SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where Are You In Managing Your Debt?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where Are You In Managing Your Debt? Login/Join 
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
I dont fit into any category. My only debt is my Mortgage and I do NOT live paycheck to paycheck. I have a healthy emergency fund of 6 months worth of expenses should anything happen. I'm investing in retirement and thats about where we are.

I resemble this.

--------------------------

I am also in this category. I have about 6 months of expenses in cash, a mortgage, and some student loans. The mortgage is on track to be paid off in 15 years or so, the studen loans are at 0.85% interest after the bonuses for auto bill pay and paying on time for more than 24 months in a row (seriously, how hard is that for people? I transfer my known monthly expenses to a different checking account every month, and they get automatically drafted from that account...). I put money into an investment account every month unless we have some heavy expenses, and will purchase our next cars out of that. I invest in a 401K, a Roth IRA, and my own personal accounts to that absolute limits I can. I work to save!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'm 73YO and have been retired for about 8 years now. I worked an extra job to have my mortgage paid off before my retirement date.

I don't owe nobody nuffin'.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
im a 31 year old construction worker. I own my home, am paying my mother back on a loan she gave me at 33% over the agreed upon repayment rate, my truck is paid off, and my wife is able to stay home with the kids instead of paying daycare close to what her salary would have been. I run a tight budget and have no problem saying no we can't afford it.
Pucbecks are tight some weeks but with discipline a manageable budget is doable.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I will ruin the SF stats somewhat.

We are way too deep in debt. We have been working on it but we have a long way to go.

Not counting our mortgage we have about 65,000 of debt. We have been paying the debt off but it has been a slow process. New roof, re-plumbing, a new car, all have interrupted the process. Somethings take priority but we have been making progress.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SpinZone,

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are both 34. We live comfortably, but within our means, and we are saving heavily for retirement. We max contributions to retirement accounts each year and then save more. We max yearly contributions to our daughter's college savings account.

We've got a mortgage, that's it. One car was bought on a 3 year loan, paid off in 2 years. The other we just bought outright, so, no car loans anymore. We paid off my student loans a few years ago, too. We use credit cards for convenience and rewards points, but never carry a balance.

We could pay off the house now, but that money is currently earning us more in the market than what we pay in interest on the balance of the mortgage.

We work hard, we both have good paying jobs, we stay in our lane, and we pay ourselves first.

The financial security we enjoy translates to many a good night's sleep, and helps preserve marital bliss.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Doing what to my what?

Posts: 107578 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where Are You In Managing Your Debt?

after my Great Conversion circa 1995, when I realized 'Managing Debt' was Not Working for me, a series of plans and actions left me WITHOUT Debt.

The biggest help was to somehow control my 'desire for stuff I couldn't afford'.

OK, I owe around $2500 on a 2 year old JK.
Life is good.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
What's that comedian's line.... "I used to owe a little and it bothered me a lot. Now I owe a lot and it only bothers me a little."
Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Life Member
posted Hide Post
I have no debt.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
no credit card dept, I have a 0% interest car loan that I can pay off tomorrow if I wanted to but right now I see no need to do so. I probably have around 6 months to go to pay off the house. We could do it sooner if we pushed it.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Don't really fit into any of those brackets as I have a decent amount saved... however I still have a mortgage and a car payment and a little credit card debt.

I could pay everything off if need be.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Only have a house payment. Everything else is paid for and we don't have any cc debt, we pay cash for everything, or pay off the cc at the end of the month.

Thanks Dave Ramsey!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I am debt free for atleast fifteen years,plan to keep it that way.
Bank account is growing now that I stopped buying guns and powder.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
I dont fit into any category. My only debt is my Mortgage and I do NOT live paycheck to paycheck. I have a healthy emergency fund of 6 months worth of expenses should anything happen. I'm investing in retirement and thats about where we are.
Same here. I voted that we're in the black, because the amount we have in savings is greater than what we still owe on the house. We could pay it off anytime we want, but since the remaining payments are almost entirely principal there's no point in it.

No car payments, no credit card debt, and student loans were paid off long ago. Our income exceeds our expenses, with the extra going to saving for the kids' college and/or real estate investments.

This pretty much describes me.

Mortgage is the only ongoing debit I have.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I have my mortgage and that's it.

CC are paid off every month and I'm maxing my retirement.

Bay Area Mortgage are pretty big though.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I have to say I envy you guys who say you are fully debt-free, it's got to be a great feeling.

Having kids these days with shitty health plans that make you pay lots out of pocket pretty much rules that out for now.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Right there with ya PASig. We could live on our income *if* the deductions weren’t so insane. Every year our health insurance gets worse and costs more.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
No debt, save my monthly CC bill, which I use to pay for almost everything, and pay off in full every month.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
34 years old, recently married. House note and some school debt, but nothing to lose sleep over.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
Still paying a 15-year mortgage. Both cars paid off. One zero-percent credit card has a balance.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post