SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Army snipers played hide-and-seek to test new camouflaged ghillie suits for next-level combat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Army snipers played hide-and-seek to test new camouflaged ghillie suits for next-level combat Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Acoustic testing??? Confused

You don't want the suit to make too much noise when you crawl or move. Sound travels farther then we realize.

Posts: 4586 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t a thermal scope pick them out?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
"annnd...stop. Sniper at your feet."
"Well, what do you got?"

"He had lunch here, sir. Quarter-pounder...with cheese." <shakes head>

Ha! Good flick.

I haven't seen the flick. I've got the book. Just added the flick to my list on Amazon Prime...

Minor thread drift: "Clear and Present Danger," right? Great book, so-so movie.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
We played paintball at a work picnic once. I came with my turkey hunting outfit and layed in a roadside ditch with the pistol laying on my lap pointed at my feet (laying on my back). Everyone had on goggles which helped mess up their vision.

As the other team came down the road to hunt for my team I just started hitting them one two three. They really never saw me I don't think - just heard the noise of the airgun firing...

Good camo can devastate an opponent

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that camo is kinda fad driven these days, both by our military and the hunting crowd. I have recently began to replace my camo with a German pattern: Flectarn.
It is pretty effective for the terrain here in the Yoop. But I have also been considering adopting just plain earth brown. Seems effective for the local Cottontails and Deer. The Ghillie Suit can be very adaptable, but has to be a PITA to pack around when you are not wearing it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
It seems to me that camo is kinda fad driven these days, both by our military and the hunting crowd. I have recently began to replace my camo with a German pattern: Flectarn.

To a degree, yes. However, with the increased reach, frequency and intensity of modern media one would have the impression that camouflage is a fashionable trend. The fashion world will always tap into camo, that will go up and down as trends do. The advent of new printing/dying processes in the textile industry, along with focused research on human eye perception to shapes/colors led the military to adopt new camo patterns. Which, as we all know resulted in the various military service chiefs showing off their true colors by being completely disinterested on the subject and prone to marketing/me-too lines of reasoning. While the USMC got it right, the Army went with consensus based decision making, resulting in a pattern that didn't work in most regions, never mind it's name said universal. Meanwhile both the Navy and USAF decided they needed to get onboard with their own laughable patterns. During the entire decision making and implementation process, SECDEF could've easily stepped-in, provided some guidance, maybe some adult language, to insure that budgets and reasoning didn't get out of hand, nope. More .gov waste.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
Wouldn’t a thermal scope pick them out?

That is probably why the suits they replaced were heavy and hot. Not sure if there is some new whizz-bang technology for "quietly" radiating heat, but one of the ways to keep it from showing is holding the heat in.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post