SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American Airlines institutes VeriFly app for travel
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Airlines institutes VeriFly app for travel Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
Papers Please!!

I wonder how this doesn't violate HIPAA and what is next for the app.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-d...el-to-US-OPS-DIS-01/

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I understand your comments/concerns regarding HIPPA but I think that something like this will be necessary if the borders are to be opened up. Perhaps when those of us who get the vaccine shots will be able to upload the documentation...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Interesting that ...

Daon's biometric identification platform, IdentityX, is co-developed in Serbia.

I don't see any privacy policies on the Daon website.

The VeriFLY app doesn't appear to ask or store a traveller's health information.

Seems to match a passenger destination's COVID-19 requirements.

I will ask for a demo or try the app out, just to learn what this does.

--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Papers Please!!

I wonder how this doesn't violate HIPAA and what is next for the app.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-d...el-to-US-OPS-DIS-01/

Here's why it doesn't violate HIPAA:

What's next for the app is probably using it for travel in the Continental United States.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/i...2C%20at%2042%20U.S.C

The HIPAA Privacy Rule permits providers to share immunization records with public health officials for public health purposes as otherwise authorized by law. Under the VFC statute, at 42 U.S.C.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Who in the hell would voluntarily fly on an American Airlines flight in the first place? Eek

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Who in the hell would voluntarily fly on an American Airlines flight in the first place? Eek
I'm with you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You're sort of missing the point, there's a whole slew of people, a certain type of people who will fly American JUST because of this.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
You're sort of missing the point, there's a whole slew of people, a certain type of people who will fly American JUST because of this.
Correct, and they are the same mentally damaged retards that perpetuated this BS in the first place. American Airlines is the broken wheel cattle car of the skies, so let the stupid and mentally retarded fill their pens.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Hey, I have an idea? How about a tattoo. You know, like a bar code. Everybody can get it on their forearm. You know, to show you care. Just one small sacrifice to keep others safe.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Hey, I have an idea? How about a tattoo. You know, like a bar code. Everybody can get it on their forearm. You know, to show you care. Just one small sacrifice to keep others safe.

Love it......NOT. But that is where this slippery slope will surely lead.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

LOL, agreed. They are the worst!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm never one to stop a good ole AAL hate fest, but this isn't exactly them going out on their own. As of Jan 26 it will be a requirement for air travelers entering the USA to provide proof of a neg covid test. Once the vaccine(s) are fully rolled out it is almost certain one will be required to show proof of vaccination for international travel, and likely domestic air travel as well. Not to mention amusement parks, concerts, sporting events, etc. So apps like this will become the norm if one wishes to engage in societal activities. Don't have to like it, but won't be able to avoid it unfortunately.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
I'm never one to stop a good ole AAL hate fest, but this isn't exactly them going out on their own. As of Jan 26 it will be a requirement for air travelers entering the USA to provide proof of a neg covid test. Once the vaccine(s) are fully rolled out it is almost certain one will be required to show proof of vaccination for international travel, and likely domestic air travel as well. Not to mention amusement parks, concerts, sporting events, etc. So apps like this will become the norm if one wishes to engage in societal activities. Don't have to like it, but won't be able to avoid it unfortunately.

All true but AAL will still suck. Customer service is shit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Vaccination records for travel are not a new thing.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
But, no good reason to fly American... Unless you like missing connections and losing luggage...

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Ah, ya, . . . The Mark of the Beast.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fly on American all the time. Not my favorite, but I don't get asked which airline I'll be traveling on. I'm told. So I go.

The application in question is one available to passengers, not one that's required, and passengers can upload their negative test results to the application to make entry easier. It's not a violation of anything, given that the passenger uploads his or her data.

Numerous countries and several states are also requiring evidence of a negative test, if one isn't going to go into quarantine, or if one wishes to enter. This isn't new, or unusual. The entry requirement isn't an AA requirement, but one established by the trump administration, and isn't much different from numerous other countries right now.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
In the meantime, we can’t find a flight to Aruba for the vacation we were supposed to have last year...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
This nonsense has to stop. Perhaps with enough of a backlash from those of us that aren’t sick and didn’t get sick and don’t want a worthless flu shot. Maybe this might push AA over the edge and into oblivion.

This scope creep is going to continue until those pushing the agenda are eliminated.

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aruba requires proof of a negative test for entry, as well as proof of health insurance.

Jet Blue flies to Aruba. Tickets are quite inexpensive, for the time being.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post