SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    male dogs when they are inside
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

male dogs when they are inside Login/Join 
posted
Shelly dog sits for her son twice a month,

the dog is only 9 1/2 pounds big.

Shelly almost never curses, but when buster lifts his leg in the house , shelly "goes off".

Shelly claims that all male dogs do this , and that they are marking their territory.

I say ,that if they did not have any pee i.e.
she took the dog out every two hours,
that he would not lift his leg in the house.

So? whats the story ?

are either of us any kind of correct?

do all male dogs piss in the house ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54628 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Males and females both mark territories, but from experience and from word of mouth, males seem to do it less when they are neutered.

Personally, I have had only female dogs because I don’t like dealing with the problems associated with male junk.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
We have a 4 year old Yorkiepoo. He is our first male dog. He was a little harder to housebreak than any females we have had. Don’t know if it was because he was male, or just stubborn, but he hasn’t had an accident in the house for a long long time.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have always had male dogs, usually two or three at a time for most of the past 30 years of our marriage . After puppy crate training/house breaking not one has lifted his leg in our house to mark territory. Inside accident have always been in the last stages of their lives due to illness. Our current pack goes out at 6 am, 10:30 am, 3:00 pm and last call is around 8. Even visiting friends and family that have dogs they behave themselves. We’ve had both large and small breeds.

Posts: 289 | Location: North Central Florida | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is she dog sitting at her house or the sons? If its not a normal setting the dog may be marking territory.

I also notice with my female dog while on a walk she will squat to pee and lift her leg if she is marking a spot.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They do need to go out often enough that peeing isn't an emergency but they should never pee inside once house trained.

Posts: 9502 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an unaltered male dog (mastiff) for 12 years and he never went in the house.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
They do need to go out often enough that peeing isn't an emergency but they should never pee inside once house trained.

This.
The only time my dog will pee in the house is if he is left alone for too long and he has no choice.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24103 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

No.

Way to train them
(1) Dog wakes up - take outside
(2) Dog eats / drinks - take outside
(3) Dog has been up awhile - take outside

The only time our dogs have peed in the house is when we haven't done 1-3 above as a puppy. Now even my 12 week old pup runs for the doggie door or whines when he has to go.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
neutered male at shelly's home

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54628 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I have had male dogs, all neutered. All house trained. Peeing in the house is not normal for a dog like mine. However it isn’t unheard of. Usually it would happen when we were out for too long and they were alone.

As far as being out of pee, they will keep trying even when empty to mark territory. But it shouldn’t be marking in the house.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Nope. I've had three male dogs over many years and once potty trained, they never wet in my home or anyone else's. Your dog has a behavioral issue to address.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
When my boy was a young pup and not yet house trained he did a few times.

Key:
Wake up = outside
eat = outside
drink = outside
been a few hours = outside

like said above and then he will go to the door and let you know Smile

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think males do have that tendency, but they can be trained out of it, for the most part.

So, if they pee inside, they aren't as well trained as they could be. But neutering helps make it easier.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marking is quite different than peeing. We have 2 intact males and neither mark in the house but when outside on a walk, stand back.

Here's a link to some insightful information with explanations and hints to finding a solution:

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Do...Marking-or-Urinating

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, if they pee inside, they aren't as well trained as they could be. But neutering helps make it easier.

My un-neutered male Beagle was bought home from a show breeder at 11 weeks. He pooped once that evening, I showed him the pet door to the fenced in courtyard & that was the last time. The first few days he urinated 3 times inside & that was it. When he got sick as puppies do, I took him out & he started going outside himself when he was sick. He is the only male dog I have ever had in the house.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
No.

The only time I can remember my male dog peeing in the house was as a puppy and then near the end.

Does the dog do this in front of people? When he does it has it been a while since he was taken outside. Does he not show you in some way he needs to go out.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
You have to watch him like a hawk and be prepared to act immediately. It is normal behavior and he does not know it is bad behavior, you have to educate him that it is unacceptable. Put him in a crate for a while when he arrives, then let him out and immediately take him outside. High praise and treat when he goes pee outside. If he starts to lift his leg inside, tell him a stern no, and immediately put him outside. When he pees outside, praise him up and give a treat. Be consistent, he will get the idea quickly. If he is going to be left unsupervised, back in the crate. To let him out, repeat step one. If he is a slow learner, just leave him in the crate and only let him out to go pee. You will be surprised at how quickly he will catch on.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have has several male dogs, no they do not piss in the house.

Only one time my dog started to have accidents, but that was an UTI and he couldn't help it.

No way that should be tolerated

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
It may make a difference with an outside dog who is occasionally inside, but my experience is once a dog is bullet proof house broken (maybe 3-4 months old or less), they won't mark inside when they mature. I'm sure there may be exceptions. My medium size dogs, a male and a female are house dogs and don't mark. I was extremely diligent with them as puppies to house break them. I'm retired, with them 24x7 and it was my mission to housebreak them correctly. I've sometimes said I live in a 2 bedroom 1 bath kennel LOL. It's theirs as much as mine and they don't mess where they live.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post