SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You might you live in a small town if... Yesterdays experience and more.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You might you live in a small town if... Yesterdays experience and more. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Town is small, but it is incorpated with a pop of ~450.

1) I took two grandkids to the local park in town yesterday. As I walked and the kids rode their bikes around the trail I noticed two high school age girls sitting on a bench, they got up and started jogging around the trail. By the time we got to the bench they were almost out of sight and I noticed they had left an iPhone on the bench. I thought I would do them a favor so I sent a grandkid on their bike to catch up and tell them they had left their phone. Kid comes back and told me they did it on purpose, were timing their run and didn't want to carry the phone! Pretty brave even for here I thought.

A couple more observations...

2) No red light.

3) The entire town got together and posed for a town photo! It's on the wall at city hall.

4) The 24hr convenience store closes about dark, but they do leave the gas pumps on.

So anyone else got a true life, You might you live in a small town story?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
My hometown of Belews Creek has a post office established in 1831 and that's it.

Belews Creek's Zip Code Tabulation Area (Zip Code 27009) has a population of about 2,647 as of the 2010 census. The population is 50.6% male and 49.4% female. About 91% of the population is white, 7.4% African-American, 1.1% Hispanic, and 0.3% of other races. 0.7% of people are two or more races.

The median household income is $50,345 with 2.6% of the population living below the poverty line.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
The Christmas Parade goes around almost the whole town (population about 650). Most of the kids graduating high school with my kids went K-12 together. Just about every household has a gun(s).

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The city I live in is considerably larger than yours at 28k. But I like it.

A few years ago I went into a local restaurant that serves mainly hot sandwiches. He makes them to order but around lunch he cooks a bunch of his more popular items and puts them on a rack so people can grab a couple and go without waiting. I grabbed a burger and fries and went to pay with card and found out it was cash only. I went to put the burger back and he told me not to worry, just eat it and come back whenever I had cash and pay him. I went right to the ATM and came back and I have been a customer ever since.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
My hometown of Belews Creek has a post office established in 1831 and that's it.

Belews Creek's Zip Code Tabulation Area (Zip Code 27009) has a population of about 2,647 as of the 2010 census. The population is 50.6% male and 49.4% female. About 91% of the population is white, 7.4% African-American, 1.1% Hispanic, and 0.3% of other races. 0.7% of people are two or more races.

The median household income is $50,345 with 2.6% of the population living below the poverty line.

and most of the population was conceived at the Bel-Air drive in in Walkertown

Posts: 914 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The town where my parents grew up is nice and small. County population is 8,000, city is 1,500. One of my grandmothers is one of 14 children and the other is one of 13. Needless to say I am related to a large number of people in town. There are two red lights in town and everybody in the county's phone number begins with the same 3 digits.

A couple of years ago my wife and I were at our family lakehouse there and ran out to get some lunch at a bbq joint close to the house, but out from the city. It was Sunday and we were taking a small vacation and did not go to church. Well, bbq was closed so we had to head into town. My wife asks, "do you think we'll see anybody we know?" I just laughed and said, yes I 'spect so. We walked into the Home Cafe which seats about 40 and knew 35 of the people in there and then proceeded to know the 10 or so people that changed over while we ate.

I don't want to live there but I do spend a good bit of time there and love having family/friends all around me.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I would live in a town like that, not sure my wife would like it. I just want quiet and good neighbors.

Posts: 13049 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two cool things about Marquette:
1- They shut off the traffic signals late at night. I love that!
2- On July 4th, one of the events before the fireworks is the Boat Parade. People decorate their boats in red, white and blue and then parade around the harbor. Its a hoot!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
There are more cows than people, 370, in my town.
We have a post office, bank, restaurant, mom and pop general store, gas/feed store and an insurance office.
Sidewalks are officially rolled up at 9:30pm.
Great place to live and raise a family.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
The town I lived in had 300 students in the school....300 students, kindergarten to 12th grade.

That school has since closed.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
We are zoned for goats and chickens.

Posts: 10828 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Town in Oklahoma where I hunt had two stop signs. While playing poker and drinking 3.2 beer, the mayor wanted my opinion, as an outsider, if I felt a stoplight was warranted.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I grew up just outside a town, which didn't have a stop light only a flashing yellow...not enough cross traffic to warrant a stop light. At one point, it was one of the poorest counties in WA state but also one of the prettiest ones. If I could get a job there, I'd move back in a heart beat!!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
If a person of moderate strength can’t rip the phone book in two, the town is too big.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My mom grew up in a very small community--I don't think it could be called a "town". It's original name was "Red Stripe" but back in the 1940s (I think) it changed its name to "Pleasant Grove". I don't know how many called it home, but couldn't have been more than a few hundred, mostly scattered on nearby farms. There were 2 general stores, one containing a post office (and owned by my uncle--his wife was the Postmaster and my mom's oldest sister). Both stores had gas pumps, and my uncle's had a minimal garage facility. A small 2-room elementary school was there, and a cemetery (but the church was in the next community 2 miles down the road). In the 1950s a fire station was added and in the 1960s the Post Office was moved out of the store into a new building across the road. The state highway 14 ran through the community, and the 2 main feeder roads did have stop signs for it--back in the 1940s all of the roads were gravel, but SH-14 was paved in the 1960s. I think there were only 3 main surnames in the place, 2 of which were in my family. Needless to say, I was kin to about 75% of all the inhabitants.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived in a small town in Pennsylvania where the population never changed.

When a baby was born, a man left town.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
2- On July 4th, one of the events before the fireworks is the Boat Parade. People decorate their boats in red, white and blue and then parade around the harbor. Its a hoot!

We do that in Oxford,GA except the parade runs through town and we pull the boat behind the truck.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Oh yea, good one to add to mine. Before the 4th fireworks they read the Delectation of Independence. The guy doing the reading was a tad lit from celebrating and it took a while but he got through it!

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I lived in a small town in Pennsylvania where the population never changed.

When a baby was born, a man left town.

LOL! I see you left... Big Grin

posted Hide Post
We live about 7 miles away from a town of about 200. Out where we live some kids ride their bikes to the bus stops and then leave their bikes unlocked by the side of the roads, riding them back home at the end of the day.

Where I work we had a couple of high school boys who found $100 in twenties in the parking lot and another boy who found a wallet with $50.00 inside. The kids turned the money in. The pair of boys said that it was not their money and the kid who found the wallet told me how bad he'd feel if he lost that much money.

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post