SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Break-in/Maintenance 2021 Toyota Corolla
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Break-in/Maintenance 2021 Toyota Corolla Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Looks like the dealer added additional things to inspect based upon early failures that they've seen on previous vehicles they've worked on.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:

It's strange that there doesn't seem to be any consistency. This is what the local dealer says the 5,000 mile maintenance will include, regardless of driving conditions:

Rotate Tires
Inspect/Adjust All Fluid Levels
Check Installation of Driver's Floor Mat
Visually Inspect Brake Linings/Drums/ and Brake Pads/Discs
Inspect Wiper Blades
Torque Nuts and Bolts on Chassis and Body
Inspect Ball Joints and Dust Covers
Inspect Steering Linkage
Inspect Engine Air Filter
Inspect Drive Shaft Boots
Replace Engine Oil and Filter

The 10,000 mile service shows the same thing. I guess I'll find out in a few months.

Good glad they're changing the oil at 5K. 10K is just too long IMO.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7095 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
They won't change the oil at 5,000 miles. When I bought my Highlander brand new in 2018 and reached 5,000 miles, I brought it in. I read through the receipt and it said the fluids were checked and topped off, the oil was not changed. I asked the girl and she said it was not because the manual does not call for it to be changed until 10,000 miles. It was at that time that I decided going to them for their "free" service wasn't worth my time.

Like Jimmy said, the tolerances in motors these days is way different from 20 years ago. That combined with the improvement in oil and filter technology and that break in stuff is probably obsolete by now.

I change the oil on my new cars after a couple thousand not because it needs it but because I want to get my choice of oil and filter in there.

I typically drive around 7,000 miles and I'll change the oil, filter and rotate the tires. I take my time and do a quick visual under the car as well as inspect the brakes.

Posts: 13108 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
...I change the oil on my new cars after a couple thousand not because it needs it but because I want to get my choice of oil and filter in there.

And, out of curiosity, what is your choice of oil and filter? You figure they are better than Toyota brand (would not be surprising to me)?

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always figured that when you have maintenance for some time in the purchase price, and the extreme pressure from the EPA about reducing used oil and filters and the likelihood that the mfg. actually doesn't give a hoot about the miles that I care about (200K+) that its worth paying to do it more often than they suggest.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just traded in my RAV4. Toyota Care at 5000 is a tire rotation and check levels. They will change oil/filter at 10.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Not Toyota but I bought my daughter a 2020 Subaru Impreza and it calls for oil changes every 6 months or 6k miles. I was doing my BMWs every 6 months of 7.5k miles.
While her car is in warranty, I will be doing it every 6 months/6k miles, once warranty expires, I will go to the every 6 months/7.5k miles I've been doing on my cars. My 2019 BMW X2 only has 5100 miles on it but I change the oil every 6 months anyway. A jug of synthetic is around $25 and a filter is a few bucks so why not?

For her Subaru, I actually bought Japanese built oil filters. Not the ones they sell in the states.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8018 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every car/truck I own (way too many) of 4 different brands all have a time limit on oil changes that is mileage independent. I would be stunned if Toyota doesn't have the same.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I just traded in my RAV4. Toyota Care at 5000 is a tire rotation and check levels. They will change oil/filter at 10.

This. Toyota has full synthetic oil only needs changing every 10K. Toyota care pays for the first 2 years and we have had a few Toyota’s with no issue and the new highlander just got it’s oil change at 1 year. It was only at 5 k miles because it was mostly in the garage due to corona and remote working.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Maybe they put something in the oil for breakin that needs to be there until the 10k mile mark????That would be my guess.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Maybe they put something in the oil for breakin that needs to be there until the 10k mile mark????That would be my guess.

That was a thought I had as well. I have heard that Hondas have. I am looking into that. Also, have contacted the Mississippi plant where it was assembled.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Toyotas just don't need much maintenance.

Don't forget to check and replace the cabin air filter every so often. It's behind the glovebox in my Camry and is so easy to replace. (Out of sight, out of mind)

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Toyotas just don't need much maintenance.

Don't forget to check and replace the cabin air filter every so often. It's behind the glovebox in my Camry and is so easy to replace. (Out of sight, out of mind)

Yes, I've done that a few times in my old Corolla.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
It is amazing how bent I have seen some people get over this debate over the years... You do whatever to your car you want... and so will I.

Some people on a respected Mazda forum suggested that cars came with break-in oil n them and I might actually be doing harm if I changed it early. Some said it was dumb, or I was stupid, and it was a waist of money.

So, to settle the debate I contacted Mazda North America and they put me in e-mail contact with an engineer at the factory in Japan where my car was built! He said... no special oil or additives in the factory fill and the factory fill was the same Mazda branded oil I can buy over the counter at any Mazda dealer. He also said no harm what-so-ever in changing it early.

So I changed it at 1,500, 3,000, 6,000, 10,000, 14,000. I also used the factory branded oil in the recommended weight until the warrantee expired, despite it being $10 a quart.

I also changed the manual transmission oil and differential oil at 5k miles.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:

This. Toyota has full synthetic oil only needs changing every 10K. Toyota care pays for the first 2 years and we have had a few Toyota’s with no issue and the new highlander just got it’s oil change at 1 year. It was only at 5 k miles because it was mostly in the garage due to corona and remote working.

Old school oils break down and don't protect as long as synthetic. I believe one should discuss intervals in relation to regular, blended, or full synthetic, as being different. Changing full synthetic oil at 1K or 3k is like throwing out your tires at 8/32 for new ones.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
quote:

Old school oils break down and don't protect as long as synthetic. I believe one should discuss intervals in relation to regular, blended, or full synthetic, as being different. Changing full synthetic oil at 1K or 3k is like throwing out your tires at 8/32 for new ones.

My thoughts and question about early first oil change have nothing to do with the oil breaking down or being ineffective; they have to do with debris or contaminants from the early stages of new engine wear circulating and causing damage, and early oil change as a counter-measure to that (potential) condition.

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
This has been discussed here before and we have the same responses. I will add what I have before from a few local ASE mechanics from different shops in town that have (or had, not sure it is on anymore) a car repair show on am radio. They state that manufacturer recommendations for service are only designed to keep the original owner happy with no break downs and low maintenance costs since most car owners only have cars for a couple of years on average before trading. Manufacturer recommendations are not to get 200,000 miles out of their vehicles, they care for the first owner, not any after that.

So if you do not plan on keeping it until it falls apart then do as little as possible. If you plan on keeping it, spending and extra $50 every 10000 miles is not breaking the bank but it can extend engine life. Oil get contaminated and does not go bad, keeping it clean extends its protective properties. Even modern technology lets particulates through filters and does not remove all contamination that can accelerate wear. Me, I change my oil at 1000 on my new cars, I can afford the $50 for an extra oil change. I change mine every 3000 miles too, it is not a lot of extra money since I do it myself.

Now wade through all the opinions here and just do what makes you feel good.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:
quote:

My thoughts and question about early first oil change have nothing to do with the oil breaking down or being ineffective; they have to do with debris or contaminants from the early stages of new engine wear circulating and causing damage, and early oil change as a counter-measure to that (potential) condition.

How about simply pulling the oil filter, filling an oil sample and sending it out, and having a lab analyze it first. THEN you'd KNOW if there is a break in issue or high wear of a certain metal. Instead of pissing in the wind with a guess, and simply changing the oil at 1k or 3k or whatever miles that make you feel warm and fuzzy. IF there is an issue and you change the oil early, it may just delay when the issue presents itself, which may end up outside of warranty.

Manufacturers put maintenance guidlines to protect the engine, not to mention they sell more parts because of it. Delaying it is a detriment to them, not a benefit.

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How about simply pulling the oil filter, filling an oil sample out, and having a lab analyze it first. THEN you'd know if there is a break in issue or high wear of a certain metal.

I can almost change my oil for what a Blackstone oil analysis costs (Advance Auto runs specials for around $35). https://www.blackstone-labs.co...wpzxx555vowambc))%2f

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How about simply pulling the oil filter, filling an oil sample out, and having a lab analyze it first. THEN you'd know if there is a break in issue or high wear of a certain metal.

I can almost change my oil for what a Blackstone oil analysis costs (Advance Auto runs specials for around $35). https://www.blackstone-labs.co...wpzxx555vowambc))%2f

Yes, but you still don't know if you have an issue with your engine. Just doing dialysis. It's like when your doctor asks you to go and take a blood test. Then they know exactly where your health stands. Caterpillar dealer sells an S.O.S. sample kit (including the test) for around $25.