SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man loads AR-15 inside pawn shop, starts shooting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man loads AR-15 inside pawn shop, starts shooting Login/Join 
Picture of callibird
posted
Man loads AR-15 inside pawn shop

Dude looks like Steven Tyler's love child....

BERKELEY COUNTY, S.C. (WCSC) —
A man accused of opening fire at a Ladson pawn shop with an AR-15 rifle told a judge that his actions "were in poor choice."

Gregory Franklin Westfall, of Boise, Idaho, faces two counts of attempted murder, armed robbery and possession of a weapon during a violent crime in connection to the Tuesday afternoon shooting at Big Buck's Pawn Shop on 113 College Park Road.

He was denied bond Wednesday night.

"My actions were poor in choice," Westfall said in court. "However, due to the circumstances of my life and the abuse that has been struck against me, I do rise in protest and I rise in violent protest."

An affidavit states that Westfall planned the shooting with "the intent of causing social change."

Authorities also released surveillance video of the incident that shows the shooting at the pawn shop where Westfall entered the store and asked to see an AR-15 rifle.

According to officials with the sheriff's office, while inspecting the rifle, the suspect took out a loaded magazine that he had on him and inserted it into the rifle.

"He then began to shoot into the store and at two of the employees inside of the store," deputies said.

The owner of the pawn shop said the suspect fired inside and outside the business, but thankfully, no one was injured.

A report said a store employee returned fire from his own firearm as Westfall ran out of the store.

Neighbors nearby said they heard at least 15 shots during the incident.

"I heard a bunch of gun shots," Kevin Gause who lives across the street said. "It seemed like it was World War II going on out here."

The video shows one of the employees looking out of the window and jumping to the floor after shots hit one of the store's windows.

Responding deputies said they eventually located Westfall in a wooded area behind the store.

"Then, all of the sudden, we see some guy come running through," Gause said. "I saw the police and they tackled him over by the trailer, put him in handcuffs and put him in the car."

According to deputies, Westfall was still carrying the AR-15 and was wearing ballistic armor when deputies found him.

Sheriff Lewis said citizens did a good job of relaying information to dispatch crews regarding Westfall's description and where he was running to, which he said helped deputies find him.

When detectives interviewed Westfall, he made several statements regarding 9/11 and that "the Russians" were sending him messages, according to a police report.

"He did make some statements to our detectives as he was being interviewed initially that the Russians had planted something inside of his head and he was trying to avenge that," Sheriff Lewis said.

Westfall left behind his Dodge Ram pickup truck and a book bag, investigators said.

The Charleston County Bomb Squad was called to assist with clearing the contents of the truck and book-bag.

"Due to the nature of the incident and the things that Westfall was saying during the interview, the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives was called in for assistance, as well as the Federal Bureau of Investigations," BCSO officials said.

The Sheriff's office officials said Westfall had recently just moved to the Charleston area.

Westfall remains in custody at the Hill Finklea Detention Center.

There were no injuries reported.

"We are thankful that nobody was injured during this incident," Sheriff Lewis said. "Thankfully, citizens provided 911 with good information as the suspect tried to escape the area on foot. The assistance of our local and federal partners is also appreciated. We called them for some of their technical expertise and resources."

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I worked at a pawn shop as a jewelry buyer in high school. We had loaded firearms everywhere. The owner was paranoid after having been a massive firefight inside one of his other stores.

Dangerous idiots lurk everywhere, and you never know when one of them will find you.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15695 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by callibird:
Man loads AR-15 inside pawn shop

Dude looks like Steven Tyler's love child....

BERKELEY COUNTY, S.C. (WCSC) —
A man accused of opening fire at a Ladson pawn shop with an AR-15 rifle told a judge that his actions "were in poor choice."

Gregory Franklin Westfall, of Boise, Idaho, faces two counts of attempted murder, armed robbery and possession of a weapon during a violent crime in connection to the Tuesday afternoon shooting at Big Buck's Pawn Shop on 113 College Park Road.

He was denied bond Wednesday night.

"My actions were poor in choice," Westfall said in court. "However, due to the circumstances of my life and the abuse that has been struck against me, I do rise in protest and I rise in violent protest."

An affidavit states that Westfall planned the shooting with "the intent of causing social change."

Authorities also released surveillance video of the incident that shows the shooting at the pawn shop where Westfall entered the store and asked to see an AR-15 rifle.

According to officials with the sheriff's office, while inspecting the rifle, the suspect took out a loaded magazine that he had on him and inserted it into the rifle.

"He then began to shoot into the store and at two of the employees inside of the store," deputies said.

The owner of the pawn shop said the suspect fired inside and outside the business, but thankfully, no one was injured.

A report said a store employee returned fire from his own firearm as Westfall ran out of the store.

Neighbors nearby said they heard at least 15 shots during the incident.

"I heard a bunch of gun shots," Kevin Gause who lives across the street said. "It seemed like it was World War II going on out here."

The video shows one of the employees looking out of the window and jumping to the floor after shots hit one of the store's windows.

Responding deputies said they eventually located Westfall in a wooded area behind the store.

"Then, all of the sudden, we see some guy come running through," Gause said. "I saw the police and they tackled him over by the trailer, put him in handcuffs and put him in the car."

According to deputies, Westfall was still carrying the AR-15 and was wearing ballistic armor when deputies found him.

Sheriff Lewis said citizens did a good job of relaying information to dispatch crews regarding Westfall's description and where he was running to, which he said helped deputies find him.

When detectives interviewed Westfall, he made several statements regarding 9/11 and that "the Russians" were sending him messages, according to a police report.

"He did make some statements to our detectives as he was being interviewed initially that the Russians had planted something inside of his head and he was trying to avenge that," Sheriff Lewis said.

Westfall left behind his Dodge Ram pickup truck and a book bag, investigators said.

The Charleston County Bomb Squad was called to assist with clearing the contents of the truck and book-bag.

"Due to the nature of the incident and the things that Westfall was saying during the interview, the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives was called in for assistance, as well as the Federal Bureau of Investigations," BCSO officials said.

The Sheriff's office officials said Westfall had recently just moved to the Charleston area.

Westfall remains in custody at the Hill Finklea Detention Center.

There were no injuries reported.

"We are thankful that nobody was injured during this incident," Sheriff Lewis said. "Thankfully, citizens provided 911 with good information as the suspect tried to escape the area on foot. The assistance of our local and federal partners is also appreciated. We called them for some of their technical expertise and resources."

He's a very lucky man not to have had his sorry head blown off with all them Roossian thoughts still inside.

tac

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Certainly premeditated.

And a boatload of crazy.

https://www.facebook.com/searc...yword/stories-public

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Certainly premeditated.

And a boatload of crazy.

https://www.facebook.com/searc...yword/stories-public
Linky no worky.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
A poor choice is being lactose intolerant and having a big milk shake before starting a 5 hour trip with a car load of people.

What this guy did was criminal, pure and simple

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why did they edit out him putting the loaded Mag in the gun in the video? At ~:40 mark. Seems funny to me that they would delete that relevant bit.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start at 2:20 mark. I was not impressed with how the employees handled the situation from looking at the video by itself.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Damn. I hate it when the Russians put things in my head. Bastards don't even pay rent.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
It would be simple to remove firing pin put in envelope with serial number and store elsewhere. Give firing pin to buyer without instructions upon sale. If buyer can field strip he can shoot his new firearm.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would be simple to remove firing pin put in envelope with serial number and store elsewhere. Give firing pin to buyer without instructions upon sale. If buyer can field strip he can shoot his new firearm.

I have never been to a gun shop, pawn shop, gun show, or any other gun retailers who disable what they display.

What happened in that video is a thought I have had before. What if somebody comes in to look at a gun, loads it themselves, and then uses it to rob you?

There's not a whole lot you could do to prevent it really.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15695 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

"Remember the part about your right to remain silent? START!"

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

I have never been to a gun shop, pawn shop, gun show, or any other gun retailers who disable what they display.

What happened in that video is a thought I have had before. What if somebody comes in to look at a gun, loads it themselves, and then uses it to rob you?

What if somebody comes in with a concealed weapon, and uses it to rob you?

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

Most pawn shops do not have gunsmith on staff nor do employees have the expertise to do that kind of work.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:

They pull out a loaded mag, and you pull your sidearm. If they insert the mag then you shoot to stop the threat. Running a zip tie through the action certainly increases the store's chance of not being robbed with their own guns.

Every pawn shop and gun store (excluding big box stores) I've been to the employees are OC'ing. My buddy worked at one, and every employee OC'd (e.g. my buddy had a 1911) and had a long gun on a rack behind the counter (e.g. my buddy had a FAL).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
They pull out a loaded mag, and you pull your sidearm. If they insert the mag then you shoot to stop the threat.

That's almost what happened here, but we see the difference between thinking about it and actually doing it. The guy at the pawn shop had plenty of opportunity but waited too long.

The guy that I knew that owned a shop was in a massive firefight with several gang members who stopped by to take some more guns. Several people who were there and could have shot back froze in fear. He was one of the only ones returning fire. Luckily nobody there that day was injured. Certainly changed the way he did business, and I suspect the guy in this story will also change the way he does his.

www.zykansafe.com

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
They pull out a loaded mag, and you pull your sidearm. If they insert the mag then you shoot to stop the threat.

That's almost what happened here, but we see the difference between thinking about it and actually doing it. The guy at the pawn shop had plenty of opportunity but waited too long.
Agreed that the pawn shop employee certainly had plenty of opportunity to draw.

30 seconds in between the time:
  • he pulls something out of the chamber and makes first reach for his mag
  • he inserts the mag

He should've been receiving instructions looking down the barrel of a gun w/ a chambered round during the above 30 seconds not getting finger waiving. The clerk was not outgunned at this point.

Another 1 min 10 seconds between:
  • he inserts the mag
  • he chambers the round

He should've been ventilated during this 1 min 10 seconds.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Don't Panic
    Picture of joel9507
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by callibird:

Or, maybe, the inside of his head got screwed up on its own.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Agreed that the pawn shop employee certainly had plenty of opportunity to draw.

30 seconds in between the time:
    he pulls something out of the chamber and makes first reach for his mag
    he inserts the mag

He should've been receiving instructions looking down the barrel of a gun w/ a chambered round during the above 30 seconds not getting finger waiving. The clerk was not outgunned at this point.

Another 1 min 10 seconds between:
    he inserts the mag
    he chambers the round

He should've been ventilated during this 1 min 10 seconds.

To me this was a failure to have a plan on how to deal with this situation. I agree with all of the above. The old guy opening up the front door after the gunman ran out was a poor choice. AR 15 vs handgun. I am sure there were better choices. I saw no one taking advantage of cover or concealment either. This could have turned out very badly.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
    posted Hide Post
    [QUOTE]

I have never been to a gun shop, pawn shop, gun show, or any other gun retailers who disable what they [quote]

Sig Pro Shop does for long guns.

Richard Scalzo
    Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post