SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would You Hunt Black Bear with an Air Rifle?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would You Hunt Black Bear with an Air Rifle? Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted

50 caliber!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah. The .50 caliber ones shoot at around 700 FPS. However, I would have at least a .44 mag revolver with me as well, in case that 1st shot with the air rifle doesn't seal the deal.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
$800 seems like a lot to spend for an air rifle.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't hunt any bear with any kind of weapon. I leave them alone. So far, they've done the same for me.

Unless you're going to eat it, or it's threatening you or another human, all animals should be left alone.

If I killed a living thing that didn't need killing, I'd have a hard time looking at myself in the mirror.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I wouldn't hunt any bear with any kind of weapon. I leave them alone. So far, they've done the same for me.

Unless you're going to eat it, or it's threatening you or another human, all animals should be left alone.

Agreed! I was just shocked that this guy would use an air rifle for such a dangerous task.

When he places the "magazine" into the rifle, it appears to hold two rounds. I wonder if the user would have to cock it again for the second round.

Another reason it appealed to me is probably because I live behind enemy lines, and as of now, I could have this rifle shipped to my door. I don't imagine that situation will go unnoticed by the commies in Sacramento for too long.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
A brief history of airguns:

https://www.aceros-de-hispania...air-guns-history.htm

To situate the origins of air rifles and pistols of thiskind, it would be necessary to go back to the 15th and 16th centuries AD.There is no unanimity amongst historians as regards the exact moment whenthis type of guns appeared. This is due to the fact that material remainsare very scarce; unfortunately today we haven't retained a huge number ofancient air rifles. Based on archaeological opinion, the year 1580 marks a turning point in the history of compressed air guns, as this is the date belonging to the oldest air gun that has been preserved. This piece is stored in the Livrustkammaren Museum in Stockholm and is a spring rifle, also called a piston, as the role of this piece is to compress the existing air within the cylinder of the weapon, which then propels the shot which is fired...

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Chuck Norris hunts bears with a hickory switch.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Don't know about a bear but this one was put to use by soldiers and Lewis and Clark on their Trek across America.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the decade I bought a Montana Sportsman license annually the Bear tag was the only one I never filled, nor wanted to

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Chuck Norris hunts bears with a hickory switch.

I assumed bears would just surrender with their paws in the air to Chuck. Smile

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
lewis and clark took air rifles

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe with a Quakenbush

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
lewis and clark took air rifles

They also took mirrors and beads but did not use them to hunt bears. They had a great respect of the bear.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I asked the bear about this and she said the last guy who tried it was delicious!

Kidding aside, I guess I wouldn't hunt a black bear with an air rifle as I wouldn't be out there hunting bears anyway.

Play deader Tim!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a friend who hunts them with a bow. So far,
he has won.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
We leave to go elk hunting in a week and a half. There are black bears where we go. I am very afraid of running across one, although I have never seen one face to face, but have seen scat. I have a 30-06 too!

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
$800 seems like a lot to spend for an air rifle.

Serious?

800 is considered budget friendly for PCP air guns. Most quality guns come in around 1500-2200.

Then customs are over 5k.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Is it a single shot? Have to charge the gun after each shot?

I want to see 100-yard groups.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I got to shoot a Lewis and Clark replica gun. It was at least a 45 cal.. It shot a pure lead ball and I shot it in to a metal plate. The ball looked like a quarter when I picked it up. It was a great gun. It had a hand pump that pumped it up and could shoot for a few shots. It was interesting that the gasket was made of bone or horn, and they said it worked better than a synthetic material.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Is it a single shot? Have to charge the gun after each shot?

I want to see 100-yard groups.

magazine fed bolt action, 3 full power shots, and a couple lower.

Fast forward to 6min on this video to get some quick specs and 50 yard range group I think.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post