SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    male dogs when they are inside
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

male dogs when they are inside Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Accidents happen but male dogs should not be marking their territory inside.

Failure of training or not letting the dog out enough.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
The OP mentioned Shelly pet sits twice a month. Maybe Shelly is the trigger for that dog to mark ... if it doesn't do so otherwise. My female dog doesn't do well in doggie daycare or boarding. So the last time I was out of town for an extended period ... several years ago ... I hired a professional dog sitter to come by briefly once a day for my female dog. My male Pit Bull I took with me. And my female dog would submissive pee when the sitter came into the house and near the dog. My dog wasn't familiar with that new human in the house and especially with me not being there.

Posts: 4698 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Males, both neutered and unneutered, will mark territory with a leg lift...but it can be trained away. And a properly trained dog will never do it in the house.

Sounds like a handler issue, not a dog issue.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Boys always hold a little extra in reserve, just in case, so make sure he doesn’t pee only once outside, 2-3 times is better. Marking isn’t uncommon at all, and small breeds seem more likely, probably because you don’t notice it as quick as you would with a bigger breed. If someone has marked in my house before, all bets are off, so make sure her home is enzymatically cleaned and the pup should have no reference point to mark on top of. It can be anxiety that starts the marking, then the scent is the trigger.
Good luck.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I worked with a young woman who wanted to rent a house from us. It started off with her telling me she had one cat. Then a week or so later, it was a cat and a small housebroken dog. Then by the time she came over to sign the lease, it was the original cat, and the dog, plus another cat that was elderly and nearly blind. So naturally it couldn’t go outside at all. She brought the male dog with her when she came over to sign the lease, to see if he “liked the house”. The first thing the little bastard did was lift his leg and piss on the corner of the kitchen cabinet. I said “ I’m not renting to you-you said he was housebroken”.

She said “he’s just marking his territory”. I replied “that may be true, but the problem is, he’s using his urine to do it”. She got kind of mad at me and never spoke to me again, which made for a pretty frosty work environment until she moved away to go to grad school.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I worked with a young woman who wanted to rent a house from us. It started off with her telling me she had one cat. Then a week or so later, it was a cat and a small housebroken dog. Then by the time she came over to sign the lease, it was the original cat, and the dog, plus another cat that was elderly and nearly blind. So naturally it couldn’t go outside at all. She brought the male dog with her when she came over to sign the lease, to see if he “liked the house”. The first thing the little bastard did was lift his leg and piss on the corner of the kitchen cabinet. I said “ I’m not renting to you-you said he was housebroken”.

She said “he’s just marking his territory”. I replied “that may be true, but the problem is, he’s using his urine to do it”. She got kind of mad at me and never spoke to me again, which made for a pretty frosty work environment until she moved away to go to grad school.

Wow. What part of no peeing in the house didn’t she understand?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Outside of a few accidents, either while very young and just starting housebreaking training or when very old and physically unable to hold their bladder 100%, none of my dogs have ever peed in the house.

So no, it is certainly not true that all male dogs mark inside the house.

It's a training issue. Shelly's son did not correctly train his dog.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for taking the time,
its appreciated

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post