SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    R.I.P. SSG Michael J. Mantenuto - (Former Hollywood Actor who earned Green Beret)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

R.I.P. SSG Michael J. Mantenuto - (Former Hollywood Actor who earned Green Beret) Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Cripes, I remember this dude from the movie Miracle (about the 80' Olympics). I had no idea he had joined the Army, much less earned a Green Beret.

Sadder still to read that it was suicide -

"Eventually Michael Mantenuto quit acting and joined the Special Forces unit of the Army, where he was known as SSG Michael J. Mantenuto, 18E, HHC, 1st SFG(A). He leaves behind his wife, Katie Vienneau and his two children, Ava and Leo. Our hearts go out to his immediate family and his parents as they deal with a tragic loss. "

Col. Guillaume Beaurpere, commander of Mantenuto’s US Army’s First Special Forces Group, announced his death, WCVB said.

“Those of you that knew Mike will remember him for his passionate love for his family and his commitment to the health of the force,” he said in a release.

http://www.startribune.com/mic...ies-at-35/420629313/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I know that there are those here who disagree, however...

I believe that, excepting extreme medical conditions perhaps, taking one's own life is always the wrong decision. Wrong for the victim, and wrong for those left behind.

May he go with God and find peace.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I simply cannot fathom the darkness that compels one to choose suicide as a best possible outcome.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I understand Staff Sergeant. God speed.

My prayers for your family.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
I simply cannot fathom the darkness that compels one to choose suicide as a best possible outcome.

I don't mean this in a bad way, but nope...you can't.

It is indeed a dark place that only those in the throes of depression can appreciate.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I know several suicides personally, including an ex girlfriend

as someone told me about suicide is the person gets to a point where it a solution because it means it won't get worse, but won't ever get better

and for some with no hope, there is no better

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:

I don't mean this in a bad way, but nope...you can't.

It is indeed a dark place that only those in the throes of depression can appreciate.

Amen brother. I once was in that place and it's literally a hell on earth. By the grace of God I came out of it, but so many do not.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Very sad. Thank you for your service young man.
May you RIP and may God keep your family. Amen. orc

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post