SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Last survivor of USS Tang
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last survivor of USS Tang Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
It appears I made a mistake - Mr. Leibold did not pass away - the article was simply talking about his life. The link I clicked on the read the article indicated he had passed away.

I've read several books about the USS Tang. RIP Mr. Leibold.

https://americanmilitarynews.c...ry-world-war-ii-sub/

quote:

Sept. 2 marks the 75th anniversary of the formal Japanese surrender ceremony that officially brought World War II to an end.

Navy veteran William “Bill” Leibold remembers that time well. He had just been released from a secret Japanese military compound, known as the “torture farm,” after 10 months in captivity. His weight, he recalls, had dropped from 172 to less than 60 pounds.

“I try not to think of those days,” says the Escondido resident, 97. “We weren’t fed regularly.”

Leibold was one of nine survivors of a crew of 87 on the Navy submarine, USS Tang. The sailors were plucked out of frigid ocean water by a Japanese patrol boat after the sub had aggressively attacked its convoy in the Formosa Strait en route to the Philippines.

After sinking to its watery grave on Oct. 25, 1944, the Tang was later credited with taking out 33 enemy ships, carrying out daring attacks and rescuing numerous downed airmen. It earned the WW II reputation as the most lethal Allied sub in the Pacific.

In a tragic quirk of fate, as the Tang fired its 24th and final torpedo before heading home that October night, the torpedo malfunctioned. Leibold was stationed on the bridge.

“When we fired, the torpedo surfaced instead of running as it should have. It flew out of the water and then went back down,” he recalls. The erratic torpedo continued to splash up and down like a porpoise in a semi-circle on the port side, as the sub built up speed to move out of harm’s way.

“All of us on the bridge were concerned, but I don’t think any of us fully realized it was heading back to hit us in the stern,” says Leibold, who served as chief boatswain’s mate. “No one to this day knows what caused it to run erratic. Something just went wrong with the torpedo itself. Possibly it was damaged during loading into the tube. Any number of things could have happened. No one will ever know.”

The rest is naval history. And the details are clearly imbedded in Leibold’s memory:

“When it hit our stern, we went down fast. The aft torpedo room flooded. Half the compartments flooded rapidly…. I went down with the ship. I don’t know how far. I was able to swim back to the surface. I could see the bow of the Tang still out of the water, but I couldn’t swim against the current to get to it. None of the men on the bridge were able to swim back to the bow.”

The disaster unfolded in the 2:30 a.m. darkness. Leibold guesses that maybe he was submerged about 50 feet before he felt a thud and started swimming upward.

Trying to stay afloat, Leibold kicked off his shoes and took off his trousers. He tied the pant legs together, tried to inflate them and slip them over his head to use as a lifesaver-like flotation device as the crew had been instructed, but they didn’t hold air.

Eventually he heard a nearby voice call out. It was Floyd Caverly, a radio technician who, by luck, had been dispatched to the bridge to resolve a communication problem moments before the sinking.

“He told me he couldn’t swim,” says Leibold. “I told him he could float.” Leibold continued to coax him on when to inhale and exhale in the choppy water to keep from drowning. Leibold later received the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for heroic conduct for supporting a shipmate in the water for eight hours.

It was discovered later that half of the 87 members were killed upon impact. Others were trapped in what had become a metal tomb on the ocean floor 180 feet deep. The incident made naval history because this was the only sub to have survivors ascend during an emergency without surface assistance by using the Momsen lung, a crude breathing device stored on the sub for use in such emergencies.

Some who reached the surface could not swim and drowned, Liebold says. In the end, only nine of the original 87 crew, including Leibold and three others from the bridge, survived the night and were picked up by the Japanese.

They were placed in solitary confinement in a navy compound in Ofuna, Japan but not classified as prisoners of war, Leibold says.

Nearly every day they were taken out to “swab the halls,” he recalls, explaining it was really a ruse to give the guards “an opportunity to exercise what we called their baseball bats. We were beaten almost every time we were taken out of the cells.”

When asked what kept him going, Leibold said: “I don’t know. It was just the determination to survive. Staying alive was the one thing we had to do.”

Just before their liberation on Aug. 22, 1945, they were moved to a separate section of a POW camp run by the Japanese army.

Leibold has recorded an oral history of his ordeal and was extensively interviewed by Alex Kershaw, an author who specializes in military history. Kershaw wrote the dramatic story of the Tang legend and tragedy in his 2008 book, “Escape from the Deep: The Epic Story of a Legendary Submarine and Her Courageous Crew.”

“Bill is (the) last survivor of (the) greatest U.S. submarine in history,” Kershaw tells me. “He helped found Navy Seals. He’s a living legend in U.S. Navy. Brave, honorable, selfless, the best example of the greatest generation.”

Kershaw credits Leibold with helping win the war through his role in the “silent service” — the submarine force that strangled the Japanese Empire through its sinkings and blockade. “He’s also a star of my book,” Kershaw notes.

After being liberated, Leibold returned to the United States to find that his wife, his high school sweetheart, Grace, was still waiting for him. A less lucky fate greeted four of the seven married ex-prisoners. Having received a telegram notifying them of the ship’s loss, their brides, understandably, had moved on with their lives and remarried.

Despite his ordeal, Leibold completed a 40-year career in the Navy, returning several times to Japanese waters as commander of a submarine service/rescue ship.

Having previously been homeported in San Diego, he and Grace stayed and raised their three children in Chula Vista. The couple later built a home on Palomar Mountain, aptly nicknamed the “Ship House” for its shape and windows.

Several years later, they bought a house in Escondido. After Grace passed away, he moved into an independent living facility.

Leibold stayed in touch with his former Tang crewmates and even held a reunion in the Ship House. Floyd Caverly died in 2011, just shy of his 94th birthday and is buried here at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery.

Leibold is the last survivor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4x5,

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Wow. That’s what I immediately thought, and still do. Wow!

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you haven't read about the USS Tang, it's really an amazing story.

Leibold was on the exterior of the submarine, standing on the bridge, when it sank. He was able to swim clear after being briefly submerged, along with some of the other bridge crew.

Even more amazingly, five men were able to successfully escape from the torpedo room in the forward interior of the sunken submarine and make their way to the surface, after it had already settled on the ocean floor at around 180 feet! Using either Momsen Devices (early crude rebreathers) or by simply exhaling continuously as they ascended (a risky emergency method known as "blow and go"), they were able to rise to the surface slowly enough to survive. It's believed that around seven others also attempted to ascend from the sunken sub, but died from drowning or decompression-related complications.

These five survivors from the Tang's torpedo room represent the only Americans in history to ever escape from a sunken submarine without surface assistance.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sad to see them (WW2 veterans) fading away now but the youngest are well into their 90's.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting 4x5.

What an amazing piece of our history. Thank you is far to little to Mr. Liebold and his mates. May you all RIP.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Fair Winds and Following Seas, Sailor,
God Bless You

Posts: 2769 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace, Mr. Leibold.

I had the opportunity to do a walk-through of the USS Bowfin, a sister ship to the USS Tang. It's quite astonishing what these brave men did in these boats.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
I had the opportunity to do a walk-through of the USS Bowfin, a sister ship to the USS Tang.

The USS Razorback, another sister ship to the USS Tang, is a museum ship in Little Rock, Arkansas that's also open for tours.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Dick O'Kane, the skipper of USS Tang, wrote a must-read book "Clear the Bridge." He was also on USS Wahoo under legendary Dudley "Mush" Morton. It's an outstanding book.

Tang's sinking was not unique; USS Tullibee was also struck and sunk by one of her own torpedoes. The only way we know of these two is because they left survivors. It's possible other subs suffered the same fate, going down with all hands.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
"William ‘Bill’ Leibold, 97, of Escondido, served aboard the submarine Tang and is a U.S. Navy ‘living legend’
+++LINK+++
Aug. 31, 2020"
What a remarkable man but I think he is still cheating Death.

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Did they sail that up the river to Little Rock ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I'd also recommend "Clear the Bridge", written by the CO, Dick O'Kane. O'Kane was a legendary XO and CO, credited with the most successful combat patrols of WW II. MOH, 3x Navy Cross, 3x Silver Stars, Legion of Merit, etc.

I have two friends that served on one of our spec ops boats, the USS Parche. While they were at Pearl Harbor, one of the enlisted crew found RADM O'Kane's USNA class ring in the sand - he had lost it on the beach during WW II. They found him upon return to Mare Island (which is close to Petaluma, where RADM O'Kane retired), and invited him down to the base to give it back to him. My friend said it was an amazing event - after what was supposed to be a short ceremony, they sat in the wardroom with the legendary sub commander, and apparently swapped stories for the rest of the afternoon...

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-B...9780528810589&sr=8-1

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
I'd also recommend "Clear the Bridge", written by the CO, Dick O'Kane. O'Kane was a legendary XO and CO, credited with the most successful combat patrols of WW II. MOH, 3x Navy Cross, 3x Silver Stars, Legion of Merit, etc.

I have two friends that served on one of our spec ops boats, the USS Parche. While they were at Pearl Harbor, one of the enlisted crew found RADM O'Kane's USNA class ring in the sand - he had lost it on the beach during WW II. They found him upon return to Mare Island (which is close to Petaluma, where RADM O'Kane retired), and invited him down to the base to give it back to him. My friend said it was an amazing event - after what was supposed to be a short ceremony, they sat in the wardroom with the legendary sub commander, and apparently swapped stories for the rest of the afternoon...

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-B...9780528810589&sr=8-1

Great story!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Tang's sinking was not unique; USS Tullibee was also struck and sunk by one of her own torpedoes. The only way we know of these two is because they left survivors. It's possible other subs suffered the same fate, going down with all hands.

Sadly, the US suffered from numerous issues with their torpedoes during WW2, including the Mk. 13 aerial torpedo used by torpedo bombers, as well as the Mk. 14 and Mk. 18 torpedoes used by submarines.

Reports from submariners abound of faulty torpedoes exploding prematurely, failing to explode despite solid hits, or circling back to the firing sub (as in the case of the USS Tang). There were 24 confirmed reports of faulty torpedo circle runs, resulting in the sinking of two subs (the USS Tullibee and USS Tang), and 22 others having to dodge their own ordnance.

And reading about the early naval battles in the Pacific involving torpedo bombers, you really empathize with the pilots. Torpedo bombers had to line up on enemy ships and fly low and slow, just to get into position to drop their torpedoes, making them sitting ducks. So these brave me would have to try to perform death-defying feats and be shot down in droves just attempting to get into position, only to have their torpedoes malfunction or fail in many cases.

It was all a result of the US Navy refusing to spend the money on proper testing of the torpedoes during the lean pre-war years of the 1930s. Pinching pennies cost lives.

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
It appears I made a mistake - Mr. Leibold did not pass away - the article was simply talking about his life. The link I clicked on the read the article indicated he had passed away.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Did they sail that up the river to Little Rock ?

They towed/pushed the USS Razorback up the Mississippi River and then up the Arkansas River, to its current berth on the Arkansas River in Little Rock.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If you haven't read about the USS Tang, it's really an amazing story.

Leibold was on the exterior of the submarine, standing on the bridge, when it sank. He was able to swim clear after being briefly submerged, along with some of the other bridge crew.

Even more amazingly, five men were able to successfully escape from the torpedo room in the forward interior of the sunken submarine and make their way to the surface, after it had already settled on the ocean floor at around 180 feet! Using either Momsen Devices (early crude rebreathers) or by simply exhaling continuously as they ascended (a risky emergency method known as "blow and go"), they were able to rise to the surface slowly enough to survive. It's believed that around seven others also attempted to ascend from the sunken sub, but died from drowning or decompression-related complications.

These five survivors from the Tang's torpedo room represent the only Americans in history to ever escape from a sunken submarine without surface assistance.

Damn. What a story.

Thanks.

I'll stop snickering about 'Tang' now.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
How deep (inland) can the US Navy and Coast Guard operate in our freshwater river systems, I wonder.

From a navigable depth and width perspective.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It'll vary significantly between different vessels.

Historically, these areas of operation have been divided into two (now three) separate classifications, with dedicated vessels for each type: "blue water" (open ocean), "brown water" (inland), and the newer intermediate category of "green water" (coastal areas/harbors/etc.).

The Navy and Coast Guard have various small "brown water" vessels for inland waterway use, but they're not designed for oceangoing.

"Green water" vessels are smaller, shorter distance oceangoing naval vessels designed for use primarily closer to shore/port. (These are usually defensive vessels, incapable of long distance naval power projection.) They aren't designed specifically for inland water, but are usually shallow/small enough that they could potentially operate partway up some larger/deeper rivers, if needed.

But you're not sailing most "blue water" long distance oceangoing vessels very far up most rivers, especially with larger vessels like aircraft carriers. Even the smallest US destroyers have something like a 30 foot draught.

There's some crossover too, like the Navy's new Littoral Combat Ships, which are long distance oceangoing vessels designed to be capable of also operating close to shore. Sort of "blue water" vessels with the capability of also operating in shallower "green water" areas, and with relatively shallow drafts of 13-14 feet they could also possibly operate partway up some rivers.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

I'll stop snickering about 'Tang' now.

Practically all US WWII subs were named after sea creatures (there may have been exceptions, such as the older S-boats that only had numbers (S-42, etc) ). Some names were obvious fish names, such as Bass, Cod, Swordfish, while others were really obscure (try coming up with 250+ unique 'fish names') such as Cachalot (another name for Sperm Whale), Torsk, Odax, etc.

There are some sub names that I believe will never be re-used. USS Shark was sunk with all hands in (probably) February 1942. The US launched the USS Shark II, which was sunk with all hands in October 1944. USS Scorpion was sunk with all hands (presumably striking a mine) in early 1945. A nuclear-powered USS Scorpion was lost with all hands in 1968; likely from the explosion of a defective torpedo, though this has not been proven and speculation will go on forever as to her real cause of loss.

The US Navy commissioned the USS Tang (SS-563, as compared to the original SS-306) as the lead of a new class of diesel subs in the early 1950s.

A Tang is a goofy looking reef fish (in Finding Nemo, he was the yellow one obsessed with bubbles).

It never occurred to me that the ship's name could serve as a double entendre. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post