SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where Are You In Managing Your Debt?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where Are You In Managing Your Debt? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I first graduated, a wise man suggested that I would have a lower stress life if I:
  • give my first 10% to church / charity
  • save my next 10%
  • live off the rest

I'm giving and saving more than that and my only debt is a 30 year mortgage that I'll pay off in 10 years (11.5 years total). I bought my used truck with a cashier's check and pay cc's in full every month.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Three Generations
    of Service
    Picture of PHPaul
    posted Hide Post
    I have about 2 years worth of payments on the tractor left. My credit card is paid down to <$100 every month. It is used for convenience only. (Love me some Amazon...)

House, car, truck and motorcycle are all paid for. Cash reserve in place for emergencies, and being aggressively built up for planned upgrades to the house as it has become painfully obvious that we are not going to be selling.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Dirty Boat Guy
    Picture of parallel
    posted Hide Post
    In the black and I'll never look back.

quote:
    And to think my spouse left over money....

I'd say the word for her is shortsighted.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    stupid beyond
    all belief
    Picture of Deqlyn
    posted Hide Post
    Just under 35; just have a mortgage. use CCs for points only and pay it off every month.

Thought abut upgrading the house but a $900 mortgage is just fine considering I am paying extra. Things are just things.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of mcrimm
    posted Hide Post
    Wow.....57% are debt free.

The media would like us to think we are all broke and on the edge of bankruptcy. I'm impressed.

Oh, I'm debt free as well. We retired about a year after our debt did.

Life's been good to me so far. (Joe Walsh)

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
    When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Void Where Prohibited
    Picture of WaterburyBob
    posted Hide Post
    Own my home, no debt of any kind for at least ten years, have a decent amount of money saved.

I hope to retire in about 4 years.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Too old to run,
    too mean to quit!
    posted Hide Post
    Have not had a debt other than monthly credit card charges in some 25 years. Own 4 homes, 53 acre of timber, 2 cars and a pickup.

Comes from marrying a very frugal German wife.

Edited to add:

Used to have a number of guns, but lost them all in that boating accident!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elk Hunter,

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
    -Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of erj_pilot
    posted Hide Post
    The only debt I have is my mortgage, insurance, and living expenses. Both cars are paid off and I pay off both credit cards in full each month. I can say I'm extremely proud of myself, as at one point in my life, I was WELL over $20k in CC debt...probably closer to $25k.

p.s. There was no real choice for my situation in the poll answers.

ETA:
    I re-fi'd the mortgage in 2015 for 15 years. So I'll have that paid off in 2030 instead of 2038 from the original 30-year mortgage. I'm going to start adding an additional principal payment next year to have it paid off even faster.

All this was done without the aid of Dave Ramsey. I just knew I had to pay off debt to enjoy life. And I say that not to be critical.....I guess some folks just need outside guidance to push them to get out of debt.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    When I first graduated, a wise man suggested that I would have a lower stress life if I:
  • give my first 10% to church / charity
  • save my next 10%
  • live off the rest

I'm giving and saving more than that and my only debt is a 30 year mortgage that I'll pay off in 10 years (11.5 years total). I bought my used truck with a cashier's check and pay cc's in full every month.

• Right there with you!

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    We owe nothing except for our CC charges this month. I could retire right now if I wanted but I still look forward to going to work on Mondays. 25 years ago we were buried in debt. That debt made our lives suck. Thank God we got smart and turned it around.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Crusty old
    curmudgeon
    Picture of Jimbo54
    posted Hide Post
    Debt free for around 12 years and retired for 6 years. I use credit cards to keep the credit rating in the excellent range but never more than a couple of hundred dollars.

We have enough cash and liquid assets to cover any major emergencies, 3 annuities, 2 IRAs and Social Security checks every month.

Life is good but money can't stop the occasional health issues.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of SFCUSARET
    posted Hide Post
    My only debt is a mortgage and utilities and insurance. Credit card exspenses are paid off way before next billing cycle. If I don't have the cash to buy the little things that add up on the Cards I don't buy it. Only use credit card when I don't want to carry the cash that is required to purchase the item or service. Since my divorce 17 year ago I have the ability to live 2 years in comfort with whats in my checking account without dipping into savings and investments if I lost my job today. That is called living within your means. I started with $2,000.00 in my name and a paid off auto when I got divorced.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of grumpy1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by mcrimm:
    Wow.....57% are debt free.

The media would like us to think we are all broke and on the edge of bankruptcy. I'm impressed.

Oh, I'm debt free as well. We retired about a year after our debt did.

Life's been good to me so far. (Joe Walsh)

I would not use this poll results to reflect most of America. Almost all my in laws are buried in debt and don't have a pot to piss in but some are always in line for the latest iPhone. Roll Eyes

A lot of those responding mention they are retirement age or near retirement age. There will be far far fewer that have no debt that are under 50 or so than those above.

I doubt those who are not doing so well financially for whatever reasons are participating much at all. Again having debt is not always a bad thing especially if one has a substantial net worth for their age.

Still good to see of members here doing well.

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Dances with Wiener Dogs
    Picture of XinTX
    posted Hide Post
    Only one car payment. Only reason we had that is because my folks lost their car in the great flood of Harvey. So the MUCH better half got a new one (not easy in the Houston area given the number of dealer lots that flooded plus the number of people who need cars) and we gave them her car. Hers was the same year as their old one, but with all the trimmings.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    That rug really tied
    the room together.
    Picture of bubbatime
    posted Hide Post
    Three cars paid off, two motorcycles paid off, a boat paid off, a $350K house that I owe $150K on, $400K in the 401K and retirement accounts, and $100K cash in the bank. 34 years old.

I plan to be debt free in my 50's for sure.

We plan on upgrading to a nicer house within two years and hopefully having that paid off within 10 years.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No ethanol!
    posted Hide Post
    Debt free, and recently very grateful for a past life of being thrifty.

Just when things began to look better for additional savings, my wife (worked part time) became ill, and passed. Next year the job is paying 20% less than 2 years ago. Many of my younger coworkers with families will have it tough. This will change things for me, but thankfully I have practice being frugal. I'll make do.

------------------
    The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    43 here only a car loan and a mortgage. Just paid one car off last week now I will double down on the reamining one to Paula it off as soon as I can. I got laid off in the dot-com burst in 2001 and it totally blindsided me and set me back a few years. Now I'm in a good spot. Wife doesn't work becuse we don't need her too. I charge everything I can on my credit card for the points/miles but haven't paid interest to them in 10+ years. I pay a little extra on the mortgage every month, basically round up the payment to the next hundred, it should shave ~5 years off of it. After I got laid off i worked 2-3 jobs and built up the biggest cash position I could. I now have a full years of take home pay in cash at Ally earning a meager 1.2%. Its sad because I know the opportunity cost of that cash sitting there but it's my mental security blanket. That's on top of the indrawn Heloc I could tap in a serious financial crisis

I work hard for my money but I also like nice things. If I see a gun I want or a watch, I will buy it. Know what grinds my gears is the wife got a ticket in 2015 and didn't take care of it with the court properly. Paid the fine but didn't connect the traffic school to the court so insurance dings me for having that. Probly costing me an extra few hundred a year in increase premium. You had 1 job! I have finally convinced her it's ok to sell the car seats and stroller baby backpack on Next Door since our youngest is now 7 so she's been raising cash that way

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of 71 TRUCK
    posted Hide Post
    I was always taught excessive debt was bad.
    Other than a home or car I always believed if you can't pay for it when you buy it either don't or save for it.
    Credit cards get paid in full at the end of the month.
    Any time my wife and I have purchased a car we always put down large down payment of at least 20% or more.
    When we purchased our home we did not buy anything extravagant. It is only 1100 sq feet and we have no children so we did not need a big house.
    Our house was paid in full by the time we were in our late 30s.
    We still owe on my wife's car but hopefully it will be paid off by the end of the year two years early. My car is paid in full and it was paid off three years early.
    I have lived this way all my life.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Membership has its privileges
    Picture of P-220
    posted Hide Post
    55 years old.

No car payments.

Mortgage of $31,000.

One child through 5 years of college (MBA), no debt. Another who is a Junior in a 5 year program.

CC paid in full every month.

The plan is to be debt free when the youngest has graduated from college.

Then...........................White 4 door Jeep Rubicon is mine!!!!! If I can get in and out of it. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oriental Redneck
    Picture of 12131
    posted Hide Post
    61% of SF are debt free. Love it. Cool

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post