SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Go Pro Advice Needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Go Pro Advice Needed Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted
I am getting ready for my annual pheasant hunting trip in SD. I really want to get some action shots of the shooting and especially of the dogs working. There never seems to be an opportunity to get good photos while carrying the shotgun and working the dog. I am thinking a headgear mounted Go Pro but I don't have any experience with these cameras. Any advice from experienced users would be appreciated.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I use my gopro on my head when I'm deer hunting. Works just fine. Be careful about looking into the sun, the camera struggles with the lighting changes.

I want to get a scope mount and have it mounted on my rifle but haven't gotten around to it.

And lastly, if it's too cold, the battery won't hold a charge. At least mine didn't at 4degrees F. That cost me great video of a deer coming right up on me...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Head mounted video often looks funky with long guns. Tilted because your head is and not pointed the right way, your eyes may be looking down the barrel but your head is facing off at an angle.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest doing a body cam. Easier to mount, easier to rig up an external battery hidden inside your jacket where it's warm. And the camera angle would be far less awkward.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post