SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You might you live in a small town if... Yesterdays experience and more.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You might you live in a small town if... Yesterdays experience and more. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
We’re very metropolitan here in Jerkwater. Got a McDonalds AND a Sonic. And even a Subway. A flashing yellow light and two flashing red lights.
Yeah, but do you have a Walmart SuperCenter?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Wickenburg is a relatively small town (~6,000). Folks are very friendly, so much so that you can be stuck in line at the store while the person checking out "chats" with the cashier, long after the transaction is complete. You learn patience. Driving, too, patience is required. It is a kind of nice tempo.

Yes, patience is required when driving a motorcycle around that stupid traffic circle in Wickenburg?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
We’re very metropolitan here in Jerkwater. Got a McDonalds AND a Sonic. And even a Subway. A flashing yellow light and two flashing red lights.
Yeah, but do you have a Walmart SuperCenter?

There’s a Walmart nearly adequate Center only 75 miles away. Which makes it nice and everything.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
Grew up in a small town (population was around 725)
The school had grades 1 & 2 in the same classroom taught by the same teacher. Same with grades 3 & 4. Grades 5 thru 9 in their own class rooms. Grade 10-12 the students changed class rooms depending on the subject being taught.
My graduating class was the largest in the schools history 19.

No red lights
Everyone knew everyone on a first name basis
No Buses, Taxi cabs, or mass media
3 churches, 4 bars, and 1 bar with 4 rooms to let out on the second floor
Police on duty from about 7am till 11pm
Most people left their homes door unlocked
Keys were left in most car overnight

It great growing up in small town USA

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Our town was really small. It was located right between "Slow Down" and "Litter Barrel."

We had two gas stations, but they shared the same pump.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

Would you mind saying what town this is? I noticed you’re listed as being from middle TN, and that sounds a lot like McEwen, my family’s home place. If you don’t want to say publicly, would you shoot me an email?

Bell Buckle

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

Would you mind saying what town this is? I noticed you’re listed as being from middle TN, and that sounds a lot like McEwen, my family’s home place. If you don’t want to say publicly, would you shoot me an email?

Bell Buckle

I know exactly where that is; not far from me either! Very nice little place for sure! Oh, and MUCH nicer than McEwen is... Wink

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4577 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Yes, patience is required when driving a motorcycle around that stupid traffic circle in Wickenburg?

The two circles in town (along the river) were built horribly, banked the wrong way. Tractor trailers are overturning there frequently. Of course they are trying to take it a bit fast.

The newest circle on US 93 at Wickeburg Ranch, north of town (the one with the world record size spurs in the middle island), was done correctly and should be easy for a motorcyclist.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in a small town, 380 pop., a Post Office that has been here since 1880's, two churches one of which is in the old Court House, that served as the court house, school and served as church on Sunday as a Baptist, Methodist, and Catholic Church on rotating Sunday's, now it's only the Methodist Church. The school was split off in the 1890's and the single room building was in service as the school until 1968!

No stop lights, only stop signs. One restaurant that also sells furniture and knickknacks.

Three cemeteries, one of which has a soldier from the Revolutionary War, the Civil War and World War I.

In the founding of the county it was the county seat, until the rail road tracks was put in in the next big town in the late 1800's.

My neighbor is 80 years old, was born in a house 300 yards from where he lives now, went to and graduated from the one room school building, and has never lived anywhere else in his life!

Elijah Craig settled here when it was "the Frontier", Alex De tocqueville came through here on his way to Louisville when he was writing "Democracy in America".

A Kentucky Derby winning horse from the 1890's was bread just down the road. An Olympic medal winner is from here, we have a couple of writers and artist here of note.

The court house was part of the underground railroad. Back then there was over 3000 in population!

Unfortunately alot of history is lost of my now sleepy little town.

I don't want to live any place else.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I grew up in a small farming community with a population of about 9000 at the time. My mom and dad owned a small tavern. Our house was attached to it. Great and interesting way to grow up.
I remember we had a popcorn wagon parked on main street that was open until about 7 at night. You could get a bag of hot buttered popcorn for a dime or hot roasted peanuts for a nickel.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Early in my life we lived in a small town in North Dakota a few miles from the Canadian border. I would go to day care in the morning and sometimes the husband of the woman who ran the day care would let me ride along with him while he was doing his job – either the garbage or the police pickup (he was both the garbage man and the town policeman). Big Grin

Years later when I would go back and visit my grandparents my name (and usually the names of others I brought with me) would appear in the local gossip column of the county paper. Didn’t take long for me to make sure I visited BOTH sets of grandparents in the area when I was there.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post