SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hypothetical question for our electricians
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hypothetical question for our electricians Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
I belong to a group known as Boondockers Welcome (www.boondockerswelcome.com) where property owners let people, who are traveling in their RV, stay on their property for a night or two for free when they are traveling from point A to Point B. We do this for free but are free to charge a modest fee if we offer additional services like electricity.

I currently have a 20 amp outlet on the side of my building that I offer for use and am considering adding another 30 amp outlet as those are very common in the RV world and would allow travelers the opportunity to use their AC if needed.

So I am trying to determine how much is reasonable to charge and my question is this...what is the maximum kilowatts that could be used in a 24 hour period for both a 20 amp service and a 30 amp service.

Thanks!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Max usage for the 30 amp service absolutely 100% loaded for 24 hours is ~87KWh.

Max usage for the 20 amp service absolutely 100% loaded for 24 hours is ~58KWh.

Those are both for 120VAC service.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Assuming an 80% continuous load (NEC code) on each circuit:

46.08 kWh/day on the 20 amp circuit and 69.12 kWh/day on the 30 amp circuit.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
I knew I could count on SF!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
If I may provide input, if you want to provide for all, go with a 50 amp. Even better one of each. I say that from the RV'ers point of view especially if attempting anything 5th wheel.

State parks here in GA offer a night with water, a dump station, and power in the $50 range. Take dump and water away and things probably drop into the $23 range.

Considering you are aiming for boondockers, they will typically want to be as close to $0.00 as possible.

Start in the $15 range and see what happens, if you get swamped, go to $20. My bet is you're going to want this to be more "occasional" than you think.

Most in the RV world are great people, but there are always bad apples. A few of those and you'll likely cease.

If you got this far, I am not an electrician or an engineer so my answer isn't qualified. Wink

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
If I may provide input, if you want to provide for all, go with a 50 amp. Even better one of each. I say that from the RV'ers point of view especially if attempting anything 5th wheel...... Wink

I would also do a 50A for circuit protection of your elec system and their RV. You don't want someone with a 50A RV using a 50-30 amp dogbone and then promptly firing up both of their A/C units. Breaker pops and they are rooting around trying to figure it out.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would buy some used electric meters and have them installed.

Check the local power company since they would have a calibration shop,etc

https://www.ekmmetering.com/co...ss-through-kwh-meter

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
This is what I've installed in the past for RVers. Equip, wire, and install is not cheap.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I understand the comments about offering 50 amp service. Most of the rigs that stay with us are larger Class A’s and Fifth Wheels because we have a large paved lot that makes it fairly easy to maneuver around in.
I will have to see what I would be allowed to charge and what it would cost for me to install the service...

------------------
Eddie

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I think some of the RV hookups are 220 VAC for air conditioning, heating, water heating, ovens, clothes drying, etc ???

if so, then some of the KWh calculations may need to be revisited.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I think some of the RV hookups are 220 VAC for air conditioning, heating, water heating, ovens, clothes drying, etc ???

if so, then some of the KWh calculations may need to be revisited.

They can hook up to:

20a 120v - Duplex outlet
30a 120v - Trailer plug
50a 240v - Range plug

30a is most common from what I have seen, but I'm not an RVer, just someone who installed a few plugs. Cost would be dependant on load, which would be dependant on RV size, amenities, season, and cooking.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Most RVs treat a 50 amp hookup as two 120v legs. Very few use 240v.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I understand the comments about offering 50 amp service. Most of the rigs that stay with us are larger Class A’s and Fifth Wheels because we have a large paved lot that makes it fairly easy to maneuver around in.
I will have to see what I would be allowed to charge and what it would cost for me to install the service...

Are there any potential permit/licensing issues in selling electrical service there? Might want to check with the locals on that.

Side question: with additional people/traffic, are there potential trash/septic issues and if so, how do you prevent/monitor/charge for those?

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

Are there any potential permit/licensing issues in selling electrical service there? Might want to check with the locals on that.

Side question: with additional people/traffic, are there potential trash/septic issues and if so, how do you prevent/monitor/charge for those?

Good questions.
First of all in the course of a year we may have 12 to 15 guests, mostly in the Spring and Fall and I have yet to have 2 rigs stay at the same time.

As far as “selling” electricity all we are trying to do is to recoup our costs not make money. This concept relies on the good will of all of its participants. Right now the “suggested rate to charge for 15-20 amp service is $5/day ...not a whole lot in the greater scheme of things. Very few hosts are in a position to offer a larger service so that is why I have reached out to SF.

Along those same lines all of our “guests’ are rated as are the hosts to verify that the listing is accurate and the guests abide by the standards required to be a member. I have only had one bad apple (she drove her 30’ Class A through our lawn after specifically being told to stay on the pavement due to recent rains. She got stuck and my neighbor had to come over with his farm tractor to pull her out. She lost her subscription and was booted from the program). Everyone else has been very nice and left the place as they found it.

If you’d like to see my listing just check below..

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/hosts/13163/

------------------
Eddie

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Given what you have to work with, I would go with a setup like Skins pointed out. It is common in RV parks. It will take a bit to recoup the outlay, but I think you do this more for ghe interaction with the guests based on your comments and theirs.

I personally would gladly pay $20 a night, but doubt $15 wouldn't cover the electric used overnight. Most units have a converter so unless hvac or microwave is used, the cost to provide lights should be minimal and consistent.

Do you have to keep the same price for a specific pwriod of time? If not, you could adjust the price based on a 3 month cycle of actual use. Then you have a seasonal rate that covers you in most situations.

If I find myself nearby, I'll look you up.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Most RVs treat a 50 amp hookup as two 120v legs. Very few use 240v.

Yes, but they are 2-30amp 125 volt hook ups from a single 50amp/250volt, so technically using the same electricity if loaded.

50 amp/ 240 volt= 12 KWH or 288 killowatts per day maximum.

In my experience an RV will be pulling close to their shorepower connection amperage during the day, with a/c, cooking, etc. etc......at night it will drop to less than half.

OP- while you don't want to make money, you should still charge enough to recoup the other costs besides electric (the electric components used to run the electric, wear and tear on your driveway, etc.)

I'd think $15 a day for a 30 amp/125 volt is in line......and $35 a day for a 50amp if you install it. The other thing, and I don't even know if you have the room for 2 RV's, but with a 50 amp connection, you can get a splitter and 2 different RV's can plug in 1 30amp/125 volt cord each to the 1 outlet. Breakers should be right next to the plug, so you can connect the cord without it being hot, AND if there's an electrical fire someone can shut the breaker off right away.

Yes I agree a 50amp, 30amp, and 20amp connection would make sense.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
How not to 'lectricical stuff.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=slntS_1573385668

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post