photos" (earlier app version was iphoto) to transfer photos in Mac OS. You should use the cable that came with your phone to connect to the USB port on your Mac.

Once you connect your phone to your Mac it should immediately open "Itunes" and it will ask your phone if you should "trust" that Mac. (Yes).

Once the phone is connected, open "Photos" if it doesn't automatically open. It should ask to connect or else automatically connect to the phone and bring up a screen with the photos on the phone. You either select individual photos or else say "import all".

Guide is here:

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Photos-on-macOS

(It's still easier than facing towards Redmond Washington, bowing three times and sacrificing a chicken for a Windows 10 install, if ya know what I mean)...

Hope this helps! If you run into any problems you can get my email from my profile and send me a note-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Rinehart is dead on.
But to a non apple head, this must be Greek.
If you can't understand this take a trip to Apple they will be glad to show you how they smart they are. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
downtownv is right!

Go to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store and they will help you with this for free, and explain it much better than I did...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much! Mrs D is going to bring me her machine tomorrow, so I'll get to tinker with it over the weekend.

I'm sure she won't leave me her phone (ha!), but I do have an iPod touch here with a few pics on it. I can use that for the learning, and then work with her again over the weekend or on Monday to get her photos copied.

The Genius Bar sounds like a neat idea (road trip!); I'll have to find out where there's one close to East Boofoo.... Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Maybe I just do it another way but, I own a 2013 Macbook pro R and even when I had the original iPhotos app installed when I purchased it, using my iPhone my photos would automatically upload into the Macbook iPhotos. When I updated to the new Photos app as long as I enable my photo stream in the Photos preferences, all my photos automatically upload to my computer into the Photos app automatically, I've never used any cable to upload my images from iPhone to computer. It's fairly quick too. Usually by the time I've snapped off the images with my iPhone and go open my computer, all the images taken are already in the Photos app for viewing or editing. Maybe I've been doing some things differently in the settings but, I've not used a cord to upload any photos in the past. In fact, I thought that this was a great bonus with using iPhones and the Apple computer!

If you wish I can tell you all my settings on my iPhone and Macbook to enable photos to upload without any cord or cable..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This ^^^^ I just let Photos keep all my apple devices fully synced. As soon as I take a picture it appears on all my apple devices and is also backed up to the cloud. (the backup part is optional).

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Maybe I just do it another way but, I own a 2013 Macbook pro R and even when I had the original iPhotos app installed when I purchased it, using my iPhone my photos would automatically upload into the Macbook iPhotos. When I updated to the new Photos app as long as I enable my photo stream in the Photos preferences, all my photos automatically upload to my computer into the Photos app automatically, I've never used any cable to upload my images from iPhone to computer. It's fairly quick too. Usually by the time I've snapped off the images with my iPhone and go open my computer, all the images taken are already in the Photos app for viewing or editing. Maybe I've been doing some things differently in the settings but, I've not used a cord to upload any photos in the past. In fact, I thought that this was a great bonus with using iPhones and the Apple computer!

If you wish I can tell you all my settings on my iPhone and Macbook to enable photos to upload without any cord or cable..

just1tym,

You are using one of the effective ways to sync your iphone/ipad- I didn't mention it in the thread above as I was trying to keep it the most direct route without potential complications.

I actually don't have wireless sync turned on in my case because I have two teenagers who push our bandwidth to the breaking point...

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
I actually don't have wireless sync turned on in my case because I have two teenagers who push our bandwidth to the breaking point...

Is wireless sync the feature that allows a person's incoming texts to show up on her Mac too? Mrs D's sister has enabled something on her Apple devices that has had this effect, and she really wants to "unlink" them, keeping her phone and computer intentionally separate. Perhaps that's Question Five.

God bless America.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Apple's ecosystem does allow automatic synching of mail, photos, text messages, calendars, notes and some other things between iPhone, iPad and MacOS X, using iCloud.
It's extremely conventient: I can write myself a note on the computer, it will synch with notes on the iPhone, and I've got my shopping list when I get to the store.
Same with appointments on the Calendar.
It is awfully convenient.
You might want to double-check if they don't want to have this convenience.
Also, depending on what apps are on the old OS X computer, they may have problems opening in Sierra or High Sierra.
High Sierra just came out--I haven't updated my MacBook Pro yet to use it, as there were some compatibility problems with the last update.

I agree completely with taking it to the Genius bar for help. A lot of things are done much differently in the Mac than in Windows. Configuration of a new system is usually much easier on the Mac, however.

Good luck!
Go Hokies!

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
You should call for an appointment before going to the genius bar. They are usually packed, and won't see you if no appt.

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
You can look up the web page for the Apple Store nearest you and log in using your Apple ID.
The Genius Bar will be somewhere on their page and you can book a appointment and see what times are available.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Ah, fudge. Removing Kaspersky requires a password. And Mrs D is on the road for the weekend.

I'll set up Time Machine in the mean time. Can that back up to an external hard drive?

God bless America.

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Yep, if you plug in an external hard drive it will ask if it can use it as a Time Machine Backup. Generally it is best to have either an empty drive or one with sufficient space to allow sequential backups. (That's how Time Machine works).

In my family I have four people with Macbook Pros. Again, due to the bandwidth demands of my boys I generally just physically hook up a USB drive once a week to each of the laptops and Time Machine does the rest. (I could use a wireless network drive but it would be painful when they are hogging bandwidth).

Time Machine is a pretty effective app.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at Best Buy's web site. There are Mac-specific hard drives. Sixty bucks for a terabyte sounds not-too-bad.

God bless America.

I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
You don't necessarily need a Mac specific drive.

Drives can be formatted as FAT (MS-DOS), which can be used by PC/Mac w/o reformatting.

Hard drives can be formatted for macOS use by using Disk Utility.

Erasing a volume using Disk Utility

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
You don't necessarily need a Mac specific drive.

AFAIK, there is no such thing as a Mac specific drive (if we're talking about the bare hard drive itself, and not the enclosure). A bare hard drive can be formatted for Mac, Windows, and the various Unix varieties, using the appropriated disk utility. It may come already formatted one way, and therefore sold as a "Mac drive", but it can be reformatted.

Some vendors may package a bare drive in an enclosure, in such a way that it only works with a Mac (such as, in older days, it only has a Firewire interface).

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Okay. I grabbed a 1TB drive and connected it to the Mac. Mac wants me to erase the disk (Okay, fine), then tells me "MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation."

Say, what? Confused

-------------
Edited to add:

Well... um... I unplugged it and plugged it back in, and it seems that Time Machine is taking off. Mac tells me it's backing up right now. I'll let it sit here and work for a while, hoping I can get the password from Mrs D soon and finish removing Kaspersky.

When I try to remove Kaspersky and Mac requests this password, is that like an administrator password on Windows, or is that a password specific to the Kaspersky software? Anyone know?

God bless America.

I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Okay. I grabbed a 1TB drive and connected it to the Mac. Mac wants me to erase the disk (Okay, fine), then tells me "MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation."

Say, what? Confused

-------------
Edited to add:

Well... um... I unplugged it and plugged it back in, and it seems that Time Machine is taking off. Mac tells me it's backing up right now. I'll let it sit here and work for a while, hoping I can get the password from Mrs D soon and finish removing Kaspersky.

When I try to remove Kaspersky and Mac requests this password, is that like an administrator password on Windows, or is that a password specific to the Kaspersky software? Anyone know?

To delete an application, the Mac OS will ask for the administrator password for the Mac. I use an app called, appropriately enough, App Delete. It is available to try before buying. It collects the files associated with an application & moves them to the trash. It doesn't circumvent the OS's security and still asks for an admin's password.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can do lots of cool stuff with the Mac equipment. I set up "family sharing" on an iPad for my mother in Phoenix. Now when I take pictures with my cell phone, they pop up on her machine, as well as mine.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post