SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do we have any gas/propane fireplace insert experts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do we have any gas/propane fireplace insert experts? Login/Join 
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted
I recently purchased a log cabin in SE Tennessee. It has a propane fired insert in the previously log burning fireplace. I do not know the manufacturer and do not have any operating manuals exept for the remote control which I downloaded off the internet. I believe it is what is called a vented unit as there are vents put through the side of the chimney.

I am not there yet but, will be soon. I am looking for info on operation. I know it would be difficult to give advice with the scant details I have provided but, in the research I have done again, on the internet, I have seen way too much of differing opinions on operation.

I don’t want to wake up dead after a nap from improper operation so, am looking for at least some general info on how to set the damper etc. As it is currently the only heat source (soon to be corrected) I will need to use it for heating. I can try to provide more details in a couple of weeks when I get there.

Thanks for any help.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a start purchase and install near where you sleep and in the hall leading to same a couple of co detectors.

My primary residence has a a unvented ng gas log set that we use to ward off the chill. I've got mine burning apparently as clean as it is designed to. No alarms and only smells at start of heating season when we fire it up and accumulated dust burns off.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without a make and model, it would be hard to give you an idea on its operation.

Hopefully its a vented designed unit and is properly vented. As using a ventless heater for primary heat is a major concern.

I would recommend you have a service tech come out and verify its operation and measure the CO levels to insure your safety.

I would not like to come here and read; "you woke up from being dead after a nap". Confused

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The 1st order of business is have a clear exhaust pipe/venting.

It sounds like it is vented up the chimney? If unsure of the quality of venting, don’t use it. Soon thereafter it may be time to call in a pro. The age and condition of the unit factors in.

I’m more of a firewood guy. I’m sure many like the no mess & fuss with a gas fireplace. If for some reason it fails inspection, you could go back to wood.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I can help if I have more information... you can direct email me at: themerrysweep@bellsouth.net

If there is an actual vent out the side of what you call the chimney then you probably have a direct vent unit. But you said vents and that is different and might be outside air intakes for the original fireplace. Private email me the address and there might still be pictures up on the web for when it was for sale.

Hopefully what you have is a vented unit either with a single vent (B-vented) or direct vent which is a sealed unit that also pulls its combustion air from the outside. If you open up the cover along the bottom of the unit (should just flip down) there should be a metal plate hooked to a chain that has all the information on the unit on it.
Most vented gas units will not function if they are not venting correctly. Un-vented has to be one of the dumbest things out there and the only reason the manufactures still make them is they are making more money than they are paying out in law suits.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies all.

Called propane supplier and they have a service guy I will have come out.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Would it make sense to also ask the local fire department to look at or inspect the installation and advise?

Posts: 1986 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Do you have experience with gas fireplaces?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The best person to look at something like this is a CSIA certified chimney sweep. You can find one at:
CSIA.org

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post