SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would You Hunt Black Bear with an Air Rifle?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would You Hunt Black Bear with an Air Rifle? Login/Join 
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Seen plenty of bears in the wilderness over the years, and so far have had zero reason to mess with them. None have ever messed with me, so far. I hope I never need to shoot one.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
I hope I never need to shoot one.

Problem is, if you need to shoot at one, it's more than likely too late.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I wouldn't hunt any bear with any kind of weapon.

My bud down the street is headed soon out to a nearby state under a disabled vets program with tags for deer, elk, and yes bear. Said he's had it before and the eatin' isn't bad if prepared properly.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
$800 seems like a lot to spend for an air rifle.

Serious?

800 is considered budget friendly for PCP air guns. Most quality guns come in around 1500-2200.

Then customs are over 5k.

To each their own, but I am not interested at those prices.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
With a Red Rider in .177? Definitely not.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
I hope I never need to shoot one.

Problem is, if you need to shoot at one, it's more than likely too late.

I'll be as ready as possible. I just hope it never happens. And it most likely will not.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seen plenty of bears in the wilderness over the years, and so far have had zero reason to mess with them. None have ever messed with me, so far. I hope I never need to shoot one.

Same here. They have always run away when I have come across any in the wild. These were all Black bears.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:

Same here. They have always run away when I have come across any in the wild. These were all Black bears.

Yeah, it is more risky to drive on the Interstate on a Friday or Sat night, than to walk around in the woods. Bear attacks are very very rare.

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
lewis and clark took air rifles

They also took mirrors and beads but did not use them to hunt bears. They had a great respect of the bear.

quote:
Bears on the Lewis and Clark Expedition
It was the largest bear they'd ever seen, a great grizzly bear that weighed an estimated 600 pounds. A "most tremendous looking animal, and extreemly hard to kill," wrote Lewis in his journal on May 5, 1805. Clark described the grizzly as "verry large and a turrible looking animal." Clark and another member of the expedition fired 10 shots at it before it died.

Several tribes of Native Americans had told Lewis and Clark about grizzly bears. The tribes would only attack these great bears if there were 6-10 people in their hunting party, and even then the bears would sometimes kill one of them. The first grizzlies Lewis saw during the expedition were two smaller bears. He and another hunter had easily killed one of them. That day Lewis wrote in his journal that although the Native Americans with their bows and arrows might have problems, the grizzlies were no match for skilled rifleman.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
unless I was hungry and hunting was my means of feeding myself, yes-but not with an air rifle....

but, no i wouldn't hunt a bear

when I was in high school, my teacher did...she told us all about it, and then told us she used the meat to supplement her income, and then went into how she grew up poor (imagine that in Appalachia).

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
I hear the black bears in this area can be quite delicious if handled and prepared properly but I've never had the occasion to try any. It's illegal to hunt over bait here so the only way to get one is either with dogs (doesn't interest me) or to have one randomly show up while you're hunting something else (highly unlikely). I buy the tag every year just in case, but I'd rather try some meat to make sure I like it before killing one anyway. If I ever do shoot one, it won't be with an air rifle of any caliber.

Posts: 693 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Air rifle? Sure, why not? I don’t care the means of propulsion, only the physics.

First video said 180g at 1200 FPS. That is 10mm level of power.

I don’t hunt, but it makes sense to me having sportsmen pay to control animal populations (even for trophies) instead of taxpayers paying conservation officers to do it.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
This is a bear with some skin condition that makes it almost bald, but that aside ... look at that shit... I'm not scared easily in general, but fuck this thing right here... I hope I never have to shoot one, but if one looks at me wrong I'm emptying a magazine into it while crawfishing like a pro. This is some scary business right here, like a demon dog or something under all that cuddly hair/fur. This triggers my Oh Hell No reaction:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
Bow hunting elk in Montana a few years ago, this guy got to within about 40 yards of me before he decided not to have me for lunch.

I've been hunting for a lot of years, but never really had the urge to go after a bear.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Be careful, they bear arms...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
"Longbows in the Far North: An Archer's Adventures in Alaska and Siberia" is a very good book. The author hunted Grizzly bear alone in the wilderness with a traditional long bow without a buddy or ANY gun backup. That's pretty big brass balls for a Naturalist and MD. It's short but very well written.

https://www.amazon.com/Longbow...ntures/dp/B008W4CHFW

I hunt but don't have desire to take down really majestic creatures like the great bears but I don't knock those that do particularly if they are outstanding human beings, which I think is much more important than particular belief systems.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
lewis and clark took air rifles

They also took mirrors and beads but did not use them to hunt bears. They had a great respect of the bear.

quote:
Bears on the Lewis and Clark Expedition
It was the largest bear they'd ever seen, a great grizzly bear that weighed an estimated 600 pounds. A "most tremendous looking animal, and extreemly hard to kill," wrote Lewis in his journal on May 5, 1805. Clark described the grizzly as "verry large and a turrible looking animal." Clark and another member of the expedition fired 10 shots at it before it died.

Several tribes of Native Americans had told Lewis and Clark about grizzly bears. The tribes would only attack these great bears if there were 6-10 people in their hunting party, and even then the bears would sometimes kill one of them. The first grizzlies Lewis saw during the expedition were two smaller bears. He and another hunter had easily killed one of them. That day Lewis wrote in his journal that although the Native Americans with their bows and arrows might have problems, the grizzlies were no match for skilled rifleman.

I'm reading Undaunted Courage for the 3rd time in around 25 years. I read a little each day when I'm tasked with "Hall Duty" in school. A few weeks ago, I read the passage you quoted and had to laugh at your last sentence in the quote. The expedition learned very quickly they misjudged the power of the grizzlies.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have only eaten grizzly/brown bear made into chili and tacos (both were good). My buddies in Alaska said bear meat is greasy so you need to make into food you don't mind being greasy.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I hunt some but have never gone after bears and have no desire to do so. However there are reasons some fish and game authorities permit black bear hunting. Over population is my guess and I hold nothing against anyone who hunts them legally, ethically and makes use of the animal other than a trophy head.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I hunt some but have never gone after bears and have no desire to do so. However there are reasons some fish and game authorities permit black bear hunting. Over population is my guess and I hold nothing against anyone who hunts them legally, ethically and makes use of the animal other than a trophy head.

Normally their numbers are managed and at some point controlling population is necessary, just like any other animal. I’d like to hunt them some day but at this point I doubt it will ever happen. If I do I will definitely not use an air rifle, I think my rifle in 375 H&H would be my choice on bear.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post