SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got rear-ended last week. How far should I take it?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got rear-ended last week. How far should I take it? Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I've been through this bullshit several times.

My response every time is YOUR insured's car damaged MINE.

You have a week to have it repaired, consider yourself notified.

They tried that shit with the work van that sideswiped my BMW and they refused to watch the video. I let them know really quick that the video was noted on the police report and I bet the judge would be able to see just who was at fault.
My car was in the shop the next day after the supervisor called me asking just which shop was it going to so they could have my rental waiting.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm no lawyer, adjuster, or anyway qualified to advise you. I can tell you I was rear ended 17-18 years ago and it's never been right since. I wish I was smart enough and had the money to pursue it properly when I was fresh out of college.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'll look for a lawyer this week. Back is still hosed this morning.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were rear ended while stopped in traffic at a light. Person that his us claimed we stopped suddenly and she could not stop. First time we got a lawyer. Won't do it again without a lawyer. Don't talk to the insurance company other than notifying of claim. Go to the doctor and chiropractor. Document everything. No one is on you side. They will try to settle property loss first and separate the two claims.
Now have traffic camera. Have to get another for rear of vehicle. Cars should come with 4 way cameras with removeable memory cards.

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
You've already said things that can compromise your claim. You mentioned getting hit from behind before several times, in this same vehicle in fact.
First question from them will be; are these injuries from our client or the previous injuries?
Second; was the back of your vehicle repaired properly, were the bumper shocks and the energy absorbing material behind the bumper cover and metal bumper frame replaced so they would provide the proper protection? How do you know you vehicle was repaired back to the industry standards? Did you have a thorough medical evaluation to see if you had some hidden injuries from those earlier crashed in this vehicle?

And on, and on.

Lawyer up before you do any more unintended damage to yourself. These people are pro's at this, you are not. Right now they act like your best friend, as long as you keep talking.

I would clam up, lawyer up, and refrain from discussing any details with anyone since your statements can be used to impeach you or damage your case (yes, even facebook posts and forum posts.)

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Legal Beagle is correct. Anything you tell their insurance will be used against you. They do not play fair, they are out to save their company as much money as possible. They hire and promote liars and cheats, to swindle you as best they can.

Expect much longer term problems than you can possibly imagine. Do not even think of settling for a year or more. If you have a good chiropractor that you trust, go there. Make sure the chiro takes good notes about your pain plus concussion signs and symptoms. I am a DC and work on these cases regularly, I can email you some concussion info if you like. If you are near Portland, I can recommend someone nearby if you wish.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Laws are different in each state but in my state I think you have about ten days to get to a doctor and get it documented that you have accident injuries. I’m not sure if a chiropractor counts as a “real doctor” or not…

If the injuries are not documented by a doctor , good luck getting anything from insurance.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I'm taking ibuprofen and drinking bourbon to relax.

I'm surprised nobody's yet pointed out that's not a particularly wise combination.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
her insurance will be aware of your 30% back disability, will run you thru a ringer with xrays, mri, claiming "pre-existing injury, with the concept of "delay/deny, 'til you die."

how fast was traffic moving at time of accident??

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been there and done that.

IMO,do NOT talk to any Insurance adjuster. They are NOT your friend and will attempt to pay you mere pennies on the dollar.

Get an Attorney. Go to the Doctor ASAP after the accident for a check up and make copies of the paperwork.

The Insurance Companies will drag this out for months.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Just for point of reference.

Several years ago, my high school aged son rolled up behind someone at a railroad crossing with the gate down. As he reached the car in front of him, his foot slipped off the brake pedal and be 'bumped' the car in front of him. No damage was done to either car. And by no damage, I mean not even a scuff to the paint on either car. My son called the police and they wrote a simple accident report, then both drivers drove away. POS in the lead car sued my insurance company for my complete liability coverage (i.e. $300k). Claimed loss of quality of life and restricted mobility. My insurance carrier (Liberty Mutual) did 'zero' research or legwork into his claim. As such, I did a bit of poking around and found out the guy was a mailman at the local office who had not missed a day of work since the 'accident' occurred. Regardless, Liberty Mutual paid out the entire claim ($300k). I was furious. Later found out the guy lived in a neighborhood at the front of our community. Every night for the past couple years I've walked my two dogs past his home and with few exceptions, they've left him large piles in his front yard. Did I mention he has security cams all around his home? When the dogs are doing their thing every night I simply face the nearest camera, smile, and wave. Trust me, that's far better than my first idea in how to handle this POS.

My point in sharing this story, get what you're do, but within reason.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Liberty Mutual paid out the entire claim ($300k).
One of the Florida Personal Injury attorneys who saturate billboards and TV commercials?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Liberty Mutual paid out the entire claim ($300k).
One of the Florida Personal Injury attorneys who saturate billboards and TV commercials?
Nope, just one of the sleazy ambulance chasers from around the Pine Street area of downtown Orlando. This little fiasco sent my insurance costs through the roof given my son was on my policy at the time, and canceled him from the policy all together. I played hell finding auto coverage for an 18 year old with what the insurance company recorded as a 'major' accident given the claim amount. $300k for a bump that didn't even result in scuffed paint. I'm still hot about it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone should have front and rear dash cams in their cars. Lots of sleazeballs out there, having good video goes a long way to prove what really happened.

A friend did not have one, still has significant concussion problems after 4 years. She settled with one of the insured for half of what it should have been. A tree trimmer was doing work along the roadway without proper signage, my friend stopped for the tree company. She was then hit from behind by a <18 yo driver, who's 16 yo passenger then got out and fled. Next the tree trimmer left the scene.

My friend was not able to prove which tree trimmer truck was there without "a lot" of digging, and the <18 yo driver stated he had no passengers. So she settled for less than half of what it should of been.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
A lot of good advice already posted here so let me say this.
OKAY BUB... why don't you tell us what really happened? First of all, no Jeep has ever made it past 200k. Better start telling the truth about the rest of it. Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Everyone should have front and rear dash cams in their cars. Lots of sleazeballs out there, having good video goes a long way to prove what really happened.

A friend did not have one, still has significant concussion problems after 4 years. She settled with one of the insured for half of what it should have been. A tree trimmer was doing work along the roadway without proper signage, my friend stopped for the tree company. She was then hit from behind by a <18 yo driver, who's 16 yo passenger then got out and fled. Next the tree trimmer left the scene.

My friend was not able to prove which tree trimmer truck was there without "a lot" of digging, and the <18 yo driver stated he had no passengers. So she settled for less than half of what it should of been.

I picked up a front facing dash cam a couple of years ago and will never be without one again. I do need to add a rear facing camera.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
If you've been rear ended three times.............you are following WAY too close, just as the driver behind you!

Posts: 174 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just for point of reference.

Several years ago, my high school aged son rolled up behind someone at a railroad crossing with the gate down. As he reached the car in front of him, his foot slipped off the brake pedal and be 'bumped' the car in front of him. No damage was done to either car. And by no damage, I mean not even a scuff to the paint on either car. My son called the police and they wrote a simple accident report, then both drivers drove away. POS in the lead car sued my insurance company for my complete liability coverage (i.e. $300k). Claimed loss of quality of life and restricted mobility. My insurance carrier (Liberty Mutual) did 'zero' research or legwork into his claim. As such, I did a bit of poking around and found out the guy was a mailman at the local office who had not missed a day of work since the 'accident' occurred. Regardless, Liberty Mutual paid out the entire claim ($300k). I was furious. Later found out the guy lived in a neighborhood at the front of our community. Every night for the past couple years I've walked my two dogs past his home and with few exceptions, they've left him large piles in his front yard. Did I mention he has security cams all around his home? When the dogs are doing their thing every night I simply face the nearest camera, smile, and wave. Trust me, that's far better than my first idea in how to handle this POS.

My point in sharing this story, get what you're do, but within reason.
It seems that a car accident automatically becomes the white persons lottery.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skywag:

If you've been rear ended three times.............you are following WAY too close, just as the driver behind you!
Really? "following WAY too close?" The last three times that I have been rear-ended:
  1. Sitting still at a traffic light. Had been sitting there for maybe 30 seconds. Guy comes up behind me, looking at his cell phone, plows right into me. Cop parked in the median witnessed everything.

2. Speed limit 25 mph in the neighborhood. I stopped at a stop sign, complete stop, looked both ways, everything clear, I started to go. I was halfway through the intersection, driver came up behind me, talking to his passenger, not paying any attention, sailed right through the stop sign without slowing down, plowed right into me.

3. I live in a gated community. Large, clear signs at the gate, stating "One vehicle per gate activation."

Residents can get electronic transponders for the gate, but some people are just too cheap to shell out $35 for the transponder, so they try to tailgate and follow people through the gate. One of these morons was in such a hurry to do this that he ignored the stop sign and plowed into me.
In all three of these incidents, there was nobody in front of me. How could I have been "following WAY to close?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When dealing with their insurance company, they will act like they are on your side, they can be very friendly. However, realize this is what they are truly like:

Kyle Reese: Listen. Understand. That Terminator is out there. It can't be reasoned with, it can't be bargained with. It doesn't feel pity of remorse or fear and it absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you are dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvDx0zr2iMw

-c1steve